Need help with how much to cook

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

wboggs

Fire Starter
Original poster
Jul 27, 2018
Temple, TX
I'm responsible to provide the meat for a Bible study lunch of about 15 to 18 people. I'd love to smoke something but the time of the event sort of forbids it. I saw a great idea for meatloaf where someone took a bunt cake pan, lined it, inside to outside with bacon then filled it with the meatloaf mixture. I figure that's something I can accomplish in the morning before church but I'm not sure it will be enough for that many people. My plan is to cut the bunt cake meatloaf like a cake and provide buns for meatloaf sandwiches. How much meat do I need?

I would say 1/2 pound per person, maybe 1/4 pound per person if your making sandwiches and limiting amounts, I'm sure some of the real pros will chime in and give you a better idea of how much

Reactions: chef jimmyj
For sandwiches, rectangular disposible bread pans will yield a more uniform slice. Meatloaf made with 80/20 beef, Breadcrumbs, egg, etc., has about a 60% yield. A 1" slice of meatloaf is about 4ozs.
20 servings x 4oz = 80oz / 16 = 5lbs / .6 yield = 8.3~8.5 pounds of beef.
This gives some wiggle room for extra hungry or unexpected guests...JJ

Reactions: wboggs
For sandwiches, rectangular disposible bread pans will yield a more uniform slice. Meatloaf made with 80/20 beef, Breadcrumbs, egg, etc., has about a 60% yield. A 1" slice of meatloaf is about 4ozs.
20 servings x 4oz = 80oz / 16 = 5lbs / .6 yield = 8.3~8.5 pounds of beef.
This gives some wiggle room for extra hungry or unexpected guests...JJ
Thanks

If you run out and the people are still hungry, just turn that good book to Proverbs 23:2 and start preaching :emoji_joy:

I kid, I kid...
Gluttony and the knife if I recall? ~Harsh given the target audience lol.

There's always the pulled pork and crock pot option to reheat if you cook the day or night before, use a little finishing sauce in the pot to keep it moist for the reheat and no one's going hungry plus the economics are hard to beat.

Do a hot and cold tray for sides and you'll be the talk of the congregation!

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky