mustard before the rub

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.

When apply your rub, do you apply your rub

• over a mustard base

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • over a coating of olive oil

• directly to the meat

• use something different all together

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
I usually prep my meat the night before and use Jeffs rub and leave it overnight in the fridge. I've never used the mustard either but am going to give it a whirl...question thou...can one put the mustard on the night before and then apply the rub or would I better off the leave it all off and apply like maybe an hour or half hour prior to going to smoker? I would prefer to prep the night before but have never done this so I am not sure if this is an acceptable practice? Thanks all.
Ray

Lemme say that I absolutely hate vinegar, and sometimes mustard makes me wanna hurl...but I put it on both beef and pork and my meat comes out perfect.
Hint: Use gloves as others have said before me...

Here's a "mini mustard q-view" for you.

8011DSC02707-med.JPG

8011DSC02709-med.JPG

8011DSC02710-med.JPG

8011DSC02723-med.JPG

FWIW, I do it bass-ackwards. I apply the rub first, heavily, let it sit for about 15 minutes, then apply the mustard over it, using my hands. Sometimes I'll apply more rub before the cook, depending on how it looks, my mood, and planet alignment...
smile.gif

What does that do for you? What are the differences if any on applying it before? I don't use mustard at all, but sure am curious.

I honestly don't know if it makes a difference... but I like to get the rub on the meat first. Just something I do...
PDT_Armataz_01_12.gif

Now that looks awesome...Next stupid question from a newbie...that cut of meat...would that be what everyone calls a brisket? Thanks Man !
Ray

Yep, Brisket! That was my first one and it turned out pretty good. Even better were the leftovers that I froze and used 3 weeks later to make enchiladas
PDT_Armataz_01_37.gif

I used it on the first couple of butt's I did but using jeff's rub overnight in the fridge I found that I didnt need it. as for bark I guess it does produce some more of it but it is just a personal thing. I got to do a brisket after seeing the q view that looked good.

I didn't read all of the responses, so hope I don't repeat too much on what has already been said.

I myself haven't tried mustard on a pork butt, will be trying it next weekend. I voted just put the rub on the meat, as that is normally what I do. I have had great results so far. A few times I have used veggie oil, but didn't really see any great difference.

Mustard is real good on chicken thighs, then dredged in a flour mixture and then smoked.

Bill

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky