Need Boston Butt Injection

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Here ya go...

This makes enough Rub and Injection to do about 16-18 Lbs of meat.

Dry Rub

1 tablespoon granulated sugar

1/2 tablespoon dark brown sugar

2 1/4 teaspoons garlic salt

2 1/4 teaspoons kosher salt

1 1/2 teaspoons paprika

1 teaspoon chili powder

1/8 teaspoon dried oregano

1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper

1/8 teaspoon ground cumin

1/8 teaspoon black pepper

Injection

3/4 cup apple juice

1/2 cup water

1/2 cup sugar

1/4 cup kosher salt

2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
So I just made Chris Lily's rub based on this recipe and it only yielded a small amount, probably just enough to barely coat one rack of ribs.  I'm going to make some more later but I will use 5x the amount listed in this recipe.  Why?  Because its darn good lol!

That is a regular napkin for scale btw.

Last edited:
Ok, I had to jump on here after reading this post about getting to 135 degrees in 4 hours.

That's new to me. I thought if you were going past 165 degrees you were good as all bacteria is killed at that temp especially if your going to be above 165 for over an hour. If your pulling your meat off the grill below that temp then you have to be concerned about bacterial growth.

Correct me if that's wrong so I'm aware so I can adjust my approach.

I have injected and probed butts for years with no issues of anyone getting sick. I wrap in foil at 160 and don't pull it off the grill again until 185.

Bassman, I'm with you on this! I have done it this way for years myself and always leave on the smoker till about 190 to 200 deg. then pull off and let set for about 30 mins and have never gotten sick nor has anyone else eating it. It was to my thinking also if you cook to that high of a temp all bacteria is dead. Maybe I've just been lucky, but if this if I am wrong in doing it this way I would love to know so I can make some changes!

Our local county health unit teaches a 2 hour safety window in their food safety course.  If 4 hours is safe, that certainly puts my mind at ease about lower temperature cooking for extended periods. 

Just so you know, if you inject it, you will have to abide by the ground meat safety rule.
You will have to make sure the meat goes from 40˚ internal temp to 135˚ internal temp, in no more than 4 hours.

This made me laugh. I'm new to this forum. I actually signed up to comment. Not something I ever do. This is my first post and I know this is an old thread. BUT....... Ground meat safety rule???? I've been in the restaurant business for 30 years. I actually own two restaurants now and I've never heard of such a thing. 40-135 in 4 hours?? Where did this come from? The USDA food safety danger zone is 40-140. So at 135 you're still in the danger zone. I also believe this "rule" has been confused with cooling and reheating guidelines, which do state food should not remain in this danger zone of 40-140 during COOLING and REHEATING for extended times. And I believe this time varies by state from 2-4 hours. I think reheating is from 40 up to 165 in two hours and maintained at 140. However, GROUND BEEF, as in hamburger, must be cooked to an internal temperature of 155 to kill the E.coli bacteria, which is the main reason for ground meat concerns to begin with.
Therefore, it is recommended by the USDA that ground beef be cooked to 160 degrees. As a matter of fact, all ground meat should be cooked to 160 and ground poultry to 165 according to USDA food safety standards. There are no time restrictions placed on that. I'm not sure injecting a piece of meat equates to grinding it up. If it did ALL injected meat would have that safety regulation stamped on the label. Meaning any hunk of meat injected by the processing plant would have to go from 40-135 in four hours. ANY INJECTED MEAT!!! Butts, ribs, roast beef etc. Not just what you inject yourself. And that definitely isn't the case that I've ever seen.. If sticking an injector needle or temperature probe in a raw piece of meat is equivalent to grinding it up then would using a tenderizing cleaver or Jaccard be the same? It sticking a temperature probe in is equivalent to grinding then trimming fat or slicing any piece of meat with a knife would be the same as grinding it up. So if this rule is true then ALL meat must adhere to the rule. No more medium rare steaks boys!!. Sounds a bit extreme to me there guys. I'm pretty sure this isn't a correct interpretation of any guidelines or regulations. Sorry if I offend anyone. Sounds like food safety gone overboard. Not that that's a bad thing. Just not accurate. My two cents. So inject away and cook low and slow. Don't inject and spray with apple juice and rum. Spray the apple juice and drink the rum. Don't open the pit at all and let it do its thing. Wrap it in foil. Don't wrap it in foil. Do it your way. Whatever works for you. My way might not be your way and neither might be the best way. Who cares!!! Just have a damn good time making BBQ and enjoy life.

I wanted to know if anyone has a good injection that doesn't have apple juice or apple cider vinegar in it?  My daughter is allergic to apples, so I have to go with something else.  

I'm not too fond of root beer, I saw the comment on here about root beer.  Does it taste like root beer at all?  And I've tried garlic butter, but I'd like to try something else.  Thanks.

I wanted to know if anyone has a good injection that doesn't have apple juice or apple cider vinegar in it?  My daughter is allergic to apples, so I have to go with something else.  

I'm not too fond of root beer, I saw the comment on here about root beer.  Does it taste like root beer at all?  And I've tried garlic butter, but I'd like to try something else.  Thanks.
I never inject pork butts as a matter of fact i am usually trimming fat cap off them. Boston butt has a lot of fat that will render to juicy meat. but if you really need a good apple free injection, an injection i use for pork tenderloin is Creole Butter. They make all kinds of flavors of it so get the one you like. it should be in your sauce isle in the grocery store or Walmart and it comes with a syringe for meat injection. Here in NC its about $3.50 a bottle.

Hope this helps,

phatbac (Aaron)

I use a mixture of soy sauce, pineapple juice, and oyster sauce. I make it to taste, and inject it two days before the cook. I put a dry rub on 24 hours before cook time. Sometimes John Henry's Bubba's Rub or something I've brewed up off the cuff.

As far as the injection debate goes most pork nowadays is pumped at the slaughter house. Under the guise of making a juicier end product, but I really think they just like charging us $1.99 a pound for water. Now I'm sure someone will call me out on this, but I fail to see the difference between me stuffing my needle in that chunk of pork, and the "factory" doing it? So if your going to tell folks they have to cook their injected meat by a certain procedure to keep it safe for consumption those rules should technically be followed when cooking all pork that's been injected in any manner. 

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky