Single White Male iso Bratwurst Recipes!

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

robbieh

Fire Starter
Original poster
Jan 18, 2013
Hope the title gets some attention! lol.  Looking to try my hand at making some bratwurst, then smoking them.  I can get hog casings at Gander Mountain.  Those are what I'd use, right?

I will be using a mix of venison and pork.  Any great recipes out there?  Sure..I could google it, but I'd rather learn from the Pros here!

Also, at what temp should the smoker be at, and what should the internal temp be when they are done?  I was thinking about trying this recipe - http://www.smokingmeatforums.com/t/98554/homemade-bratwurst  because it sounds good and they look great, but no one has really followed up on it.

I'm gonna make these this week with my younger brother, who will be here for a visit.  It'll be good times.  I'll post pics of everything here in this thread.

So any help would be great!  Thanks
beercheer.gif

Here is a good recipe but it is a pork only recipe. I have used only straight pork butt (5lbs not trimmed) and this turns out really well.

Wisconsin Brat      Very good recipe *****

5 lbs.
  • 4 pounds pork shoulder, cut into 1-inch cubes and stored in the freezer for 30 minutes
  • 1 pound Pork back fat, chopped and stored in the freezer for 30 minutes
  • 3 tablespoons kosher salt
  • 1 tablespoon sugar
  • 1 1/2 teaspoons grated nutmeg
  • 1/2 teaspoon coriander
  • 1/4 teaspoon celery seed
  • 2 teaspoons ground black pepper
  • 1/8 teaspoon ground marjoram
  • 1 1/2 teaspoons dried ginger

Thanks for the recipes!  I think I've read that Wisconsin Brat recipe elsewhere, unless that's your own work and the other one I read just had the same name.  Either way.  Both of these recipes, as well as others I found, seem to have some of the same ingredients, just different amounts.  

I will lift out some ground pork/venison mix I have in the freezer, tomorrow or Tuesday, and will start these on Wednesday or Thurs morning.

Any tips on smoker heat, internal heat, cooking time?

Here is my Bratwurst recipe. 
Bratwurst
MeatsGr/KgActualRatio
Pork100016001600
salt1524.01.6
sugar11.61.6
pepper2.253.61.6
Nutmeg1.252.01.6
Caraway11.61.6
Mustard0.751.21.6
Beer100160.01.6

Thanks for the recipes!  I think I've read that Wisconsin Brat recipe elsewhere, unless that's your own work and the other one I read just had the same name.  Either way.  Both of these recipes, as well as others I found, seem to have some of the same ingredients, just different amounts.  
I copied the Wisconsin brat recipe from a thread on this site. I have tried others and find this is my favorite.

I have been making brats for a little over a year now.  I have done both Shooter Ricks and the Wisc. recipe.  I ended up just combining the recipes together together with the exception of the sage.  I also add a cup of cheddar cheese sometimes.  Instead of the soy concentrate in Shooter's recipe I use Dry powdered milk.  You don't have to add the NDMP, you could just add more fat.  Also, Fresh graded nutmeg is a real key IMHO.

Good luck and enjoy. 

5 lbs. well-fatted pork shoulder/butt

2 Tbsp. kosher salt

1 Tbsp. sugar

2 tsp. freshly ground black pepper

1 1/2 tsp. freshly grated nutmeg

1 Tbsp. toasted and freshly ground coriander

1/4 tsp. ground celery seed

1/8 tsp. ground marjoram

1 1/2 tsp. ground ginger

1.5 tsp good paprika

2 tsp dried rosemary

1.5 Tbsp dry mustard

1/4 cup dry milk powder

1/2 tsp cayenne pepper (to make it hot use 2 tsp)

1 cup cold water

Mix all spices and cold water together and mix well into meat. Stuff hog

casings and form links. Use or freeze promptly.

Thanks so much for the replies and recipes, everyone. 
icon14.gif
  Diesel, what is NDMP? is that the dry milf powder?  Also, as far as fat goes, do you think a 50/50 of pork and venison would be okay?

Sorry if I got the acronym incorrect.  It is milk powder. 
Also, as far as fat goes, do you think a 50/50 of pork and venison
Whenever I used venison as my main "meat" I try to do at least 3/1.  I clean the venison really well and I use pork butt.  But, 50/50 will be fine.  Just fry up a piece before stuffing.  You can tell then if it will need more fat or spices.  Also keep in mind that the spices will calm down after a day or two. 

You also asked about smoking times/temps.  I have put brats on at 225 to 300.  It will depend on how quick you want them done.  I go for an IT of around 155 to 160.  I think the rule is 150 but I like them a little more done than that.

good luck.. take some picts.

Aaron.

Thanks for the tips and for the cooking temps!  I'll be starting this sometime this week and I'll be sure to take pics 
icon14.gif

YIKES!!!! I didn't even realize I wrote that!  LOL Wow...okay it's funny, but I hope I didn't make anyone here upset or anything. 
th_dunno-1%5B1%5D.gif
 Was an honest mistake.

Last edited:
I have been making brats for a little over a year now.  I have done both Shooter Ricks and the Wisc. recipe.  I ended up just combining the recipes together together with the exception of the sage.  I also add a cup of cheddar cheese sometimes.  Instead of the soy concentrate in Shooter's recipe I use Dry powdered milk.  You don't have to add the NDMP, you could just add more fat.  Also, Fresh graded nutmeg is a real key IMHO.

Good luck and enjoy. 

2 Tbsp. kosher salt

1 Tbsp. sugar

1 Tbsp. toasted and freshly ground coriander

1/8 tsp. ground marjoram

1 1/2 tsp. ground ginger

1.5 tsp good paprika

2 tsp dried rosemary

1.5 Tbsp dry mustard

1/4 cup dry milk powder

1/2 tsp cayenne pepper (to make it hot use 2 tsp)

1 cup cold water

Mix all spices and cold water together and mix well into meat. Stuff hog

casings and form links. Use or freeze promptly.
Do you grind the meat before or after adding the seasoning?

With other sausages, I grind the meat, dump it on a clean surface, like a large cutting board or something, then add the spices in and mix by hand.  They will probably mix more too when they go through the grinder during the stuffing part.

Originally Posted by PGSmoker64  

Do you grind the meat before or after adding the seasoning?
I usually just add the spices after the grind.  With brats I like a more coarse grind and I use the 8mm grinding plate. (LEM)

Just make sure you mix it really well.  However, there are a few sausage recipes that I do add the spices prior to grind or prior to second grind.

Aaron.

The above mentioned brat recipe came from a master butcher in Sheboygan, scaled down from a 100 lb. batch.
Originally posted on here by a family member of mine:

"This is my recipe for a classic old-fashioned all-pork Wisconsin-style brat.

This is a classic Wisconson bratwurst flavor profile.

Wisconsin-Wannabe Bratwurst

3 Tbsp. kosher salt
1 Tbsp. sugar
1/2 tsp. toasted and freshly ground coriander
1/8 tsp. ground marjoram
1 1/2 tsp. ground ginger

I use a fairly course grind, grinding just half the meat a second time with the same plate.
I replace part of the salt with Tiparos Thai fish sauce in all of my fresh sausage recipes. It adds "what's that?" umami savoriness.
I gently steam the sausages on low heat (165-170 F) until safe temperature is reached. "

~Martin

Reactions: oldcanalsmoke
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Clicky