My first try at bacon

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

hardcookin

Master of the Pit
Original poster
OTBS Member
Aug 13, 2015
Northeast
I started out with 2 5lb pork bellies.
I was slightly confused about mixing the cure. The Tender Quick called for more than the bacon calculator did.
I cured the bellies for 10 days in vacuum sealed packs. Turning them everyday.
On day 10 I unsealed them and sliced a test piece of bacon off and cooked it to see how salty it was...Thought it was to salty, so I soaked the bellies in ice water for a couple hours. Result much better.
I cold smoke the bacon for 6 hours - A Maze - N tube and apple pellets.
I sliced the bacon with a knife and cooked some up. I'm pretty happy with the results.
A slicer would be nice, but a good sharp knife works good enough for now.
It was a good learning experience.

HC That looks great!! Nice job on slicing looks like time for me to make more Points
Richie

Looks Great HC !!!
Nice Hand Slicing too!!
I "Like"!!

Yes---it takes about 12 1/2 times as much TQ as it takes Cure #1 for the same amount of meat.

Bear

I started out with 2 5lb pork bellies.
I was slightly confused about mixing the cure. The Tender Quick called for more than the bacon calculator did.
I cured the bellies for 10 days in vacuum sealed packs. Turning them everyday.
On day 10 I unsealed them and sliced a test piece of bacon off and cooked it to see how salty it was...Thought it was to salty, so I soaked the bellies in ice water for a couple hours. Result much better.
I cold smoke the bacon for 6 hours - A Maze - N tube and apple pellets.
I sliced the bacon with a knife and cooked some up. I'm pretty happy with the results.
A slicer would be nice, but a good sharp knife works good enough for now.
It was a good learning experience.

Yummmmmm bacon. Looks good!

Great looking bacon

The cure calculator is for cure #1.

How much TQ did you use?

Thanks everyone for the nice comments and the likes!
Figured I got about 7 lbs of bacon.And some nice chunks for some beans or soup.
As I mentioned this was a good learning experience for me.

I really wasn't sure how long to smoke the bacon. For me 6 hours was pretty good. Bacon had definitely a smoke flavor but not too overbearing.

Thanks disco! I have another pork belly currently curing.
Guess I will find out if it was beginners luck.

Thanks Al
I'm having trouble keeping up with demand. My kids keep sayin, that bacon was good do you have anymore.
On a good note my butcher makes some good double smoked apple bacon.
I have another belly that will be done curing Wednesday.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky