Propane Grill Issue

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

BB-que

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Nov 8, 2016
I have a propane grill, it’s a premium grill but the last couple years I’ve rarely used it as I prefer my charcoal or smoker. It seems it’s getting very little gas to the burners - flame is tiny. I’m thinking there my be a clogged propane line - spider webs or something. Is there a way to clear the line easily and see if that’s the problem?

Reactions: JLeonard
The tanks also have a safety thing that stops propane in case of a " run away " leak . I have a bad habit of doing a quick open and close from my hooking up welding tank days .
If you just put a tank on , and the grill lines were empty , it could be the rush of propane into the system if you open the tank valve to fast .
The tank safety sees the rush of gas and shuts down the flow . I think you shut the valve and let it sit and it resets . Open slowly and retry .

Spider webs are a good thought as well .

If the grill is clear of bug stuff, and no leaks.
Some tanks now days may have a leak detector that looks for excessive flow. Try opening the propane tank valve slower. A leak at thee tank connector can trigger this too.

Just saw Chopsaw posted the same thing.

Reactions: chopsaw
Check for mud doppers in the propane lines. Start at the tank and inspect through the burner(s).What color was the flame. Do you have a regulator between the tank and burners? If so can it be adjusted?

The grill burner tubes can corrode and change the flow of gas. If they haven't been replaced in a while, I would do that. Another thing you can do is brush the burner holes with a tooth brush to clear the holes. Issue is the holes become larger over time and causes the back holes to get less gas.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky