Moving to electric (new here)

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Pilot Bird

Fire Starter
Original poster
Mar 5, 2019
Looking for input. I’m switching from a propane smoker to a Masterbuilt 40”. The propane smoker had temperature fluctuations and I was unable to keep the temperatures below 275. The result was unacceptable. I’m hoping the Masterbuilt will solve this problem. In reading this forum, I’m already convinced of the need for a quality temperature probe, and I am looking for any other ideas of things that I need to do off the bat before I ruin another $30.00 worth of pig.

The MES40 can be an excellent smoker. They have some weaknesses out of the box but if you don't mind tinkering a bit you can make it much, much better. As you poke around the forum some more you will find a plethora of tips on the MES smoker. Bearcarver is a trove of good info. Check the Electric Smokers section of the Forum. And welcome.

Agree with SmokinVOLfan! AMNPS is a good move, especially for long smokes where feeding the chips can get laborious. The remote therm is a must. Should be at least a two probe model at a minimum so you can watch the temp of the MES and your food at the same time. Welcome to SMF. You have come to a happy place!

Weedeater

I did basically the same move (gasser to electric) but to the 30 and LOVE IT. MES and AMNPS is basically set and forget. Was very surprised how well it works in winter due to its insulation. ENJOY!

Modify you gasser... Plug 50-80% of the holes... add a low pressure regulator and needle valve to control the propane flow... When you plug the holes, make the plugs removable... like the picture below...
When turning on the propane flame, have a big enough flame so you won't get a flame out... bad stuff a flame out... propane still flowing and an explosion could happen... AND MAKE SURE ALL THE HOLES HAVE A FLAME.....
.... click here ... Regulator and valve

Burner BTU reductiion3.JPG Burner BTU reductiion2.JPG Burner BTU reductiion.JPG Propane Burner adjustment.png

The MES40 can be an excellent smoker. They have some weaknesses out of the box but if you don't mind tinkering a bit you can make it much, much better. As you poke around the forum some more you will find a plethora of tips on the MES smoker. Bearcarver is a trove of good info. Check the Electric Smokers section of the Forum. And welcome.
Thanks

Thanks

Agree with SmokinVOLfan! AMNPS is a good move, especially for long smokes where feeding the chips can get laborious. The remote therm is a must. Should be at least a two probe model at a minimum so you can watch the temp of the MES and your food at the same time. Welcome to SMF. You have come to a happy place!

Weedeater
Good tip, thanks

Modify you gasser... Plug 50-80% of the holes... add a low pressure regulator and needle valve to control the propane flow... When you plug the holes, make the plugs removable... like the picture below...
When turning on the propane flame, have a big enough flame so you won't get a flame out... bad stuff a flame out... propane still flowing and an explosion could happen... AND MAKE SURE ALL THE HOLES HAVE A FLAME.....
.... click here ... Regulator and valve

View attachment 389646 View attachment 389647 View attachment 389648 View attachment 389649
So now I could have two good smokers, good idea.

Welcome to the forum! We are glad you found us. Lots of knowledge to be found here. I would like to add one thing about electric smokers including the Masterbuilt line. They all fluctuate cabinet temps. It will be 20 degrees over or under till the cabinet get's real hot this may take up to several hours. It is the nature of the beast. Fortunately BBQ meat in most cases does not care. You will here people talk about the PID controllers. When installed, your cabinet will not fluctuate more than 2 or 3 degrees. I have one and my MES 30 is more accurate than my wife's kitchen oven. Good luck Jted

Welcome to the forum! We are glad you found us. Lots of knowledge to be found here. I would like to add one thing about electric smokers including the Masterbuilt line. They all fluctuate cabinet temps. It will be 20 degrees over or under till the cabinet get's real hot this may take up to several hours. It is the nature of the beast. Fortunately BBQ meat in most cases does not care. You will here people talk about the PID controllers. When installed, your cabinet will not fluctuate more than 2 or 3 degrees. I have one and my MES 30 is more accurate than my wife's kitchen oven. Good luck Jted
Thanks for the info Jted

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Clicky