neck roast

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

rocswx

Fire Starter
Original poster
Dec 7, 2013
Im seasoning my mes 30 as I type this. I have a venison neck roast thawed to smoke in the morning. I haven't purchased the pellet tray yet. Going to use chips. I have some hickory and some apple little chief chips. Also have some cherry sawdust type. Which one to use? Need suggestions on what to rub it with. I plan on wrapping water pan and drip pan with aluminum foil. Any other suggestions would b appreciated. What temp? Its going to be cold here in Mich. Under 20. Thanks in advance.

Sorry if tis goes thru twice. It disappeared 1st time.
Ok. I'm now smoking the venison neck roast. Got aluminum foil on the lower parts, using a nice rub with kosher salt, brown sugar, paprika, garlic and a few more. I'm cooking @210 till it gets to about 160 on the meat thermometer, then turn it down to 180 for a couple hrs. I think I'm doing pretty good. Looks & smells great!

Just my opinion but I don't think I would take it much past 145 internal or you might have dried that puppy out. You could drape some Bacon over it to keep it moist. I have had little success with venison roast for just that reason. I think medium rare is the way to go. Just my humble opinion. Looks great though.

Reactions: rocswx
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky