Need some advice on venison sausage

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

shortend

Meat Mopper
Original poster
Apr 7, 2008
Waterloo, IA
OK, my fellow sausage "homies". I'm in need of some advice on using venison. I've eaten what I think are pretty good venison snack stix, venison summer sausage, and venison dried beef. They were done by one of our local small locker plants who is very well known for being an excellent processor. Back in my more youthful days, when I hunted quite a bit, I butchered my own deer. I'd cut out the back straps, hind quarter roasts, steaks etc. and debone the rest and take it to this locker plant for sticks and summer sausage. Since I didn't even consider making any of my own sausage, I never asked many questions. About all I gathered was that they added about 20% pork fat to the deer for the processing.

Now, I no longer hunt, but I'm definately into sausage making. Well, yesterday, a friend called and said he had a deer that he wants to give me to make sausage out of. He does his own cutting and deboning etc. and has that already done, iced down and into a large cooler. He's bringing that over to my place tomorrow. I told him I'd probably have to clean it up pretty good, getting as much sinew, silver skin, etc. removed as possible, cubed, vac packed and into the freezer pronto.

The plan I have, is to make most of it into deer sticks, summer sausage and pepperoni. What would you guys, who are experienced with venison, do to get the right fat content for making the sausages that I'm looking to do? Would you add 20% (by weight) pork fat trimmings from pork butt? Or, would you add 40% (by weight) cut up pork butt? Or, would you use 20% (by weight) pork back fat. Am I on the right track here, or am I "all wet" in my thinking?

I've been using A.C. Legg Old Plantation Snack Stick Seasoning and Old Plantation Summer Sausage Seasoning for my beef sticks and beef summer sausage. I really like how they turn out. I've been keeping the fat content at about 20% and the results have been excellent. Do you think that they will work just as well on venison, or should I look to use a different seasoning. I think I read something about needing a stronger seasoning for venison than for beef. The beef sticks do call for 20% pork by the way. Ya, I'll add cure #1 ,ECA after grinding and smoke to 160°-165°, as usual.

Sorry if I'm being a bit anal about this, but I really want these to turn out well, and I've never made vension sausages before. You guys have always been "spot on" with advice in the past, and I'm in need of your expertise again. Hell, even a friendly little pat on my chubby little head and a reassuring "you'll be just fine, ShortEnd", will do. (nepas will get that one)

Thanks,

ShortEnd

Well I just did 18 lbs of venison sausage... I added 20 % pork fat only... I figured it was deer sausage so I wanted it to taste like deer sausage so I didnt add any butt to it....plus it was for someone else..... It turned out pretty good but still had a little game flavor in it. It just needed a little more seasonings to make it just right compared to my regular sausage.... If I were to do it again I would add pork shoulder to the deer meat

heres the link   http://www.smokingmeatforums.com/t/113598/venison-sausage

Good luck

Joe

My friend just dropped off the deer meat. He doesn't want much of a gamey taste, so I'm thinking of using about 40% Pork Butt to the mix. Sound about right for what I'm after to you guys?

ShortEnd

I'm sure it will be fine at 40% butt............will be waiting for the qveiw.......................
icon14.gif

Joe

Hopefully I'm not to late to help with an opinion...

My friend just dropped off the deer meat. He doesn't want much of a gamey taste
If its for me & the boys, I add a little pork fat, maybe 5-10%.

Otherwise depending on what I have and which sausage I'm making, I add up to 40 or 50% pork butt. Pepperoni around 15-20%, snack sticks are more like 25%, kielbasa 30-40%. 50% if its all going to my in laws - my MIL will not eat venison unless I make it  :)

Yes, 40% pork butt will give you outstanding results, your friend will be happy.

FYI, I agree with your comment about venison needing stronger seasonings, for venison I up the dominant spices by 10-20%.  (I tend to like strong seasonings though.)

Hopefully I'm not to late to help with an opinion...

If its for me & the boys, I add a little pork fat, maybe 5-10%.

Otherwise depending on what I have and which sausage I'm making, I add up to 40 or 50% pork butt. Pepperoni around 15-20%, snack sticks are more like 25%, kielbasa 30-40%. 50% if its all going to my in laws - my MIL will not eat venison unless I make it  :)

Yes, 40% pork butt will give you outstanding results, your friend will be happy.

FYI, I agree with your comment about venison needing stronger seasonings, for venison I up the dominant spices by 10-20%.  (I tend to like strong seasonings though.)
Plj, thanks for the help. Your not at all too late. I'm not making the sausage 'til this weekend. I'm still just soakin' up all the good advice.

ShortEnd

We usually use a 60/40 mix for deer sausage. It all depends on how juicy you want it. If you use butts they should have enough fat so that the sausage is not dry. As far as the game taste, use a little brown sugar(1 pound to 100 pounds of meat).

Shortend

Your on track.....if you want to reduce the game in your product you should use some Trehalose.

Add your old plantation and cure to the liquid for better deliverance into the meat, the eca added at the end and mixed in by hand, never ground.

LOL

Yeah i got that one.

OK... here we go using words I am unfamiliar with..... I keep having to do google searches here lately to figure this stuff out........ I may not paid much attention when I were in school.....

trehelose...... that means hello three times.......

http://www.squidoo.com/trehalose

Joe

I always us the 60/40 combination on mine. Never had a bad batch yet. The Old Plantation mix is a good one., it's been around a long time. I use it myself sometimes too. Lem has some good seasoning too or use some of the tried and true recipes you'll find here on SMF.

Good Smokin....

I usually buy 10 pound boxes of bacon ends and irregular cuts, most of the time it is 1/4 inch thick and pretty fatty. I then mix 1 pound of this fatty bacon to 4 pounds of vennison and have not had any complaints yet.

Inever thought about using the ends and pieces...nice...I'll have to try that,. sounds great since I know the bacon will feed into the grinder well.

I usually buy 10 pound boxes of bacon ends and irregular cuts, most of the time it is 1/4 inch thick and pretty fatty. I then mix 1 pound of this fatty bacon to 4 pounds of vennison and have not had any complaints yet.

I have done this as well and it turned out great.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky