MY SMOKER BUILD

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

MOT

Original poster
Sep 7, 2018
IMG-1158.JPG

LAYING OUT THE TEMPLATE FOR THE CURVED END
IMG-1159.JPG
TEMPLATE PUT ON
IMG-1160.JPG
DIMPLING THE PIPE ALONG THE LINES
IMG-1162.JPG

LINES DRAWN AND READY FOR THE PLASMA CUTTER
IMG-1164.JPG

PLASMA CUTTER MADE QUICK WORK OF THE 1/2 INCH PIPE
IMG-1166.JPG

NURN.jpg

BURNING THE PAINT OFF

Attachments

• IMG-1161.JPG
    IMG-1161.JPG
    141.7 KB · Views: 7
Reactions: SmokeyDeebo
Quick question.... I’ve seen some builds that have a plenum on the end that the stack comes out of, is this necessary or can I put the stack on top?

7E6102AA-AC8C-4E93-A40A-60C45A855EAD.jpeg
It really depends on what you want it to look like and how much you’d like your smoke and heat to stay around your grates as long as possible. This will help with keeping your temps a bit more uniform across your smoker.
I went with a plenum and my stack on the side at grate level. I get a great draw and don’t have any stale smoke.
Others on here will have their thoughts I’m sure.
Here’s a pic of mine while it was being painted. But you get the idea.

IMG-1174.JPG
IMG-1176.JPG
IMG-1177.JPG

Got to do a little work on the end cap today. Had a little gap on the point but its nothing that cant be filled with alittle weld lol. Im sure glad i found this forum before i started my build, lots of good info in here!

Looks like you are off to a great start. I second building a plenum as it will allow you to use a larger diameter stack that will in turn, improve the air flow across the grates. Plenum will also act as a gusset to fully support the stack pipe.

quick question........ i might be over thinking this but if you put a plenum in the middle of the CC does the stack height remain the same as if you were putting it on the top of the CC. Also ive done the calculations and the RF plate needs to be 19 5/8th wide with a segment height that is 5.5 in tall so with that said what does the opening need to be in the CC? i would assume a little larger than the FB to CC area to help promote flow so if i go 6in from the end would that give me enough area? if theres a calculation i missed somewhere could someone point me in the right direction

Thanks!

Last edited:
Dave may say I am all wet.....but you are probably over thinking it. So long as the opening (in/sq)of the plenum is at least as large the opening of the exhaust pipe, it will flow. Stack height serves to promote the draw and for all practical purposes is going to be the same whether it comes off the top or a plenum setting on the end. I have had good luck making the plenum such that the bottom of the opening (plenum base) is an inch or two above the top of the bottom rack and the top (Plenum ceiling) is at or just below the bottom of the top rack. The width and depth are both about 2" wider than the diameter of the pipe itself. I preference to use a wider, shorter pipe as the seem to flow air better than narrower, longer tubes.

haven't posted any updates in awhile but i have got some work done on it. lol
IMG-1407.JPG
IMG-1406.JPG
IMG-1408.JPG
IMG-1409.JPG
IMG-1410.JPG
IMG-1411.JPG
IMG-1412.JPG
IMG-1406.JPG

Attachments

• IMG-1406.JPG
    IMG-1406.JPG
    155.4 KB · Views: 4
Working on a latch system for the CC door. The door is so dang heavy I wanted some sort of safety latch! Lol I’m gonna put a pivoting handle that sticks out to lift the latch
C4AFAA37-CD2D-4BFE-8267-FEF9B6EBD1B7.jpeg
B2D98024-454B-4182-9B55-007F20605EBC.jpeg

Someone that is building a smoker right now, has a "counter spring" system that's awesome.... Check with him to get spring numbers and such.... It looks amazing.... No weight to the door... It would be worth a case of beer to get some good info......

Reactions: MOT
that is awesome! i will be incorporating this on my door, thanks!

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky