Need a little help. I put #1 curing salt for salami instead of #2

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
cure#1 CAN be used in small diameter salami if the drying will be finished in 30 days or less. Anything thicker than about 42mm needs cure #2.
So hog casings, sheep casings....or thicker casings pressed 1" thick or less.

Reactions: dernektambura
cure#1 CAN be used in small diameter salami if the drying will be finished in 30 days or less. Anything thicker than about 42mm needs cure #2.
So hog casings, sheep casings....or thicker casings pressed 1" thick or less.
Indaswamp, honestly, do you think any salami can be of heavenly taste in 30 days
it can be done but....

Bear with me because I think the cure the OP is asking about is for making Nem chua. Years ago I worked with some Vietnamese American welders, and these guys made a lot of their own food for lunches. One thing in particular was a fermented pork sausage that was grilled. Here is an article that seems to describe what I'm recalling.

No sir... I have a butcher who mixes his own cure #2 and I got it for years from him... But I stopped 10 years ago for being easier to by on net and go after them if cure is wrong...
Measuring accurately is only one issue. Commercial mixtures of Cure #1, #2, and also Tender Quick are not simply 'blended'. They are blended in such a fashion to cause the active ingredients to be 'suspended' in the salt carrier.

Agree but what if you fuk it up on Relative humidity?
Lets say your RH is low and yoy "cure" (dehydrate) to fast...?? Then midle is soft and un-dehidrated... Yes...it will still be chewable but....? Taste... You mix soft inner with dry outer part... Is it presentable? Maybe, unless comes someone who knows process from to...

The drying needs to be finished in 30 days so the product is shelf stable. Flavor development will continue afterward.....

Cacciatore salami is a good example. dried in 4 weeks....
My point is: you and I can go back and forth but...there is always "scratching under surface" with questions like this... The best you can do is read, read and read topics and answers...

Thank you all for your information shared!
So I'm concluding, I can't do anything about it but try and smoke it? Also I made 10 kgs last night without cure but 3% salt added, because I can't have access to it. What is the best way to go?can I stuff it tonight in hog casing to make links, should I smoke it?

Any ideas?

Thank you all for your information shared!
So I'm concluding, I can't do anything about it but try and smoke it? Also I made 10 kgs last night without cure but 3% salt added, because I can't have access to it. What is the best way to go?can I stuff it tonight in hog casing to make links, should I smoke it?

Any ideas?

The best way would be to grill them.

If you want to smoke them, they must be fully cooked within 4 hours to be safe.
Fully cooked is an internal meat temperature of 165F degrees or 74C degrees will make the meat safe of bacteria and/or any potential parasites.

Those are your options.

****Do NOT smoke at low temperature for a long time. The internal meat temperature must hit 140F/74C degrees within 4 hours. Be sure to take it to 165F/74C internal temp for max safety.

I grill sausages without cure #1 all the time and they come out great :)

This will keep you safe. I hope this info helps :)

Last edited:
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky