Need help on Sous Vide Chuck Steak w/Smoker

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

hunter rose

Smoke Blower
Original poster
Feb 7, 2015
Plano, TX
I need your help... I have two large 2" chuck steaks that I purchased at Costco. They are Choice and each weighs about 2 1/2 lbs. I did trim some of the hard fat just as I would in a smoked brisket.

They have been in the Sous Vide water bath at 130 degrees for what will likely be nearly 45 hours. I want to then throw them in an ice bath to quickly reduce the temperature. I then plan to bring it slowly back to temp in a smoker that will be firing around 190. I will probably also have an AMAZEN pellet maze going to maximize the smoke in the shorter time.

My question is this... what Internal Temperature do I smoke them to? Is it 130 or is it the typical 195? I'm assuming we should not wrap as I want smoke to hit the meat. Do I spray to keep it moist? I want this to come out somewhat like Prime Rib... at least that was the goal. I also want to understand timing. How long should I expect it to be in the smoker? Does it need to rest in the cooler as well? I am just trying to plan the dinner timing.

Thank you in advance for your help.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Clicky