My first go at pickles.

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Just because the machine is rated to pull 27 " of vacuum , I don't think that means you can get that inside the jar . I've read that it has to do with the atmospheric pressure . When testing the jar for strength , they were submerging them in water to change the pressure outside the jar . Just my take on it , not saying I'm right .

Avocado pickles vacuumed to 25 inhg.
20190213_085322.jpg

Hey All, In my non-smoking life I'm a chemist. I've worked with tons of glasswear under positive pressure and vacuum and am not in the least concerned using mason jars with a foodsaver - and I use it on pickles myself. That said, always inspect the jars carefully for cracks, chips, etc. and don't use if you find any - keep for non-heated, non-vac use (or toss, they don't cost that much). I do recommend wearing safety glasses - when glass fails it's not pretty. I place my jars in a small cooler while I pull the vac as a safety shield and to catch the mess if it does pop. Oh, the outside pressure is irrelevant ;) the in water test was likely to contain the shards if it did fail or they were doing a version of a hydrostatic test like is done on compressed gas cylinders.

Hey All, In my non-smoking life I'm a chemist. I've worked with tons of glasswear under positive pressure and vacuum and am not in the least concerned using mason jars with a foodsaver - and I use it on pickles myself. That said, always inspect the jars carefully for cracks, chips, etc. and don't use if you find any - keep for non-heated, non-vac use (or toss, they don't cost that much). I do recommend wearing safety glasses - when glass fails it's not pretty. I place my jars in a small cooler while I pull the vac as a safety shield and to catch the mess if it does pop. Oh, the outside pressure is irrelevant ;) the in water test was likely to contain the shards if it did fail or they were doing a version of a hydrostatic test like is done on compressed gas cylinders.

Actually, I was thinking about doing that as well. Putting them in a cooler or a large pot with lid just to be sure. I have seen bottles explode before. And glass shards can travel a long ways. In my line of work. Occasionally a overfilled bottle of booze makes it to the corking machine. And with no head space one of two things is going to happen. If we're lucky the cork just launches like a missile. If we're not lucky either it blows out the bottom. Or at a thin section of bottle.

Oh, the outside pressure is irrelevant ;) the in water test was likely to contain the shards if it did fail or they were doing a version of a hydrostatic test like is done on compressed gas cylinders.

Thanks for clearing that up for me . Why am I thinking you can't pull past a 14.7 inch vacuum ?

Thanks for clearing that up for me . Why am I thinking you can't pull past a 14.7 inch vacuum ?

14.7 PSI = 1ATM = the pressure of the atmosphere pushing down on us at sea level. A -14.7PSI vacuum would therefor be an absolute vacuum meaning there is no more matter inside the vessel so the vacuum pressure can't be greater because there is nothing else that could be removed. It seems weird because you can't measure "nothing" so in reality you measure the difference between "something" -standard atmospheric pressure - and the vacuum.

Last edited:
14.7 PSI = 1ATM = the pressure of the atmosphere pushing down on us at sea level. A -14.7PSI vacuum would therefor be an absolute vacuum meaning there is no more matter inside the vessel so the vacuum pressure can't be greater because there is nothing else that could be removed. It seems weird because you can't measure measure "nothing" so in reality you measure the difference between "something" -standard atmospherric pressure - and the vacuum.

That's where my mind set comes from , I just don't know enough about it to word it correctly .
So my next question is , if you vacuum the jar with a machine that pulls 20 " of vacuum , will it pull the jar down to 20 "

That's where my mind set comes from , I just don't know enough about it to word it correctly .
So my next question is , if you vacuum the jar with a machine that pulls 20 " of vacuum , will it pull the jar down to 20 "

In a perfect setting yes, in reality no. At some point the lid seal is going to lock down - I don't know exactly what is going on inside the jar sealer gizmo and when the seal engages. You need to figure little leaks into the equation too. Also don't get confused: when talking 20-25" here that is 20-25 inHg, not 20-25 PSI. 2.04 inHg = 1 PSI. Ooof, my brain is starting to hurt :emoji_astonished:

Got my vac attachment 2 days early. I sealed one jar of pickles. The other jar didn't survive the wait. They were already pretty tasty! And I sealed the 2 jars of pickled eggs I did about a week ago.

Thank you guys for all the info!
I think I'll look into buying one of those gizmos.
It would make it a lot easier to have them in the mason jars right off the bat, instead of transferring them after they are processed.
Al

Thank you guys for all the info!
I think I'll look into buying one of those gizmos.
It would make it a lot easier to have them in the mason jars right off the bat, instead of transferring them after they are processed.
Al

For 11.00 they are worth it. Though I lost my hose years ago. So I had to spend 6.00 on that as well. They're super easy to use.

Last edited:
I got mine at the local Walmart a few years ago. I picked up both the wide mouth and the regular at the time. They are handy, when I buy spices in bulk I started keeping out what I use in a reasonable amount of time then vacuum seal the rest in Mason jars.

Reactions: Steve H and chopsaw
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky