Need help reaching/keeping temps

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

checkerfred

Meat Mopper
Original poster
Aug 9, 2011
Alabama
hey guys, I purchased a Bravo Profire Kamado grill a few months ago from a local dealer for a great price. When I first got it, I messed around with it and was able to get temps up to around 700. Now I can’t get it above 500 and when trying to smoke at low temps like 225-250 it seems to just go out. If adding a chunk of wood to the top it will smoke for a little bit but then lacks enough heat to keep it going. I’m not sure what I’m doing wrong. Maybe the bottom coal grate is getting clogged? Would appreciate any input

Here’s the grill I got
http://bravokamadogrills.com/

First, I would review the owners manual to see if I missed any important info on care and feeding, then contact customer service to see if they had encountered that problem before. It should be pretty straight forward to see if the grate is clogging. Hope you get it figured out

First, I would review the owners manual to see if I missed any important info on care and feeding, then contact customer service to see if they had encountered that problem before. It should be pretty straight forward to see if the grate is clogging. Hope you get it figured out

Yeah I’ve done both of those. They don’t know anything about it. What a surprise since they sell the grill

I've had a Kamando for over 20 years and had the same problem!! Then I bought an ash bucket on Amazon, if you can't find it I'll go back and look it up. That helped. Then I added a BBQ Guru. Look it up, works great. Just set the temp and it controls the airflow to keep a constant temp.

Thanks for all the replies everyone. I am using lump. I talked with a guy from a Facebook group on the phone and he said I wasn’t using enough charcoal, to fill it up to the air vents, then light it in the center instead of using a chimney starter. I did this and sure enough, I got it up to 650 quickly. I was only using one chimney starter worth of charcoal before. I’ve still not messed with low and slow but I think I’ll get the hang of it now.

Reactions: BKING!
That's what I do with my Big Red Akorn. It has a gasketed large removable ash pan so briquettes or lump is fine. I put the chimney starter in the center of the coal grate and surround it with briquettes and put ten inside the starter. The starter that touches outside charcoal also starts them and when I lift out the starter the false bottom drops the lit coals in a pile. I usually have a plan and the lower grate, pizza stone, drip pan, top grate etc are stacked in reverse order so I can get it closed because if it gets too hot these insulated smokers take awhile to get back down to your desired cooking temp. It seems like the top and bottom vents are barely cracked to hold 225° but with brisket, ribs and butts I'm more at 275° or less. I haven't been using my Kamado much since I love my Masterbuilt Electric Smoker but I have a lot of Cherry splits, Apple and Maple that is seasoned in the garage for several years ready to go.

I think I did something similar the first time I got it real hot. I had a pile of coal inside then dumped the chimney coals in the center. I couldn’t remember though and wasn’t sure what changed

I’ve got a GMG Daniel Boone that I sold a traeger to buy during their Black Friday sale. I like it pretty good. I’ve also got a Masterbuilt electric smoker too but only ever use it for sausage. I’ve been trying to learn the Kamado lately

About 6 months ago I had issues getting my Green Egg up to temp. I discovered that the holes in the firebox were plugged with ash. After a thorough cleaning all was back in perfect running order.

I have a question about Kamado ceramic cookers. How do you or do you add more wood chips for a long cook?

I put 10 briquettes in a charcoal chimney in the center charcoal grate and load briquettes all around the chimney in a single layer so they touch and scatter chips, chunks or sticks on them. After lighting the charcoal chimney and the are grey I dump them in the middle touching unlit charcoal and put a little wood on them then assemble the layers up the the cooking grate. You'll get 24 + hours of smoking.

Reactions: tiger tailgate
I appreciate the info. For years I have used my Masterbilt electric smoker, and have always had great results. Recently I’ve thought about a ceramic cooker and was curious about whether it is worth the price,and how to keep the smoke going.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky