New Carolina Smoker, and Duke Basketball Fan

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

rikistev

Original poster
Jan 3, 2011
Wife gots me a smoker for Christmas. Brinkman electric smoker from the Home Depot. Already smoked me up some Ribs, Large Chicken Legs, and a Pork But. Delicious. Pork But took a lot longer than I expected, this here smoker doesn't get up to more than 205 degrees, but man it was good after 15.5 hours. Could have used a few more even I reckon but it was cooked up to 160 degrees.

Anyhow, glad to be smoking, and checking out this forum.

And oh yeah, go Duke. Repeat coming if they stay healthy.

Welcome to SMF, Glad to have you with us.

This is the place to learn, lots of good info and helpful friendly Members.

For those of you new to Smoking, be sure to check out Jeff's 5 Day Smoking Basics eCourse.

Click Here it's "FREE" ... 5 Day eCourseE

Welcome to the SMF. Glad to have you here. Lots of good folks, great recipes and knowledge. Looking forward to your first qview.
PDT_Armataz_01_34.gif
 By the way, don't trust the factory therms. They can be off by as much as 30-40 degrees.

Welcome Aboard friend! I don't have the electric brinkman but it seems suspicious that you can't get your temps up? Do you have the vents open?

Hey there. The vents, well, this one here doesn't have vents. The lid is supposed to not fit tight so it can release smoke up, and there is an access door at the bottom to add wood chips/water if needed during smoking.

I used my regular dual thermometer I use in the oven, shows cooking and food temp. It is pretty dang accurate. Not sure what the deal is, but I might just get another thermo meter to check it?

rikistev

Welcome to SMF a lot of great people here an even better people. The next order of business for you is to seek professional help with the delusion about Duke repeating,this  dangerous  but it can be teated with help. I suggest that you seek out immediate help.

Welcome anyway!

Welcome!!! DO NOT TRUST FACTORY THREMOS.do yourself a huge favor and buy yourself a new one like a maverick or something.....you will be glad you did!!

Hey there. The vents, well, this one here doesn't have vents. The lid is supposed to not fit tight so it can release smoke up, and there is an access door at the bottom to add wood chips/water if needed during smoking.

I used my regular dual thermometer I use in the oven, shows cooking and food temp. It is pretty dang accurate. Not sure what the deal is, but I might just get another thermo meter to check it?
You can easily check the accuracy of your therm. Just boil some water & see if it reads 212 degrees. I recheck mine every time I smoke something. It has a side benefit of sterilizing the probe also. Good luck!

Those things are thin, single wall bodies and so are extremely sensitive to wind and low temps. A wind break is

necessary if it's windy and I have draped mine with and old automotive fender-cover to retain heat.

Here is a cheap windbreak I came up with a long time back that worked well. If needed I could put cardboard on

top and also across front and I could cook in really cold weather.

063023ab_Windbreaker.jpg

icon_cool.gif

First off Welcome to SMF. You'll like it here for there are alot of really good folks here that would just love to help you with just about anything to do with smoking. Now there are alot of proven recipes for some amazing things here too. So if you need sign up for the E-Course it's free and it will give you the basics of smoking and some good methods to use also. So the next big thing for you to do is go out and get you something to smoke and if you happen to have any questions just post it here and we will be happy to answer them for you. 

Welcome To Your New Addiction

Maybe Duke but we already have.

GO GATORS   

Thanks for that. I heard the same thing yesterday speaking with a buddy of mine, so was thinking about getting some insulation, like you use for a hot water heater, and wrap it up on cold and/or windy days. Great Idea!!

From outside of Raleigh over on the West Side of Town. How about you?

Got a brisket and some ribs setup for smoking tomorrow. Will get some pic's and let y'all know how it goes.

From outside of Raleigh over on the West Side of Town. How about you?
Welcome to SMF! Fellow Raleigh and Duke Fan here! I also work at Duke so its kind of a no brainer, HAHA. Im over by NCSU off of Western. Good luck with the Brisket and post some pics 
beercheer.gif

Chris

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky