Naked Dixee Chicks at Corn Cob City!

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

pops6927

Gone but not forgotten. RIP
Original poster
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Jul 23, 2008
Fort Worth, Tx.
Heh Heh, thought that might spark some interest, lol!

I've been consorting with some guy named Todd who brought it to light that there are indeed corn cobs available (see my thread below on Corn Cobs)!  In fact, he sent me some to test out with the Amazen Pellet Smoker in my smokehouse.  So, to test without breaking the bank, I bought two chickens on Wednesday, September 28th.  Because of my modified diet, I decided to skin them, but couldn't decide whether to skin them before curing or after, so I skinned one and not the other and put them in the brine:

695eda6c_003.jpg

Used my (now) regular brine of 1 gal. water, 1 cup Splenda[emoji]174[/emoji] Sugar, 1 cup Splenda[emoji]174[/emoji] Brown Sugar Blend, 1/3 cup Sea Salt, and 1 tbsp. DQ Curing Salt (6.25% Nitrite).  Made up 2 gallons and put in the brine, minimum brine time would be 3 days.

During this time, there was holdups in acquiring the equipment and pellets but all resolved and was set to smoke today!  Now, that is 11 days, not 3.  Any fear that it was too long?  No, I remember dad keeping chickens in the brine up to 14 days as sometimes they sold well and sometimes not.  I was about to put my money where my mouth is, lol!

I pulled out the chickens and skinned the other; there was little if any difference skinning it before or after, quite honestly:

42ca5f92_002.jpg

359c4762_003.jpg

79650a49_004.jpg

Skinned and sacked ready for the smokehouse!

The next factor was where was I going to put the Amazen Pellet Smoker?  My logical guess was even with the propane burner right by the lower air inlet for good oxygenation:

c6089b75_001.jpg

9a230e58_002.jpg

You can see it was right by the air intake vent! But... didn't happen... kept going out!   I took it out of the smokehouse and set it on the table and poof! it started generating smoke like crazy - obviously where I had it, it was competing with the burner for oxygen!  So, I placed it back in the smokehouse on the drip pan bars half way up.  BINGO!  It was generating smoke wonderfully!

60150ead_006.jpg

and, this is the result!

b75a7292_008.jpg

I smoked them a total of 9 hours, used two pans of pellets (they burn faster than hardwood, naturally!).  But, this was the result!

9f854359_011.jpg

out of the sacks:

83f3234e_013.jpg

The results?  Cured and Smoked Skinless Chickens with a Lo-Salt curing brine and even without the skins they were still juicy and tender; the meat exposed to the smoke was a bit hardened from the smoke but more than edible, they were delicious!

I have to admit when they first started smoking, memories from yesteryear came flooding back and I was blubbering like a baby with all the rememberances of waking up in a smoke-filled bedroom while dad smoked his meats (our bedroom above the meatroom!) and that sweet corn cob smell permeating my pores once again!  It is a sweeter, milder, less acrid smoke than hardwood, the innate corn sugars adding to the quality and depth of the smoke!

For all you pellet owners of Todd's AMAZING invention, try some corn cob pellets.  They burn faster, about 3-4 hours on a fill with 1 end lit, and to start them put the torch to them for 1.5 - 2 minutes until they flame.  If necessary, use a small bellows to fan the burn (I used to smoke, blowing into them is like ... torture, lol!).  Once caught though, they produce a great smoke experience that is not harsh.  You can get them at Tractor Supply or other farm supply places as pellet bedding for animals!  I know I'm stocking up; they will be replacing my hardwood in my iron frying pan for sure!

Last edited:
Looks great pops.....................
icon14.gif
...You got me!!!!!!!!!!

OMG.  Pops you have done it again! Another Pops link saved.

Also, I need to know about those corn cobs.  I love to smoke with corn cobs, but I wonder how those were prepped for the AMNPS?

Good luck and good smoking.

I should also add that I do have the option to just put the pellets into my iron frying pan on the burner.  I tried that and they do combust and produce a good amount of smoke; however, it defeats the purpose of the pellet smoking device in that you would have to repeat this action every half hour (just like we had to feed the crushed corn cobs into the slide-out pan over the propane burner in my dad's smokehouses every half hour).  With the AMAZEN pellet smoker, once you start it you can forget about it until it completes it's total burn; set and forget!  And I'm not filling a WSM; this smokehouse is 3 ft. deep and 3 ft. wide and 6 ft. tall and you can see the smoke pouring out of it from the AMAZEN unit; and that picture was taken once I refilled the unit and had only lit one end, not both!  PLENTY of great quality corn cob smoke on a CONTINUOUS basis, not stop and start like having to feed hardwood chunks every half hour to an hour!  And, I now have the option to have the heat on or off and to whatever degree I wish - my smokehouse is now a huge Cold Smoker!  I can sack cheeses and cold smoke them - WOW!  My dad used to smoke cheese in his smokehouse when we smoked bacons or hams - but it was very time consuming as we'd have to put it in, take it out as it heated up, put it back in, etc. so it wouldn't totally melt through the sacking cloth.  This is now S I M P L E !!!  Once again, THANK YOU TODD JOHNSON for your AMAZEN pellet smoker device - everyone must get one!  You certainly won't regret it!

Last edited:
Reactions: mushroomboots
No prepping needed, just take them out of the bag and put them in the AMAZEN pellet smoker and light!

I did track down the manufacturer of the corn cob pellets at Tractor Supply and they have a website:   http://www.bestcob.com   and describe how the pellets are pelletized with only steam and water and no other chemicals; feel free to check them out!
OMG.  Pops you have done it again! Another Pops link saved.

Also, I need to know about those corn cobs.  I love to smoke with corn cobs, but I wonder how those were prepped for the AMNPS?

Good luck and good smoking.

Awesome Thread, POPS !!

Beautiful looking birds!!!

And thanks for the great review of the corn cob pellets!!!

Bear

Pops, that just sounds so good... The corn will be coming down in another week or so, I'm going to salvage a box full of cobs and try this exactly the way you describe!

Sounds like a great Idea..

The TS place is kinda close and they have the pellets in stock..

Thanks!!!

Craig

The reason they make corn cob pellets is for pet litter...Chicks look real good I will have to try the nets...Thanks

I need to give credit where credit it due, btw, after my wife read the thread.  I could not have done this alone by any means, from my son carrying the brine bucket out for me, helping (well, doing!) the chicken-skinning, helping me set up the stones for the test burn, sacking the birds, etc. etc. - it was a family affair, lol because of my strokes there's limited amounts of anything I can do; of course I don't want to admit it, naturally, lol!  A Fassett Family Project!

Outstanding post pops, thank you! Now I have to get me some corn cobs again!

That pair has got to be the prettiest poster-perfect chickens I have EVER seen, and that is the total truth. They look delicious and got my carniverous fangs hanging out drooling for them...wow! I just loved the way the sacks made them turn out. Where can someone get those sacks?

Thanks for sharing another perfect post, Pops!

Hey Pops

Fantastic Looking birds!

Pops keeps talking about smoking with corn cobs, but they just aren't as easy to find as you think.  Sure, you can walk the fields after the combine, but that takes time and energy.  I had seen ground corn cobs used for kitty litter, and even gave it a try. but it did not burn very well and was expensive.  I contacted Pops and asked him if I could source Corn Cob Pellets, would he test them for me.  Of course, he jumped on the chance.

It turns out that Corn Cobs are ground up for many things from growing mushrooms to animal bedding.  I was lucky enough to find some locally and test them in my A-MAZE-N-PELLET-SMOKER.  The first burn did not work very well, and I kept plugging away at it until I figured it out.  All the time, I was keeping Pops posted on my progress.  Finally, I figured it out, and sent a package out to Pops to test.

The end result was to give a GREAT MAN a small piece of his childhood back.  It sounds crazy, but in the back of my mind, I was hoping these stupid little pellets would jog a memory for Pops.  Pops pm'd me that the smell brought back memories of his Dad's smokehouse.  I showed the pm to my wife, and told her that this is the kind of stuff that makes my day!

Pops your are truly one of my heroes!!!

I hope you enjoy the gift!

Todd

Nice looking birds! I was wondering what temp did you run your smokehouse at and what was the IT of the bird when you pulled them.

That is some nice smoke from the AMAZEN pellet smoker to fill that big smoker of yours.

Temp averaged 220° overall, finished a bit higher last hour to 260° to make sure they were to temp throughout.  IT was 157° at the largest part of the breasts, so the thighs were a little hotter, around 163°.

I get them from Butcher Packer:

http://www.butcher-packer.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=22_78&products_id=228

Outstanding post pops, thank you! Now I have to get me some corn cobs again!
That pair has got to be the prettiest poster-perfect chickens I have EVER seen, and that is the total truth. They look delicious and got my carniverous fangs hanging out drooling for them...wow! I just loved the way the sacks made them turn out. Where can someone get those sacks?
Thanks for sharing another perfect post, Pops!

Beautiful looking hens. I'd love to see a pic of your smoke house. I may have to build one some day...if the wife will let me. lol. If I keep doing a good job smoking she may just let me.

Nevermind just saw your link. Checking out your smokehouse build now. thanks.

Last edited:
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Clicky