MY BRISKET ADVENTURE

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
I really want to make these reuben brats and every store around me has corned beef on sale for $2.95/lb. (non corned briskets are still priced off the chart). I went to all four stores and nobody had corned beef points, only flat cuts. I bought four anyway. I will find a use for them.
Anyway, I wanted a point because I'm thinking the extra fat percentage would be good for making the reuben brats. What think you, Al? Will the flat be OK for brats or should I try to find some beef fat to add in?
Another question while I have the floor: Would it be advisable to make up a corned beef rub and mix it into the ground brisket or would that be overkill?
TIA

I really want to make these reuben brats and every store around me has corned beef on sale for $2.95/lb. (non corned briskets are still priced off the chart). I went to all four stores and nobody had corned beef points, only flat cuts. I bought four anyway. I will find a use for them.
Anyway, I wanted a point because I'm thinking the extra fat percentage would be good for making the reuben brats. What think you, Al? Will the flat be OK for brats or should I try to find some beef fat to add in?
Another question while I have the floor: Would it be advisable to make up a corned beef rub and mix it into the ground brisket or would that be overkill?
TIA

I think I would add some beef fat to it, although I trimmed off a lot of the fat on mine it still had probably at least 20% fat left. I also think the corned beef rub would be over kill, there is plenty of flavor in the corned beef itself. But I cured mine myself so I knew what the flavor would be like. So maybe a little extra flavor on a store bought corned beef would be a good idea. Maybe try some each way & let me know how they turn out. Good luck!!
Al

FYI, ribeye and brisket fat trim are the best beef fat to use for making sausages... I would ask a butcher for some fat, but make sure it is not the outside layer off dry aged beef...not good. You want what they trim off while prepping cuts for packaging to sell. I usually keep brisket fat and throw it in the freezer...just in case I need it...

Whenever I cook brisket for a group, I render the trimmings (very slowly) in a little peanut oil. The rendered tallow (8 or 10 pounds of fat is usually sufficient) is then used to make the best French fries ever.
But maybe I need to look into brats

FYI, ribeye and brisket fat trim are the best beef fat to use for making sausages... I would ask a butcher for some fat, but make sure it is not the outside layer off dry aged beef...not good. You want what they trim off while prepping cuts for packaging to sell. I usually keep brisket fat and throw it in the freezer...just in case I need it...

That is a good idea, to keep the trimmings.
I usually either use them above the brisket to render down & baste it or I throw them out.
Kinda dumb on my part, but most of the sausage I make is pork and I use butts, so I rarely need any extra fat.
But you never know, so from now on I'll save it.
Al

Ok I've been gone to work for a couple of weeks an just reading a getting caught up on all you guys have been up to. Very nice Al but there sure seems to be a LOT of beer in your fridge? I think your drinking team has a smoking meat problem? Looks good, thanks for sharing with us.

Ok I've been gone to work for a couple of weeks an just reading a getting caught up on all you guys have been up to. Very nice Al but there sure seems to be a LOT of beer in your fridge? I think your drinking team has a smoking meat problem? Looks good, thanks for sharing with us.

That looks amazing Al!

Thanks fellas!
Hey tex, I just want to make sure everybody has a cold one when they stop by!
Al

Reactions: texomakid
Thanks for all the info and pics. I've just recently gotten into smoking and been thinking about getting a grinder and trying to make sausages and the like. This was very informative. Thanks again.

Thanks for all the info and pics. I've just recently gotten into smoking and been thinking about getting a grinder and trying to make sausages and the like. This was very informative. Thanks again.

You are very welcome!
Al

Well I have to say I'm impressed. I came looking for an answer to my dry age brisket question and found a new group to be a part of. I look forward to hanging out with you guys and gals as I get acquainted with my RecTeq 1250. I've been using a propane smoker for many years and finally moved to a pellet smoker. 6am in the morning and I was drooling at the pictures of the brats.

Reactions: tallbm and SmokinAl
Glad you found us, and looking forward to seeing that RT in action!
Al

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky