Need some sausage making help...

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

kevin james

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
Jul 30, 2012
Sacramento, CA
So I'm a relative newb to sausage making, but I've made a few batches to date which I have been relatively pleased with. For now, I'm focusing strictly on your standard Texas BBQ house style sausages and just two main flavors at that, all beef "Texas Hot Guts", and Beef & Pork Jalapeno Cheese. As far as the recipes and flavors, while I'm still tweaking them to dial them in I'm about 90% there and pretty satisfied. These are a slow smoked type of sausage using cure #1, not a fresh sausage.

My problem, and where I need some help is with the casings, and more specifically the texture of the finished product as something seems off, and I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong or how to fix it. Long story short once the sausages have gone through the entire process from prep, to stuffing, linking, smoking etc., the casings seem overly tough. One thing about this type of sausage is they say the casings should have a nice "snap" to them when you bite in to them etc. Now, to be 100% honest and tell on myself a little here, I'm in California, and I've never even stepped foot in Texas or tried any of these sausages from an authentic source, so I can't say with 100% certainty that mine are "wrong", but they just seem overly tough and therefor not as enjoyable as they should be. So I guess I'm wondering if "tough casings" are common etc. and if not how can I fix that.

My recipes and process is based on those from a well known BBQ Youtuber Bradley Robinson a.k.a. Chud's BBQ who is from Leroy & Lewis BBQ in Austin Texas, who took the #5 spot on Texas Monthly magazine's famous Top 50 BBQ spot list back in October. For anyone not familiar with Chud, he is puting out some of the best BBQ related content on Youtube, especially for anyone trying to emulate authentic Texas style BBQ from spot's you'd find on the Texas top 50 list, like Franklin BBQ etc. I will link a couple of his videos below, but overall here is a summary of my process.

I am using 32-35MM natural hog casings (I have found I prefer just regular, NOT Pretubed as I'm making pretty small batches and it's just easier for me this way).
All my meat is trimmings off of my briskets and pork spare ribs which get me right around the 70/30 meat to fat ratio you want for good sausage.

Casing prep:
My casings are stored in a container that has them covered with water, and plenty of salt.
When I'm going to make a batch, I take the amount of casings I need out, rinse them gently with cold water to get any excess salt off, then sit them in a bowl of fresh cold water for a couple hours, switching the water out for fresh cold water about every 30 minutes. Then I run some cold water through the casings to make sure there is no salt on the inside, and then back into the bowl with new fresh cold water with the ends draped over the edge of the bowl while I get my stuffer loaded and ready to start stuffing.

Once the sausages are stuffed and linked, they go in to the refrigerator, uncovered over night. Based on Chud's videos, this is to help dry out and form a "pelical" on the casings, which will help the smoke stick, and will also contribute to the casings having the proper "snap".

After the overnight rest, they go in to the smoker at roughly 150 degrees to cold smoke for about 4-5 hours, although it's really more of a warm smoke as the smoker is just up out of the danger zone, but the recipe also has the proper amount of cure #1 in it just to be on the safe side.

After 4-5 hours in the smoke they come out, and go straight in to an ice bath to stop the cooking process, and according to Chud, this is also another essential step to getting the proper "snap". They are then removed after about 30 minutes, and dried.

At this point the sausages are ready to go. They can either be vac sealed for storage in the refrigerator or freezer, or put back in the smoker (or an oven) to bring the internal temp to 165 and eat immediately.

Any ideas on what I could try to fix my issue with tough casings? Any idea and feedback is greatly appreciated.

Here are a couple of Chud's videos on his sausage recepees/process. MIght as well link his videos to the same ones I'm doing, the all beef, and the jalapeno cheese.

Last edited:
Here are a few things to try:

1) buy your casings by the hank. Don’t buy the “for home use 25# of sausage” casings, they are packed in dry salt and are a pita even soaking and storing as you do. Buy casings that come packaged in salt water.

2) once cooled and bloomed, try cooking them on a hot grill. This will crisp the casing.

3) I’m smoking mine at around 140* for 4-5 hours then I’m finishing in the SV water bath to 152* IT. This makes a huge difference on the bite of the casing. The Polish poach at 170* after smoke but I think this is to hot for me. Either way the hot water finish is huge.

Hope some of this helps.

Once the sausages are stuffed and linked, they go in to the refrigerator, uncovered over night.
My opinion , don't do that . Not with sausage . Whole muscle meat and poultry yes . Hold linked sausage overnight in a plastic bag , or on a sheet pan covered with plastic wrap .
After holding overnight , hang at room temp for 60 to 90 minutes to warm up before going into the smoker .
Then do a dry cycle in the smoker . I start at 120 for an hour or 2 .
Then I start smoke for 3 hours or so , step the smoker to 130 / 140 .
I finish a couple different ways .
Smoke for color ,
20210111_150342.jpg
SV'd at 140 length of time for the size casing .
20210111_171646.jpg
Casing crisped up in a skillet on the stove . Add water and lid it up off the heat . Steam cooks it up .
20210129_080040.jpg
Or ,
Knockwurst smoked for color
20211008_143633.jpg
Poached in 176 degree water for 30 minutes .
20211008_150700.jpg
20211008_150703.jpg
The knockwurst is grilled when ready to eat .

Your casing prep should be good . I store mine wet . I really think drying uncovered overnight is causing some of the issue . I'm no expert though . Just my opinions , and where I landed over the years .

All good advice above^^^^^^.

Understuffed casings can be a little chewy, try to stuff the casing fully as this stretches the casing making it slightly thinner and when it cooks, it tightens up even more giving you a good snap.

Reactions: SmokinEdge
The quality of the casings can vary from producer to producer and sometimes that in itself can help out your finished product. You can also experiment with your times and temps because every smoker has it's own sweet spot.

It sounds like you are flushing, and soaking your casings correctly but I'll add a splash of vinegar to my soaking water.

Thanks for the tips guys. Going to try getting a hank of casings from thesausagemaker.com, I will try to make sure I am stuffing them tighter, I'll try NOT leaving them uncovered in the fridge overnight, and will try reheating in a sous vide bath or a hot grill.

Thanks for the tips guys. Going to try getting a hank of casings from thesausagemaker.com, I will try to make sure I am stuffing them tighter, I'll try NOT leaving them uncovered in the fridge overnight, and will try reheating in a sous vide bath or a hot grill.
The sous vide bath isn't just for reheating. Smoke your cured sausages at low temps for color, and once you have the color you want, finish the sausages in SV to 152*. Into cold water bath after the SV, then hang at room temp to bloom.
This from Doug is what I would recommend. The SV finish or a Polish style poaching finish is what softens the casing. This is the best method i have found, hands down.

Reactions: DougE
The sous vide bath isn't just for reheating. Smoke your cured sausages at low temps for color, and once you have the color you want, finish the sausages in SV to 152*. Into cold water bath after the SV, then hang at room temp to bloom.
I will definitely give it a try. Thanks!

Here's a few things that come to mind that I don't think were mentioned;
It's important to maintain at least 50% humidity during the cooking phase (after smoke phase).
Under stuffing will make for a tough casing.
You should soak your casings in 90°-100° water for 20 -30 minutes.

Last edited:
I had the same issue , something that helped me was to never exceed 100 degrees when drying your sausage before applying smoke . I also have been using a sous vide to finish to temp . . That has helped a bunch

Personally, I'm not a big fan of the pork casings from TSM. If you can get them from Syracuse casings. I would go that route. Never had a problem with them. And I don't buy a hank. Just their small tub packed in salt.

Yeah the last few buys of casings from TSM have been bad, cuts and tears. Try to get calibrated casings (same sz)

Globe casings
Dupey equip
Waltons
PS Seasoning.

Reactions: indaswamp
The last bucket I bought are tough / chewy . Even being stored wet .
I bought some pre-tubed TSM casings and found it easier to load on the stuffer without the sleeve, so I pulled them all off the tubes and put them in a jar of brine. Like you said, they end up somewhat tough and chewy. Casings are not understuffed or anything, I do a SV finish on smoked sausages, cook on the grill, and still have casings that are chewy.

Reactions: chopsaw
Yeah , something changed with the casings from TSM . I'm on my 5th bucket of Hog and never had an issue until this one .

Yeah , something changed with the casings from TSM . I'm on my 5th bucket of Hog and never had an issue until this one .
I'll finish out what I have because I'm cheap that way but I'll be ordering casings elsewhere when I need more.

I'll finish out what I have because I'm cheap that way but I'll be ordering casings elsewhere when I need more.
I was thinking the same , but I don't know if it's worth it . Ran 5 pounds of Italian yesterday .
Looks like these weren't turned inside out and scraped . They're not all like that , but they are all tough and chewy . These have been soaking since I bought them about 6 months ago . They never used to be like that .
20220826_074242.jpg
20220826_075851 (1).jpg

I was thinking the same , but I don't know if it's worth it . Ran 5 pounds of Italian yesterday .
Looks like these weren't turned inside out and scraped . They're not all like that , but they are all tough and chewy . These have been soaking since I bought them about 6 months ago . They never used to be like that .
View attachment 641975
View attachment 641976
Yeah, the ones I made my last run of jalapeno cheddar with were soaking in brine for at least 6 months, maybe a little longer. You either have to spit a lot of the casing out when eating or peel it off prior to. Like you say it isn't every one, but I'd say most.

Reactions: chopsaw
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky