New Dry Curing Chamber Build...42cu.ft. stainless double door

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
So I am thinking of using F fornoa 's idea of a purge system on a timer for air exchange.
https://www.smokingmeatforums.com/threads/curing-chamber-modification.316939/#post-2360858

But instead of the main chamber, I will purge the little dH fridge I use for dehumidification. Doing it this way, once it is purged (the air will be very humid), when the dH cycle kicks on, the fridge will start cooling down before the fan kick on (on a timer) and all the humidity that got pushed in with the outside air can condense on the cooling plate! I can remove it before it gets to the chamber! Thinking of using one of those small 4.5CFM fans to circulate the air while the fridge is on, then shut off when the dH fans kick on. Any ideas for control on that JC in GB JC in GB ?

Every purge would be 4% air exchanged....i.e. 1.7 cu.ft. divided by 42.5 cu.ft.

So I am thinking of using F fornoa 's idea of a purge system on a timer for air exchange.
https://www.smokingmeatforums.com/threads/curing-chamber-modification.316939/#post-2360858

But instead of the main chamber, I will purge the little dH fridge I use for dehumidification. Doing it this way, once it is purged (the air will be very humid), when the dH cycle kicks on, the fridge will start cooling down before the fan kick on (on a timer) and all the humidity that got pushed in with the outside air can condense on the cooling plate! I can remove it before it gets to the chamber! Thinking of using one of those small 4.5CFM fans to circulate the air while the fridge is on, then shut off when the dH fans kick on. Any ideas for control on that JC in GB JC in GB ?

Every purge would be 4% air exchanged....i.e. 1.7 cu.ft. divided by 42.5 cu.ft.
Let me think on that a bit.

Reactions: indaswamp
Ah, I see. I quessed you had an Italian connection.
As it happens, I was born in the tiny mountainside town of Lettopalena P. Chieti. Everyone there was a Salumista, so there was no need for a Norcini. That's why I wasn't aware of the significance of that word.
Cheers John

One question, are you trying to purge only the air from the dehumidifier/freezer unit or the entire chamber?
Just the little dehumidifier refrigerator so I can use the small refrigerator to condense the water vapor before introducing that air into the chamber.

JC in GB JC in GB
Have not seen you on SMF lately...hope life has turned around for you and is treating you well.

So-here is what I am thinking... a series of timer relays to cascade and control the purge through the little dH fridge. At the start of the dH cycle, when the controller kicks the power on, first thing to happen would be for the purge cycle to kick on. This would involve 2 fans and 2 solenoid valve (fail close so when power is off, they are closed; when power is on, they open). If I use the small 5.4CFM fans, a 20 second purge would suffice. Next in the cascade, a timer relay for the fridge to kick on after the purge; say 30 seconds. Let that run for 3-4 minutes to cool the new air and dehumidify. Probably will need to install a small recycle fan in the dH fridge for this phase to efficiently dehumidify the new air. (still thinking on how to power that). Next in the cascade would be for the dH fans to kick on. Timer delay set for 5 minutes? Then everything would proceed as normal...the system would run until the target low DH setting has been reached and the system shuts off and resets for the next cycle.

Thoughts???

purge fans and solenoid valves relay- timer to power off
refrigerator timer relay- timer to power on
dH fans to circulate air through dH fridge-timer to power on

JC in GB JC in GB
Have not seen you on SMF lately...hope life has turned around for you and is treating you well.

So-here is what I am thinking... a series of timer relays to cascade and control the purge through the little dH fridge. At the start of the dH cycle, when the controller kicks the power on, first thing to happen would be for the purge cycle to kick on. This would involve 2 fans and 2 solenoid valve (fail close so when power is off, they are closed; when power is on, they open). If I use the small 5.4CFM fans, a 20 second purge would suffice. Next in the cascade, a timer relay for the fridge to kick on after the purge; say 30 seconds. Let that run for 3-4 minutes to cool the new air and dehumidify. Probably will need to install a small recycle fan in the dH fridge for this phase to efficiently dehumidify the new air. (still thinking on how to power that). Next in the cascade would be for the dH fans to kick on. Timer delay set for 5 minutes? Then everything would proceed as normal...the system would run until the target low DH setting has been reached and the system shuts off and resets for the next cycle.

Thoughts???

At this point, I think I need a block diagram to understand all the gates and times.

This summer has been pretty lame as far as life is concerned. I am hoping the winter and next summer are better.

Family issues have kept me busy. I hope this smooths out so I can get back to some sense of normalcy.

I see I even let my Forum subscription lapse.

Driving your fans should not be an issue, just let me know the voltage and current you need to control and I can come up with something.

JC

Checking on the chamber this morning, one of the TEM chips went out. Took about 10 minutes to change it out and I did not have to shut the cooling system down. Just de-energized the power to the power supply going to this TEM, disconnected the wires, then removed the middle fan on the TEM heat exchange (2 wire clips...easy) so I could loosen the bracket bolts. Had the new TEM chip ready to go with thermal paste, reinstall and tighten down hand tight just so the exchanger does not move...not too tight. Put the middle fan back in place with the clips, reconnect power, and done.

Last edited:
Reactions: JC in GB
I just figured out that you can run a tighter dead band when using Centigrade instead of Fahrenheit on the Inkbird temperature controller. Cool! (0.3C which is ~0.5F)

I just figured out that you can run a tighter dead band when using Centigrade instead of Fahrenheit on the Inkbird temperature controller. Cool! (0.3C which is ~0.5F)
Most thermometer use the centigrade scale internally. The bigger numerical band with fahrenheit just comes because the scale is wider.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky