Mushroom swiss brats

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

murraysmokin

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
SMF Premier Member
Aug 14, 2015
Clinton Township, Michigan
My favorite brat mushroom swiss. Did 30 lbs of pork butt, 2 lbs of sauteed mushrooms & 3 lbs high temp swiss. These are cooked in hot water bath read to package up in packs of 5.

Attachments

• 20181211_145328.jpg
    20181211_145328.jpg
    217.2 KB · Views: 205
  • 20181211_151151.jpg
    20181211_151151.jpg
    205.2 KB · Views: 206
  • 20151231_144814.jpg
    20151231_144814.jpg
    79.1 KB · Views: 153
That sounds awesome. I love anything with a fungus in it. Mushroom and swiss burger is my favorite...why not brats. Don't know that I can do this myself, but for sure would like to find some somewhere.

These do sound good.
Jeff, many here had no clue how to make sausage recipes or use a stuffer, including what casing to use. But some time reading, about $200 for a grinder, dedicated 5 lb Stuffer, a Hank of Casing and some Pork Butt, and you will be well on your way to these or any other sausage you wish to try. It is SUPER EASY once you get the right tools and a little education...JJ

These do sound good.
Jeff, many here had no clue how to make sausage recipes or use a stuffer, including what casing to use. But some time reading, about $200 for a grinder, dedicated 5 lb Stuffer, a Hank of Casing and some Pork Butt, and you will be well on your way to these or any other sausage you wish to try. It is SUPER EASY once you get the right tools and a little education...JJ

Very true that was me a few years ago this site will definitely help you when you are ready many guys helped me when I was first starting.

Reactions: chopsaw
JJ beat me to it . The things I do now that I had no idea about before joining here is a long list .

Murray great lookin sausage . Nice job .

Reactions: murraysmokin
That is a great sounding and looking sausage!!!! Big like.

That sounds awesome. I love anything with a fungus in it. Mushroom and swiss burger is my favorite...why not brats. Don't know that I can do this myself, but for sure would like to find some somewhere.

Jeff as JJ said. It is not that hard and practice makes perfect. A few $ to start and well worth it in the end. Home made sausage is SO much better than store bought. It seems intimidating at first, but once you do it once and see it is not as difficult as you thought. You will be thinking why the heck didn't I do this earlier. Also with all the people here for help and advice..... you will be very happy.

Reactions: murraysmokin
Ya hit me in the gut,bent over pleading for the recipe.
Richie

This is the basic recipe I use - nutmeg
Really makes a good brat straight forward & easy to make. .5 lb cheese per 5lb

Jan 28, 2013#1

I have been making brats for a little over a year now. I have done both Shooter Ricks and the Wisc. recipe. I ended up just combining the recipes together together with the exception of the sage. I also add a cup of cheddar cheese sometimes. Instead of the soy concentrate in Shooter's recipe I use Dry powdered milk. You don't have to add the NDMP, you could just add more fat. Also, Fresh graded nutmeg is a real key IMHO.

1. Good luck and enjoy.

5 lbs. well-fatted pork shoulder/butt

2 Tbsp. kosher salt

1 Tbsp. sugar

2 tsp. freshly ground black pepper

1 1/2 tsp. freshly grated nutmeg

1 Tbsp. toasted and freshly ground coriander

1/4 tsp. ground celery seed

1/8 tsp. ground marjoram

1 1/2 tsp. ground ginger

1.5 tsp good paprika

2 tsp dried rosemary

1.5 Tbsp dry mustard

1/4 cup dry milk powder

1/2 tsp cayenne pepper (to make it hot use 2 tsp)

1 cup cold water

Mix all spices and cold water together and mix well into meat. Stuff hog..

Reactions: tropics
Murray, that sounds awesome, never even thought about putting mushrooms in sausage,
but why not, along with the Swiss cheese that should make for some fine eats.

An alternative to sautéing the mushrooms would be to bake them. I know, it sounds really weird but it
works. Just very lightly coat the whole mushrooms in oil place on a sheet pan and bake
in the oven. To use, slice, dice or leave whole. Anyways love the recipe idea I will try this soon.

Cal

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky