My first ever Smoking experience.....Not Bad...

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

golson

Fire Starter
Original poster
Nov 24, 2010
All,

Well I was real nervous but not too much. I started my saturday shopping for a 4 pound whole chicken. I found two from Publix. I took them home and prepared my Brine. I never brined before either so it was a first. I used (@font-face { font-family: "MS 明朝";}@font-face { font-family: "MS 明朝";}@font-face { font-family: "Cambria";}p.MsoNormal, li.MsoNormal, div.MsoNormal { margin: 0in 0in 10pt; font-size: 12pt; font-family: Cambria; }.MsoChpDefault { font-family: Cambria; }.MsoPapDefault { margin-bottom: 10pt; }div.WordSection1 { page: WordSection1; } Slaughterhouse Poultry Brine) I got here and it turned out perfect.

- I put in refridgerator for 10 hours overnight. I got up and mixed my rub (@font-face { font-family: "MS 明朝";}@font-face { font-family: "Cambria Math";}@font-face { font-family: "Cambria";}p.MsoNormal, li.MsoNormal, div.MsoNormal { margin: 0in 0in 10pt; font-size: 12pt; font-family: Cambria; }.MsoChpDefault { font-family: Cambria; }.MsoPapDefault { margin-bottom: 10pt; }div.WordSection1 { page: WordSection1; } Shooters Snake Bitten Chicken and Seafood Rub) that I got here to....This is a great resource.

- Next I let set in the fridge again for 8 hours and prepared the smoker. I have a 40" MES Electric smoker. It took so long to get the temperature up to 250. I did season the smoker the day before if anyone was wondering. I did use boiling water in the water pan and a handfull of chips. It took about an hour to get the temp up to 250F. I think that is way too much time.

- I am also using the Dual Probe Redi Check Smoker ET-73 for cooking.

- Finally got temp up and put chicken in smoker. It took exactly 3 hours to get the food temp to 170F.

- I did have a hard time keeping the temp steady. But was able to achieve between 250F and 270F. I am still learning how to keep a steady temp. Any tips would help.

- I also used a lot of chips. I don't know how to tell if I have too much or too little smoke. Since it was dark. I could not tell if the smoke color was correct either.

- I used Maple wood chips throughout the cooking time.

Overall. I believe I achieved the end result of two great looking and tasting chickens.....A little tasty on the smoke side but was very juicy and perfect. If you all have some tips for next time smoking that would be great........Especially smoke volume. Here is the pictures before and after.
61e6286d_P1020662.jpg
0d955d24_P1020664.jpg
9ec2ffbc_P1020667.jpg
5649d146_P1020665.jpg
2bafe961_P1020668.jpg

Good looking birds!

Congrats on the first smoke!

Craig

They look great, especially for a first time

I  know you said it was dark but as long as you don't have white billowing smoke you should be good

And you don't even has to see the snoke, as long as you can smell it its good

Nice job! Looking forward to more from you

Nice looking birds!!! As far as the smoke goes... how much did you use and how often did you add chips? You want thin blue smoke not white billowing clouds,i know you said it was dark and couldn't see. In my mes i start with a good handful of chips to get a nice base then add chips every 45-50mins. or so,just about a half a handful is all.If it tasted good odds are pretty good ya did alright!!!

Nice job! Those birds look perfect, and on your first try too! They look very juicy and the skin color is excellent.   
PDT_Armataz_01_37.gif

Nice looking birds!!! As far as the smoke goes... how much did you use and how often did you add chips? You want thin blue smoke not white billowing clouds,i know you said it was dark and couldn't see. In my mes i start with a good handful of chips to get a nice base then add chips every 45-50mins. or so,just about a half a handful is all.If it tasted good odds are pretty good ya did alright!!!

I was putting a handfull of chips every 40 minutes or so. It seem to really smoke a lot. It did taste wonderfull but I think maybe a tad too much smoke taste....

icon_cool.gif

Well your birds look great and they have nice color and everything. Now you have some chicken to compare with. So if you like the smokey flavor then keep up wht you are doing and if you don't want so much smoke flavor just cut back on the chips.

thanks everyone. this weekend i am going to try smoked Salmon....MMMMMMMMMM......

The water may be the reason it took so long to come up to temp.  I haven't used water ever with anything I have brined and I've had good results, but I know many here use water religiously.

Great job. it's nice to have your first smoke go well. Now you will march into the next smoke with alot of confidence..

Quote:Originally Posted by golson  

All,

Well I was real nervous but not too much. I started my saturday shopping for a 4 pound whole chicken. I found two from Publix. I took them home and prepared my Brine. I never brined before either so it was a first. I used (@font-face { font-family: "MS 明朝";}@font-face { font-family: "MS 明朝";}@font-face { font-family: "Cambria";}p.MsoNormal, li.MsoNormal, div.MsoNormal { margin: 0in 0in 10pt; font-size: 12pt; font-family: Cambria; }.MsoChpDefault { font-family: Cambria; }.MsoPapDefault { margin-bottom: 10pt; }div.WordSection1 { page: WordSection1; } Slaughterhouse Poultry Brine) I got here and it turned out perfect.

- I put in refridgerator for 10 hours overnight. I got up and mixed my rub (@font-face { font-family: "MS 明朝";}@font-face { font-family: "Cambria Math";}@font-face { font-family: "Cambria";}p.MsoNormal, li.MsoNormal, div.MsoNormal { margin: 0in 0in 10pt; font-size: 12pt; font-family: Cambria; }.MsoChpDefault { font-family: Cambria; }.MsoPapDefault { margin-bottom: 10pt; }div.WordSection1 { page: WordSection1; } Shooters Snake Bitten Chicken and Seafood Rub) that I got here to....This is a great resource.

- Next I let set in the fridge again for 8 hours and prepared the smoker. I have a 40" MES Electric smoker. It took so long to get the temperature up to 250. I did season the smoker the day before if anyone was wondering. I did use boiling water in the water pan and a handfull of chips. It took about an hour to get the temp up to 250F. I think that is way too much time.

- I am also using the Dual Probe Redi Check Smoker ET-73 for cooking.

- Finally got temp up and put chicken in smoker. It took exactly 3 hours to get the food temp to 170F.

- I did have a hard time keeping the temp steady. But was able to achieve between 250F and 270F. I am still learning how to keep a steady temp. Any tips would help.

- I also used a lot of chips. I don't know how to tell if I have too much or too little smoke. Since it was dark. I could not tell if the smoke color was correct either.

- I used Maple wood chips throughout the cooking time.

Overall. I believe I achieved the end result of two great looking and tasting chickens.....A little tasty on the smoke side but was very juicy and perfect. If you all have some tips for next time smoking that would be great........Especially smoke volume. Here is the pictures before and after.

You are "ALWAYS" shooting for the "TBS" or the "Thin Blue Smoke" look.  If you feel the smoke side was a little heavy, cut back on the chips just a tad.  I don't think we go by a "Smokey" look on our meats as much as we go for the internal temp of our product that produces a jucy & tender finished product.  As long as you're happy with the results & your family & guests shower you with praise, then you know you're on the right track.  Excellent qview & congratulations on your first smoke. 
beercheer.gif
 Here's to many more to come!!!! 

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky