Need a Cornbread Recipe, or Two, or Ten

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Favorite foods with cornbread? It's been years, but I remember ham hocks and white beans, chili, and Sloppy Joes with a Mexican twist. That last one morphed out of a cornbread casserole she used to make for the kids. I think it was a Jiffy mix recipe. I'm not a Jiffy fan so it went by the wayside when the kids grew up.

Until this week, I believe it's been at least 5 years since I ate cornbread. That's all changed.

Yesterday and this morning I put a square of her reject batch of CB on ham, buzzed it in the MW, added butter and maple syrup. So Good!

My wife used to take leftover cornbread, crumble it in a bowl, add sugar, cinnamon, and milk, then nuke it to eat for breakfast.

All her cornbread was eaten at the potluck, so the only leftovers are the rejected batch, which she won't eat. More for me!

Reactions: zwiller
I’m late to the party but hunt down Alton Brown’s cornbread recipe. It’s all cornmeal, no flour, and it uses creamed corn. I’m a cornbread fiend and this is the best recipe I’ve come across thus far.
I came here to post this.

Everyone raves about it. I didn't pay attention to the recipe and used an entire can the first few times I made it. And then tried the one cup that it calls for. Nope. Use the entire can.

Pot of Pinto Beans
THAT sounds fantastic!!!

Favorite foods with cornbread? It's been years, but I remember ham hocks and white beans,
That's what comes to my mind. Same here too, been forever. That said, got an Instapot a while back and that thing makes stuff like this a cinch. No soak and 45m

Everyone raves about it. I didn't pay attention to the recipe and used an entire can the first few times I made it. And then tried the one cup that it calls for. Nope. Use the entire can.
Kinda crazy you posted this. I looked up the recipe and there are a few versions... THANKS

Reactions: noboundaries
Favorite food with cornbread??? Red Beans and Rice!!!!
IMG_20220704_200750.jpg

I agree!

My wife is not a CI frying pan fan at all, but I think I'm gonna get a CI loaf pan good for bread and cornbread.
You hear that alot , and it's legit . Some of the pans can emit a " smell "
. I use mine all the time , and store them out in the open . Keeps them aired out . Lodge sells a rubber clip that goes on the side of the lidded pans and dutch ovens . Airs out the inside during storage .
Good idea on getting a dedicated pan to use for breads . I have these 6 " that I pre heat and use for corn bread . Love that sizzle when you pour the batter in .
20211229_163130.jpg
20211229_171201.jpg

Thanks. I ordered.
Brian let me know what you think of the Famous Dave's .
The only time I make cornbread is when we have ham & beans
Same here . It's a must have for Ham and beans . Made with Great Northern beans of course .

Hahaha! I guess I never realized it was one cup. I’ve always used the whole can. Oops. Happy mistake.

My wife is not a CI frying pan fan at all, but I think I'm gonna get a CI loaf pan good for bread and cornbread. Time will tell if it works as well.
I using my Lodge pan for sourdough today. They great pans. I usually make most my corn bread in those large silican muffin pans. Good severing size and nice and brown all over.

IMG_20221028_121632414.jpg

Add vanilla pudding mix to keep it moist.
Whew, I mentioned this to my wife and you'da thought I wanted to put dirt in the recipe. I'm still intrigued, though. Might have to try it when she's out of town.

Edit: I looked up the ingredients in instant pudding. Basically, adding a little cornstarch to a cornbread recipe might achieve the same result as adding a pudding mix. Hmmmm...

Last edited:

Thanks Chile for posting this , I just went there and this looks great. Just replied to Bear and told him also
as I will be doing this soon, as I have some chili on the menu in a couple days

Thanks

David

Not sure if you're still looking but I recently made some cornbread using the following recipe in a cast iron skillet (a must). It was pretty damn good. I'm not a corn in the cornbread person so consider that.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20221019_002127.jpg
    Screenshot_20221019_002127.jpg
    93.9 KB · Views: 17
Thanks, TS! That looks like a solid recipe. Will definitely give it a try.

It's so interesting to me that most scratch CB recipes have many of the same ingredients but in different amounts. That reassures me I'll find the right combination to a consistently moist recipe.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky