Need A-Maze-N Advice in Northern NY

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Eaglechaser

Original poster
May 4, 2018
Plattsburgh, NY
I'm fairly new here but I've been smoking for about three years. I decided to try my hand at cold smoking cheese with the AMNS (6X6) but I'm having a hard time keeping the dust lit. I used an Akorn Kamado grill and placed the maze on the fire bowl grate (no charcoal), both top and bottom vents wide open. When that didn't work I removed the ash tray from the grill, leaving the bottom completely open, thinking it was an air flow problem. That didn't work either. I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong. Maybe the dust is too tight or too loose in the maze, still need more ventilation, etc. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

As I haven't used dust I can't be sure on it..but I am curious; can you set up a box to increase airflow to see if it does need more air or not? Like a literal cardboard box.

In my smoker there needs to be a small amount of heat to promote draft.

From Beckett Corp:

"Natural Draft is thermal draft. It occurs when heated gases expand. A given volume of hot gas will weigh less than an equal volume of the same gas at a cool temperature. Since hot combustion gases weigh less per volume than room air or outdoor air, they tend to rise. The rising is contained and increased by enclosing the gases in a tall chimney. The vacuum is then created throughout this column of hot gases."

Reactions: zwiller
I am with fivetricks fivetricks about draft. I think a little too early yet for cold smoking. Good draft can be had easily once the temps a little more lower or another member rigged up a PC fan on the exhaust to create draft. Also wonder if some frozen water bottles would do the trick.

I am with fivetricks fivetricks about draft. I think a little too early yet for cold smoking. Good draft can be had easily once the temps a little more lower or another member rigged up a PC fan on the exhaust to create draft. Also wonder if some frozen water bottles would do the trick.
I'm new to this, so forgive me, but the ambient temperature when I was smoking was approx. 50 degrees. Is that still too warm?

I'll experiment a bit to see if I can figure it out. Not sure what benefit the frozen water bottles would be, though.

In my smoker there needs to be a small amount of heat to promote draft.

From Beckett Corp:

"Natural Draft is thermal draft. It occurs when heated gases expand. A given volume of hot gas will weigh less than an equal volume of the same gas at a cool temperature. Since hot combustion gases weigh less per volume than room air or outdoor air, they tend to rise. The rising is contained and increased by enclosing the gases in a tall chimney. The vacuum is then created throughout this column of hot gases."
I'm going to try preheating the kamado a bit before I light the dust. Any guesses how much heat a single or maybe a single file string of briquettes will create in an Akorn kamado? Maybe it will be enough to get me through the entire smoke. Thanks.

I would think 50F would be good. Frozen water bottles are used to cheat and lower smoker temp. Maybe you happened to have one of those days where the wind was working against you. Maybe try a new orientation or location.

Dry your dust out. Also if you leave the lid open will it stay lit?

Just to check.. when lighting.. are you sure there is a good sized red hot cherry burning/glowing in the sawdust ?? I like to keep blowing on it until there is a nice cherry burning/glowing ...

Just to check.. when lighting.. are you sure there is a good sized red hot cherry burning/glowing in the sawdust ?? I like to keep blowing on it until there is a nice cherry burning/glowing ...
I'm smoking some hard boiled eggs tonight and it seems to be working better. Made sure the dust was just gently poured in and I placed 3 charcoal briquettes on the bottom grate in a line with their corners touching and lit one. Maybe just needed a little heat to get a draft going.

I microwave my dust or pellets on a paper plate for 30 sec. and up to 2 minutes. I makes a big difference...

You just need warm air low and cooler air up high. However you think is best to achieve that is up to you.

I like the picture in my mind of "three little briquettes all in a row" though :D

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky