need help - Internal temperature not accurate, probably user error

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Charvel350

Original poster
Mar 19, 2018
Hello all,

I just started smoking a few weeks ago and I’m loving it, but running into some issues and can’t seem to find what I’m looking for with google searches.

I’ll put the details of my equipment at the bottom.

So, my issue is that I can never seem to get an accurate internal temperature with the built in probe or another probe that I have.

For example, I cook chicken breast and it never gets up to 165. It got up to 134. It looked done, so I took one out and cut it and it was white all the way through and dried out a little.

Same thing with a pork tenderloin. It got to about 130 and never got to 145. Also looked done, so I cut it, and same thing. White all the way through and a little dry.

The beef I was cooking seemed accurate though. I was able to get it to about 142 and when cut, perfect medium rare.

Any help for this newbie would be much appreciated.

This is the smoker I have
Smoke Hollow 36" Digital Electric Smoker

This is the thermometer I bought, and it seems to work really well.
Bluetooth Meat Thermometer for Grilling, Wireless Remote Thermometer Digital Cooking Thermometer with 4 Probes, Alarm Monitor for BBQ Smoker Oven Kitchen,Support IOS , Android

If you haven't yet, you need to test the probes in Ice water and in boiling water. Boiling should be a 212 F, and Ice water at 32 F. If you're anymore than 2-3 +/- on those, call the dealer to get new probes. Sounds like the probes are faulty.

What mark said. Do a probe test in boiling/ice water.

Also the factory probes and thermometers are notorious for being off. Make sure you're smoke temps are correct too!

I just tested them and they come back at 34 and 210 degrees. So it may be off by 2 degrees ish but not as off as I was getting. Any other suggestions?

Also, I left one of the probes hanging in the middle and it matches the temp I had set.

When you pulled the chicken out of the smoker per you're probe it was reading 134 and the pork 130?

Seems like the probes would be off or your meat would be way under done.

Although highly unlikely maybe you hit a couple bad spots consecutively on your smokes in the chicken and pork. If the probe is in a fat pocket or a vein it could be off. Probes are reading right during the test and your beef came out good.

I would get a good instant read thermometer off amazon or somewhere like home depot. I have a lava tools javelin pro and the thing is spot on. I always double check the meat when I pull it off with my instant read to make sure all is good.

That's why I think it's user error. They seem to be working right but I'm getting inconsistant results. I'm used to grilling without a thermometer and just knowing by touch that the meat is done. But this is a different ballgame.

If anyone else has a suggestion of what I may be doing wrong, let me know.

Hello all,

I just started smoking a few weeks ago and I’m loving it, but running into some issues and can’t seem to find what I’m looking for with google searches.

I’ll put the details of my equipment at the bottom.

So, my issue is that I can never seem to get an accurate internal temperature with the built in probe or another probe that I have.

For example, I cook chicken breast and it never gets up to 165. It got up to 134. It looked done, so I took one out and cut it and it was white all the way through and dried out a little.

Same thing with a pork tenderloin. It got to about 130 and never got to 145. Also looked done, so I cut it, and same thing. White all the way through and a little dry.

The beef I was cooking seemed accurate though. I was able to get it to about 142 and when cut, perfect medium rare.

Any help for this newbie would be much appreciated.

This is the smoker I have
Smoke Hollow 36" Digital Electric Smoker

This is the thermometer I bought, and it seems to work really well.
Bluetooth Meat Thermometer for Grilling, Wireless Remote Thermometer Digital Cooking Thermometer with 4 Probes, Alarm Monitor for BBQ Smoker Oven Kitchen,Support IOS , Android
That's the therm I made a thread on titled Soraken. It's been flawless for me. Make sure your connection alarm is on so you know if you lose connection. I usually have all presets off and connection alarm off until the food is in for smoking then turn them on. I make sure the app is not designated as a sleeping app when in use.

That's the therm I made a thread on titled Soraken. It's been flawless for me. Make sure your connection alarm is on so you know if you lose connection. I usually have all presets off and connection alarm off until the food is in for smoking then turn them on. I make sure the app is not designated as a sleeping app when in use.

Yeah, I really like this thermometer. It seemed very well designed and built. I just dont know what I'm doing wrong. I'll keep trying though.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Clicky