Need a new smoker

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

catiecooks

Original poster
Jun 4, 2017
Kentucky
My MES recently bit the dust. I am in need of a new smoker, but am limited by what I can afford. I would like to get another electric smoker but am also looking at pellet smokers. I felt my MES was not reliable as it only lasted 4 years. Recommendations welcome

Your MES may be fine its just controller went out. Installing a PID would likely bring back to life. If want pursue pellet option what is your budget?

As Golfpro says... All may not be lost.. pending on what gave up the ghost... repairing would be cheaper than new... If you were happy with it ...

As the guys said above, repairing the old one may be possible.
And if you like it, then this sure would be a lot cheaper way to go.
I’m sure we (not me :emoji_sunglasses: ) can walk you thru the process.
Al

Your MES may be fine its just controller went out. Installing a PID would likely bring back to life. If want pursue pellet option what is your budget?
No, I tried multiple “fixes” that did not work. My budget is as under $500 as I can get. Not sure if another electric smoker would a good idea as they don’t seem to last very long

No, I tried multiple “fixes” that did not work. My budget is as under $500 as I can get. Not sure if another electric smoker would a good idea as they don’t seem to last very long
It isn't clear what is actually wrong with your smoker. Many people have had smokers.last.a very long time. It could be a simple change could get you many more yeats of service from the one you have.

I tried replacing parts, etc. I kept it on a covered porch on a concrete pad and had it covered when not in use. I just don't think it was a good smoker. At any rate, its gone on to smoker heaven. My budget is under $500. Thank you.

I don't suppose you want to clue us in on what those "fixes" were ?? But never the less... It sounds like you really don't want to try to fix it with our help ...

Will you at least tell us what's wrong with it ??
You are correct - the MES is now gone.........It kept tripping the GFCI (I tried more than one) even with replacing some parts (controller, coil, drying out and cleaning the element, etc. At this point, I am done with MES. So, do you have any suggestions for another, more reliable smoker?

Pit Boss ertical pellet smoker is good. I used mine for years with 0 issues.

Reactions: TNJAKE
If you haven't actually thrown it away, you can replace the electronics with non-factory parts, have a way better smoker than the MES ever thought about being, and come in well under budget. tallbm tallbm can fix you right up.

Reactions: tallbm
I have a Cookshack SM009 electric that was built in 2005, and a 2011 SmokinTex 1400 and both are still working just fine.
I would look for a used Cookshack, SmokinTex, or Smokin-It on Craigslist or Facebook market place to get the most for your budget.

If you haven't actually thrown it away, you can replace the electronics with non-factory parts, have a way better smoker than the MES ever thought about being, and come in well under budget. tallbm tallbm can fix you right up.
I no longer have the MES. That is why I am only asking for recommendations for a new smoker.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky