MY BRISKET ADVENTURE

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

SmokinAl

SMF Hall of Fame Pitmaster
Original poster
Staff member
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Jun 22, 2009
Central Florida (Sebring)
I usually check the briskets at Walmart when I go there, cause sometimes they mix in Choice with the select for the same price. I saw this little guy & just bought it, not really knowing what I was going to do with it.

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

I had a UMAi bag left over from when I dry aged a whole ribeye, so I thought I would try a dry aged brisket. So into the bag it went.

4.jpg

Here it is after a 30 day dry age.

5.jpg

It lost a couple of pounds.

6.jpg

This is where the problems began. After trimming all the bark off & the hard fat. There really wasn't much to smoke. Here is all the trimmings.

8.jpg

It was really thin, especially at the flat end, even the point was only about 1 1/2" thick.

7.jpg

So the only thing I could think of to do was cure it & make corned beef.
Here it is all bagged up & ready for a 12 day trip in the fridge.

9.jpg

And in the fridge!

10.jpg

I flipped & massaged it daily, and here it is after 12 days.

11.jpg

Out of the bag.

12.jpg

Now to rinse it off & soak it in ice water for a couple of hours.

13.jpg

OK, decision time again, it's just too thin to smoke, and I have been wanting to make Reuben brats, so I cubed up a pound of Swiss cheese.

14.jpg

I pulled about 2' per pound of hog casing & soaked it in water with a little vinegar.

15.jpg

I sliced the brisket in strips to feed onto the grinder.

17.jpg

The grinder just pulls the meat in.

18.jpg

First grind is with the coarse plate.

19.jpg

Then I mixed in 1/4 cup of CBP.

20.jpg

Then thru the grinder again with the medium plate. And then fold in all the cheese.

21.jpg

Next job, stuffing & linking.

22.jpg

I didn't pull out quite enough casing & had a couple of patties left over.
Put them in a CI pan & on the side burner of the gas grill.

23.jpg

These really came out good! Juicy & you could really taste the corned beef flavor.

24.jpg
25.jpg

The next day we were having chicken for dinner, so I threw a couple of the brats on for lunch, while the chicken cooked.

26.jpg

Brats cooked to perfection.

27.jpg

This time on a bun with kraut & Thousand Island dressing. A true Reuben brat!!

28.jpg
29.jpg
30.jpg

The chicken finished up a couple of hours later. Man I'm loving this Santa Maria attachment!

31.jpg

What a project this was. I know if I ever dry age a brisket again, it will be a really big one. 18-20 pounds would be about right. But I'm kinda glad things turned out the way they did cause the Reuben brats are really good, and I will definitely make them again, but I don't see any advantage to dry age the brisket & then cure it. I think the dry age part was a waste of time for brats. Actually you could probably just use a store bought corned beef, which btw will be going on sale here pretty soon. I may buy a few for the freezer!
Thanks for looking guys & sorry this thread was so darn long!!
Al

OK ,,, no words for that !! Wow ,,, fantastic Al ,,, just fantastic .

Holy Shoot !!
Way too much work for me, but the results had to be Freaking Fantastic!!!
Way to hang in there, Al---You done Awesome!!
Like.

Bear

Looks awesome, Al! Don’t ever apologize for a lengthy post...I’m always learning from you guys and every bit helps. The pictures are delicious!!!

Corned beef brats would never have occurred to me but now I'm sure going to give them a shot. Corned beef sale season (St. Pat's Day) is coming up real soon.

Ill say that the steer that donated its body part for the betterment of humankind should also be praised and lifted up in sincere reverence. My hat’s off to The SmokinAL Project!

Man that looks good! I’m sure it was worth.

Definitely time to stock up on the corned beef.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky