Need Help!!! Buckboard Bacon Nightmare with Q-View

Discussion in 'Pork' started by teeznuts, Jul 13, 2011.

1. teeznuts

teeznuts Master of the Pit

14 days ago I started curing my butt with Hi Mountain cure. I was aiming for 10 days plus 2 but got ties up with other smokes. I've been up til all hours lately reading the numerous BBB posts on here. I am confused! I'm not worried about the curing process but what follows is wher I'm lost. Hi Mountain says let sit at room temp 2 hours then into smoker without smoke then add smoke. People here say put under a fan for a couple hours, back in fridge a couple hours or overnight. Some mention pellicle some don't.

I rinsed and just did fry test. Will go taste once it cools. Then What?

2. teeznuts

I know, no pics didn't happen.

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

3. bluebombersfan

bluebombersfan Master of the Pit OTBS Member

Pat dry and put in smoker for an hour with no smoke then smoke according to your instructions

4. teeznuts

thanks.

5. teeznuts

what temp do you suggest. Im not doing a cold smoke as I keep delaying my purchase of the AMZNPS so I guess it's considered a low, hot smoke.

6. bearcarver

bearcarver Smoking Guru OTBS Member

Yup---What Bomber said---Pat dry & put in smoker without smoke for an hour or so, at about 130˚ to 140˚.

That will dry the surface & finish forming the tacky pellicle.

Then if it was me, and you are talking about warm smoking, I'd try to keep it at 140˚ or so with light smoke for maybe 4 hours.

Then I'd go to 160˚ for a couple hours (with light smoke).

Then I'd go to 180˚, until the internal temp gets to 150˚. 

I'd keep smoke on it the whole time here too, but that's old Smokey Bear---ME!!!

According to the new USDA recommendation, 145˚ is enough, but to be safe, I'd go to 150˚.

Then I'd pull it, (sneak a taste---LOL) let it cool enough to put in fridge, wrap it in saran wrap, and put it in fridge until the next day, or even another day.

Then I'd slice it however thick you want it.

Then since you took it to 150˚, you don't have to fry it or cook it in any way before you eat it.

You can eat it cold, or throw it in the Nukulator or frying pan just long enough to warm it up good.

Hope this helps,

Bear

7. teeznuts

Thanks Bear for another rescue. The next batch is curing in some Mortons following your instructions.

8. tjohnson

tjohnson Smoking Guru Staff Member Moderator Insider OTBS Member SMF Premier Member

I did 25# a week ago, and 1/2 is gone!

I keep giving it away to friends.

Make extra!!!

TJ

9. bearcarver

BTW: It wasn't mentioned, but I figured you already knew---If it's too salty after your fry test, soak it some more until it isn't.

Then you can pat dry & put in fridge over night, and then go to what I said above. That way you can start in morning.

Or you can go right to the smoker after patting it dry.

I always start in morning---Not a night smoker, if I can help it.

Bear

10. shtrdave

shtrdave Smoking Fanatic

Todd,

Are you looking for any new friends, I can be bought with food.

11. teeznuts

The salt wasnt bad after a super soak and rinse. Im hoping the next batch with the morton's sugar cure will require less soak and rinse.

12. bearcarver

I never used Morton's Sugar Cure, but you may have read somewhere, the only time I had to soak any extra time was with Hi Mt Cure & Seasoning.

I never had to soak extra with TQ.

However, I always do a salt fry test, because I know if I skip it, that will be a salty one!!!!  [​IMG]

Bear

13. bluebombersfan

bluebombersfan Master of the Pit OTBS Member

Sorry to leave you hanging,  I did see that Bear jumped in and helped you out!  Hope it turns out great!

14. meateater

meateater Smoking Guru SMF Premier Member

Yup the Hi-Mtn is some salty stuff. I'm switching to cure #1 after mine is gone. The BBB looks great. [​IMG]

15. teeznuts

Yes your experience is what made me think Morton's would be less salty than Hi Mountain.

16. teeznuts

Hickory? Apple? Mesquite? Any suggestions?

17. teeznuts

After an hour at 138 with no smoke. Time for smoke.

[​IMG]

18. tjohnson

tjohnson Smoking Guru Staff Member Moderator Insider OTBS Member SMF Premier Member

The Morton's Sugar Cure I found, has smoke flavor added.

I wonder how much this adds to the flavor???

Todd

19. tjohnson

Use Hickory if you like a little stronger smoke flavor

I use Apple for mine

DO NOT Use Mesquite!

Todd

20. teeznuts

I ordered the plain sugar cure as opposed to the smoke added variety. I read that the smoke added product is for longer cures so I left it alone.