Mother of all Chuck Roasts 7.12 lbs

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

CoolbreezeBBQ

Meat Mopper
Original poster
May 1, 2020
Gonna be a long night, picked up a 7.12 lb Chuck Roast to smoke today, forgetting I had a Birthday, and a Retirement party to go to. Anyway, that’s all over, just got the Chuck on the Traeger at 7:45 pm figure it’ll be done early morning and I’ll be able to hold it in a cooler until lunch. Dry brined for way longer than it should have. Rubbed with very little salt, a lot of pepper, GP, OP, cumin, cayenne, and smoked paprika. Using Q’Pellets 100% Hickory.
0AE08B25-F61F-4C96-8DFB-FE83C7346F6D.jpeg
A2321B0D-9416-4B1B-9D9F-DD6B96FC7A70.jpeg
AC45EF85-8199-44F7-9F82-8A88BF9DFEE2.jpeg

Now that's a big boy CB and a great start!
Pan and wrap ?
What are your finish plans ?
Pulled beef ?

Keith

I’ll either wrap with foil or butcher paper, with a little beef broth when it hits stall. Most likely pulled beef, that seems to be best way to go with Chuck Roasts. Forgot to mention I have it set at 250, may bump it up to 275 after I wrap.

Biggest one I’ve seen. I saw some nice big ones in there a week earlier. When I went back this week. There wasn’t any out, so I told the butcher to cut me a big one and he sure did.
Expensive too!!! Price of beef especially, but meat/fish in general here in Michigan is outrageous. Double or more compared to 2 years ago.
25B96712-0A79-4454-A87F-F88A6EAB403E.jpeg

• Haha
Reactions: negolien
:emoji_astonished::emoji_astonished::emoji_astonished::emoji_astonished::emoji_astonished: WOAH... That is a mother!!!!
Think about getting slices out of the long meat runs and shred the rest.
The slices will freeze the best with a little broth added too.

But HEY, it's your 'Mother', you do what you want. Good luck tonight!

Darn, that must have been one large steer! Wonder what the rib-eyes look like?!?

Chuck roast is still on my list to smoke.
I told him I wanted to do low n slow smoke with it, and wanted a big thick one. I’m sure this hunk of meat would normally be cut into two roasts.

• Haha
A lot of people say sliced is the way to go. Maybe go half and half? Best of both worlds...
I always try some slices but end up shredding it, haven’t figured out a good way to slice against the grain on Chucks

4ADA4366-3980-49E1-9B7D-D25065732C46.jpeg

3 hours at 250 on Traeger IT is at 146 probably gonna hit stall within next hour or two. These Q’Pellets are burning nice, hot, and clean, a little fast. Not much of a variance between Traeger pit temp and my ThermaPro probe I have in pit, been within 10-15 degrees of each other and 250 whole time. 7th long cook on this machine, and I’m very happy so far. Great looking smoker too.
image.jpg

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky