Muslin muslin muslin

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Yep the reason that I give the cloth a vinegar bath is to ward off creepy crawlies that I can't see. The reason that I soak the cloth in water prior stuffing is because I figured the moist cloth would help with the smoking process. Couldn't tell you though if it does or doesn't, since I haven't tried it with out soaking them.

As for purchasing the pre-made bags, I knew that they are available. Part of this experiment though was to use products I could source locally without having to order anything and have it shipped to me.

The muslin casing comes off the sausage no problem, with the stitches pulled. If I had paid more attention to the shape I could have pulled the casings off without removing the stitches.  

I don't like placing my sausages in plastic bags they sweat too much. I prefer to keep them in the fridge for 3-4 days allowing them to bloom then slice and package for freezing.

I will keep using these for sausage, the smoke flavor was way better than the fibrous casings. I might try my hand at hand stitching a few together. It'll give me something to do sitting around the campfire at night!

As for purchasing the pre-made bags, I knew that they are available. Part of this experiment though was to use products I could source locally without having to order anything and have it shipped to me.

I might try my hand at hand stitching a few together. It'll give me something to do sitting around the campfire at night!
I never said anything in the beginning, but after being here awhile I noted others like me. Don't you laugh and make comments!

I meant there is a large group here who like me, in a lot of cases, want to see if I can reclaim the past. Not because I have to but because I want to see what my Pop and his Pop and all those before dealt with, and if something we do today diminishes the flavors of how they made it.

And I have found differences, most I don't want to duplicate but there are a few still on my to do list.

That would be why I would attempt to sew a cloth sock for sausage meat.

Reactions: hoity toit

I never said anything in the beginning, but after being here awhile I noted others like me. Don't you laugh and make comments!

I meant there is a large group here who like me, in a lot of cases, want to see if I can reclaim the past. Not because I have to but because I want to see what my Pop and his Pop and all those before dealt with, and if something we do today diminishes the flavors of how they made it.

And I have found differences, most I don't want to duplicate but there are a few still on my to do list.

That would be why I would attempt to sew a cloth sock for sausage meat.
Sometimes getting back to the roots of it all is the best! I'm going to hand sew a few just for fun. I have some special thread that's too big for the sewing machine. I'm going to give it a whirl. I have special needles for the skin on frame boats that I use to sew the fabric together with the artificial sinew. They should do the trick!

I understand & appreciate using local resources & getting back to your roots. I have just recently started to buy bags. I believe it to be 3 yrs ago. Between deer bologna & pork sausage I use at least 30 bags a year. Twice that if family have me make them bologna. I've made many bags but it was getting to much. I would use old bed sheets. (no flannel) Actually i would tell people that was my SECRET ingredient. I used dirty bed sheets to make my bags.
laugh1.gif
 If it was a really spicy piece of bologna the bag must of been cut from the middle of the sheet. 
icon_eek.gif

Reactions: hoity toit
I am guessing you could make these any size? From like 6 in to one inch?

LOL... you could sew together some colth in whatever size you want, a hand flipping the bird, your state, whatever and fill it and smoke it. Custom party sausages shapes.

I know I always think of strange stuff.....

I can just see a summer sausage in the shape of Texas on the buffet........  yeah well, I bet ya don't laugh at it if Chuck Norris is there!

Last edited:
LOL... you could sew together some colth in whatever size you want, a hand flipping the bird, your state, whatever and fill it and smoke it. Custom party sausages shapes.

I know I always think of strange stuff.....

I can just see a summer sausage in the shape of Texas on the buffet........  yeah well, I bet ya don't laugh at it if Chuck Norris is there!

They sell beer bottle, baseball bat, and football
Shaped casings.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Clicky