Tree Cutting

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
That's a cool video. I like watching those guys work. Back when I bow hunted a lot, I used lock-on stands and climbed with Klein spikes. Still have them and my harness, but my climbing days are over...

Reactions: Fueling Around
Nice job on the video.
I used to trim or drop trees now and then in my youth (stupidity?). Most of the trees were either too large (DBH) or multiple leaders to use spurs, belt and flip rope. I mostly climbed free hand.
Not a pro as Doug.
The 5:47 point of the video was the rush when the top cut free and the trunk usually whipped a few feet
Back in 1999 we had what is called a blowdown. I had three trees that size in my back yard. Two were leaning pretty good and could have been a problem down the road. One French tree cutter traveling through offered to cut the down. He just used the branches to climb the tree and trim it like Chris did.
Cost me 300 bucks but it was worth it. Lots of bonfire wood for a lot of years. LOL

The Boundary Waters–Canadian Derecho (also called the Boundary Waters Blowdown) was an international derecho that occurred during the afternoon and evening hours of July 4 and the early morning hours of July 5, 1999.
Howdy summer neighbor. You're a couple hundred miles from me, as the wind blows.
Wasn't there for the 1999 event, but the 2001 winds weren't fun, either. I'm on the MN ND border and inline with weather that strikes the BWCA

Reactions: KBFlyer
The 5:47 point of the video was the rush when the top cut free and the trunk usually whipped a few feet
Even when you're braced for the ride, sometimes you get knocked loose and those looking up think you're dead or something lol.

The secret of life is to enjoy your work. I suspect Doug E, if he didn't enjoy it, at least took some pride is knowing how respected he is for it.
As for me, I'd starve if that was the only job available!

Reactions: DougE
The secret of life is to enjoy your work. I suspect Doug E, if he didn't enjoy it, at least took some pride is knowing how respected he is for it.
As for me, I'd starve if that was the only job available!
I both enjoyed it and took pride in knowing that the clients I worked for would wait until the company could free me up to do their trees. I just wanted to be the best I could be at my chosen calling.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky