Nepas Pepperoni

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

BGKYSmoker

Nepas OTBS #242
Original poster
Staff member
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Group Lead
Dec 25, 2010
Rineyville, KY
A hunting friend of mine asked me if i could make some pepperoni for his father. He said he requested my kind.

Ok my friend.

Here is my apple smoked pepperoni for your dad.

My mix and cure. This will make just a tad over 2 lbs. You can used GB or cut venison/pork

656278d2_DSC007111.jpg

Using 32mm collagen, I will de case it after blooming for him.

e06b30ca_DSC00712.jpg

bb5a2a77_DSC00713.jpg

Drying the case some before the smoker.

2f8fa880_DSC00715.jpg

PID starting at 130* for 1.5 hours then bumping in 10* every 2.5 hrs.

dce38b91_DSC00719.jpg

This is after the 130-140* PID times. Right now PID at 160*

c2ab39d2_DSC00736.jpg

BBL

Got the pepperoni done lastnight. In fridge now going to be cut and vac sealed later.

20101c21_DSC00745.jpg

03167287_DSC00746.jpg

nepas,

That is some good looking Pepperoni. Where might I find that recepie you used? I too have a Bradley and a PID so I can follow your instructions.

Thanks

nepas,

Where did you find the recipe for this Pepperoni? Is it posted somewhere I can find it?

Thanks,

Mike

nepas,

Where did you find the recipe for this Pepperoni? Is it posted somewhere I can find it?

Thanks,

Mike
Mike

Here ya go.

2 pounds lean ground beef (85% lean or leaner)
2 teaspoons liquid smoke flavoring (opt)
2 teaspoons ground black pepper
2 teaspoons mustard seed
1 1/2 or 2 teaspoons crushed fennel seed
1 or 2 teaspoons crushed red pepper
1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
1 teaspoon paprika
1/2 teaspoon sugar

1/2 cup water
2 teaspoons Morton's Tender Quick curing salt or just a tad under 1/2 tsp cure #1

32-33mm collagen casing

You can hold the mix in the fridge 48 hours prior to stuffing if you wish.

Mix the above into the water for easier mixing into the meat.

Thank You for that recipe. I have been on a hunt for a good Pepperoni recipe for a while. One last question....

What was the IT when you pulled it?

Since it has some cure in it I am guessing anywhere from 140 to 160 but leaning more towards 160 since it looks like you can just eat it as is.

I hope i'm not out of line by asking this here, but has anybody made a pepperoni mix with smoked bacon bits in the mix.

I am toying with the idea of making a meat mix of 2 ponds beef fat, 8 ponds lean beef and 3 ponds of hickory smoked bacon bits.

Then use much the same seasoning as I have been reading here with Nepa's recipe and stuffing the meat into I think 19 mm calagen casing,

Anybody have any pro's or cons on this idea?

I'm new and you cannot hurt my feelings

Thanks, Rich

I hope i'm not out of line by asking this here, but has anybody made a pepperoni mix with smoked bacon bits in the mix.

I am toying with the idea of making a meat mix of 2 ponds beef fat, 8 ponds lean beef and 3 ponds of hickory smoked bacon bits.

Then use much the same seasoning as I have been reading here with Nepa's recipe and stuffing the meat into I think 19 mm calagen casing,

Anybody have any pro's or cons on this idea?

I'm new and you cannot hurt my feelings

Thanks, Rich
I never did that, because the Bacon has already been cured.

Maybe if you mix everything else with the cure that is needed first, and give that over night to cure.

Then the next day, add the bacon pieces just before stuffing & smoking.

I'm just winging it here, but those are my thoughts on this.

Bear

I would go this way. And skip the bacon. It will impart the pepperoni taste. But thats just me.

8 lbs lean beef

1 lb pork butt

1 lb beef fat

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky