Navajo Frybread...

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
icon_cool.gif

Me three.

have you looked in here:

http://www.smokingmeatforums.com/forum/list/119  

Last edited:
Mmmmmm..... sopapillas! I remember when I was in school in New Mexico they used to serve a bowl of Frito Pie (frito's topped with chili, lettuce, and sour cream), with some fry bread (sopapillas). That is one of my all time favorite dishes.

Not sopas.....genuine navajo frybread, from the rez, my grams recipe. Goes good with mutton!

Not sopas.....genuine navajo frybread, from the rez, my grams recipe. Goes good with mutton!
That's good stuff I bet! We mostly had Sopa's, but I did have a friend who lived at the Taos Pueblo and his mom made some good fry bread sometimes..... been a long time since I have had any.

ok...real simple

5cups flour

1tbs baking powder

1tsp salt

1 tbs powder milk.

Mix in some water to a good dough and let it rest for 1 hour or longer...the longer the softer the inside!

Pull dough balls about 1-1/2 the size of a golf ball through your index and thumb and pinch it off.\

Roll out to about 1/8" thick....make sure you poke you thumb nail though the center or use a knife-this part is very important. If you don't you'll have a big fluffy thingy...hahaha.

Fry in cast iron with about 3/4" of oil, crisco is best! Let it get golden brown before you flip!

I may just have to make some know.

Top it with whatever floats yer boat! I like mine with just salt, the indian way. Powder sugar goes good too.

ENJOY! 

Thanks for the recipe.  I'll be trying these very soon.
PDT_Armataz_01_34.gif

I would like a copy please. My mother in law is from New Mexico, but she's never made this for us. It looked wonderful when we've been back out there. Thanks!

This sounds really good. If anyone tries this, would love to see what you think about ease to make, taste and any tips, and of course some pics.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Clicky