My butcher is messing with me.

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

PoukieBear

Meat Mopper
Original poster
May 21, 2019
Ottawa, ON
My butcher shop is a family run business, and “my” butcher and I have bonded over the summer over our common grievances of being in this hobby/business and having people sometimes treat us like a joke. (He’s a 18-19 year old “kid” in a career dominated by older men)

Anyhow, we’ve got a good relationship, and we always tag each other in our online posts. Yesterday he posted that the shop has several suckling pigs that he was going cut down, and asked if I had anything planned for the smoker this weekend.

I told him I had an empty smoker, and I’ll let him have “butcher’s choice” on what goes in it.

I went in today to see what he was going to give me, thinking it would be pork.

NOPE! That little bugger gave me a lamb shoulder!!! LOL he knows he’s messing with me, but I’m not going to let him think he’s bested me.

So, I now have a beautiful lamb shoulder with no clue what to do with it. Help!!!

Reactions: drdon
A simple SPOG, and since I'm from the South, a mustard/vinegar based sauce. Top with a dill pickle and some potato chips. LOL! To be honest, I don't have any ideas when it comes to Lamb. I never have smoked it before.

Last edited:
Oh my ?? Lucky you... Lamb is sooo good.... I like it cooked to about 130-135... It can take some heavy spices and herbs... The meat loves bold flavors...

Last edited:
Reactions: SecondHandSmoker
If you haven't picked a wood yet I like the combo of red oak and cherry. The others have you covered on the seasoning. Some people like lamb with a little mint jelly a
On the side. Good luck and send photos.

PABEEF

I had to sign up, just to comment here lol
I did one if these for Easter this year.
Herbs de Provance ground up with some kosher salt.
Mix with pepper, garlic and onion powder to make a rub.
I didn't do any smoke, just on the charcoal until medium rare.
Best leg I've ever done.

Yep, smoke it just like a pork shoulder to an IT of 195F or probe tender.
Wrap in foil at 165F.
To infuse flavor down into the meat, make several slits and then stuff with sprigs of fresh rosemary and chunks of fresh garlic in addition to good old fashioned SPOG rub.
Lamb smoked with cherry wood is the bomb.

Well, that was easy!

Salt, pepper, rosemary, thyme, garlic.
5 hours total on the smoker at 280. Wrapped it 165 IT, after 2 hours, so it doesn’t have much of a smoke flavour. I shouldn’t have wrapped it since it was such a short smoke, but Oh well!

The bones slide right out and it shredded like magic.

I think I’ve had lamb twice in my life, and both times I found it very fatty, and had a very strong taste that I wasn’t sure I liked.

But THIS!! This is amazing! Go me!

FFBF59D5-724A-43D7-8A19-BAD1B270AF67.jpeg
A30C90E1-B442-4811-A8F5-94613FE4E859.jpeg
60397A81-9542-47F9-8B58-792AD96E3753.jpeg

Thanks for sharing! Looks extremely good, I must say!

I grilled the leg of lamb past weekend, and used a pretty simple rub (olive oil, thyme, rosemary, salt, and pepper-also used lemon juice when it came off of the grill). I have to say that it was absolutely fantastic and a great way to ease people into lamb since the lamb flavor was noticeable, but not overpowering.

Looks great and you made a good choice. I was going to suggest Chile's Goat Barbacoa Recipe and making Tacos. Unfortunately, I got distracted and never made it back here...JJ

Looks delicious. I love lamb. I have only cooked lamb in the oven with roasted potatoes. Now I will have to try and smoke some lamb. Oh, could you have your butcher send some to me.

Ian

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky