My first go at pickles.

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Steve H

Epic Pitmaster
Original poster
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Feb 18, 2018
Newark New York
I've made "pickles" before. But not in the true sense. Just cukes thrown in vinegar with salt and pepper. I was going to wait until my vacuum attachment arrived to speed the process. But my wife knew I was interested in giving this a try. So she picked up a couple packs of mini cukes. And my sister had a recipe she swore by.
So, I gave it a go.
3 1/2 cups of water
2 cups white vinegar
1 tablespoon sugar
3 tablespoons course kosher salt
Bring the vinegar, sugar, and salt to boil.
Place 2 teaspoons each of minced garlic, dill seed, dried dill, minced dried onion in each jar.
Cut enough mini cukes into spears and pack somewhat loose in jars.
Pour hot brine to 1/2" from top. Secure lid. And allow them to cool before putting in fridge.
I'll let them set for a week and see.

P2091815.jpg
P2091819.jpg
P2091821.jpg

The pickles look good, but if you don't vac pack them in a vac canister, then they will take about 6 weeks until they have their full flavor.
Al

The pickles look good, but if you don't vac pack them in a vac canister, then they will take about 6 weeks until they have their full flavor.
Al

Thanks Al. I'll be getting this in a few days. It's being shipped. Maybe when it arrives I can do it then to speed up the process?

Reactions: ironhorse07
I don't have one of those, but I have a couple of big vac canisters.
I know some of the guys use the Mason jar attachment, & it works fine for them.
Al

I don't have one of those, but I have a couple of big vac canisters.
I know some of the guys use the Mason jar attachment, & it works fine for them.
Al

Thanks, I thought this would work. Good to hear from somebody that knows them to.

Your gonna love the jar attachment . Really speeds things up , but they still get better the longer they sit .
Also , if you ever want to buy more jars make sure they are the wide mouth .
20180704_131639.jpg

Reactions: Steve H
Your gonna love the jar attachment . Really speeds things up , but they still get better the longer they sit .
View attachment 387656

Thanks for the input. Both my quart and 1/2 gallon jars are wide mouth. I prefer them.

View attachment 387656

Hey Chop, my machine pulls 27.5 vacuum.
I think that may be too much for a mason jar.
Wouldn't want it to implode in the fridge.
Is there a limit on how much vacuum a glass jar will take?
Cause that sure looks like a handy gadget.
Al

Al mason jars are pretty tough they are used in the pressure cooking in canning but any doubts check with the jar companies.

Warren

Al
Al , it's very handy .
I looked for the specs on my machine , but didn't find any . So I had a vac gauge in my tool box ( mechanic days ) and just did a test at the gauge . It pulled 20 " .
I'm not sure , but I think that is a working number ,, not sure how much is measured inside the jar . I think it depends on the pressure outside the jar or bag .

Al , it's very handy .
I looked for the specs on my machine , but didn't find any . So I had a vac gauge in my tool box ( mechanic days ) and just did a test at the gauge . It pulled 20 " .
I'm not sure , but I think that is a working number ,, not sure how much is measured inside the jar . I think it depends on the pressure outside the jar or bag .

Thanks Man!
I can actually stop mine at 20, or set it just to pull 20.
I wonder if there is any info that tells how much vacuum a Mason jar can take, cause the more vacuum, the quicker the pickles will be done.
Al

Al
Interesting question. my new machine is set for 25 but I haven't done any pickles yet.

I've seen a few sites that say that the Ball mason jars can handle 25.0 vacuum. I'm sure max vacuum put out will vary according to your model vac sealer.

I've seen a few sites that say that the Ball mason jars can handle 25.0 vacuum. I'm sure max vacuum put out will vary according to your model vac sealer.

Well Thanks Steve!
Mine has a digital readout on it & I can stop it at any vacuum up to 27.5.
I usually go all the way to 27.5, but could easily set it to stop at 25.
Al

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky