My 1st Tri tip!

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Brokenhandle

Epic Pitmaster
Original poster
Staff member
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Nov 9, 2019
Nw Iowa
Well I went and done it ... finally found a tri tip to smoke! Meat locker 40 miles away had untrimmed tri tip for $7.99 lb. Not the cheapest but I didn't care, after seeing so many on here I was gonna do it. Trimmed it up and dry brined it with kosher salt for an hour or two. Then added some of Jeff's rub while I started the mes.

20210812_170655.jpg

Set the mes @ 235 with pitmasters choice in amnps. Timing wise was hoping for it to be done shortly after my wife got home from work, but then other things came up so I turned smoker down to 120 degrees, IT was @118. After about an hour and half delay turned smoker back up and when IT hit 128 I pulled it for a short sear on grill.

20210812_204623.jpg

20210812_204645.jpg

First cut ... perfect!
20210812_205531.jpg

Few more slices...Oh yeah, nailed it!

20210812_205659.jpg

I can now see why you all love tri tips! This had tremendous flavor, we loved it! Sorry no plated pics...was gonna have scallops with it but skipped them because it got late and we were starving! We did have some zukes fried in butter with onions but there wasn't a whole lot of them... somebody may have eaten about 1/2 of them raw, what can I say... they were tasty lol! So glad I finally had the chance to eat one!

Ryan

Man Ryan that looks delicious! It's a favorite of ours. And honestly that ain't a bad price. Nice work bud

P.S. I remember my first time........

Reactions: Brokenhandle
Man Ryan that looks delicious! It's a favorite of ours. And honestly that ain't a bad price. Nice work bud

P.S. I remember my first time........
:emoji_laughing:, thanks Jake! I can see why you love em! At least now I know where to find them!

Ryan

Reactions: TNJAKE
Ryan, top notch cook my friend… looks phenomenal! Glad you were able to try TT! Such an awesome and flavorful cut!

BTW, I love zukes raw with a little CBP!

Man does that TT look good. Unfortunately they've disappeared here as quickly as they showed up.

Point for sure
Chris

Ryan, tri-tip is also on my short list, which ironically had gotten quite long in the short time I have been on SMF!
Stalling a cook is something I have had to learn. My wife is an RN, she never gets home the same time twice, so I have to adapt. Looks like you were also able to adapt. Well done and now I am hungry again!

That looks awesome, and I know what you mean about the feeling of getting it right first time. Looks like you did as I did, with the added complication of having to delay it. Congrats!!

Ryan, top notch cook my friend… looks phenomenal! Glad you were able to try TT! Such an awesome and flavorful cut!

BTW, I love zukes raw with a little CBP!
Thanks Justin! It was really good! Trying to decide what to do with the leftovers. Don't tell anybody but it was even too good to put gravy on!

Ryan

Reactions: Rafter H BBQ
Man does that TT look good. Unfortunately they've disappeared here as quickly as they showed up.

Point for sure
Chris
Thanks Chris! I appreciate it! That would be my luck also... just found them so they better not quit carrying them.

Ryan

Ryan, tri-tip is also on my short list, which ironically had gotten quite long in the short time I have been on SMF!
Stalling a cook is something I have had to learn. My wife is an RN, she never gets home the same time twice, so I have to adapt. Looks like you were also able to adapt. Well done and now I am hungry again!
Thank you! And yes...that to do list never stops growing!

Ryan

Reactions: EvenFlow87k
That looks awesome, and I know what you mean about the feeling of getting it right first time. Looks like you did as I did, with the added complication of having to delay it. Congrats!!
Thank you! I've learned alot here on the forum! And still am learning, but it sure is fun!

Ryan

Looks fantastic. Glad you found a spot that carries them. You've inspired me. Looks like I might need to smoke one this weekend.

Looks fantastic. Glad you found a spot that carries them. You've inspired me. Looks like I might need to smoke one this weekend.
Thanks Bird! I'd say... smoke em if ya have em!

Ryan

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky