Morton Tender Quick...

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

inkjunkie

Master of the Pit
Original poster
Nov 25, 2014
Heard from a local retailer that it is being discontinued, this particular shop hasn't had any in a couple months. Went to Cash and Carry...empty spot. Talked to the assistant manager, they haven't had any in a few weeks. He said there was a discrepancy in an order...he ordered 2 cases...a case being 6...and got 2 bags. Has been ordering it, just isn't showing up...

Last edited:
I have heard about this also. 

I havent tried to buy any since last year. 

I better go see if I can find some.

Heard from a local retailer that it is being discontinued, this particular shop hasn't had any in a couple months. Went to Cash and Carry...empty spot. Talked to the assistant manager, they haven't had any in a few weeks. He said there was a discrepancy in an order...he ordered 2 cases...a case being 6...and got 2 bags. Has been ordering it, just isn't showing up...
This death rumor has been circulating since at least 2001, as best I can tell, and may be earlier.  I just went to Morton's website, plugged in zip code with a 20 mile radius, and a slew of carrying stores popped up.  I called one to verify, and they have it--not sure where this story began, but its demise is overly exaggerated.

I wouldn't be surprized it might be hard to find. How long does it take to use up a 2# bag ? How many folks actually use it ? It quickly moves into the realm of "slow moving product". Many stores don't want to invest the shelf space for such a slow mover.

I bought some at my butcher supply store a couple days ago. The lady I was dealing with said that was their last shipment for the next 6 months or so until they factory was done doing what they had to do. Not sure if there is anything more to it or not.

I bought some at my butcher supply store a couple days ago. The lady I was dealing with said that was their last shipment for the next 6 months or so until they factory was done doing what they had to do. Not sure if there is anything more to it or not.
Was in Cash and Carry again today...bumped into my buddy. He said that this is what he was told..pretty much....was just repeating what I was told...

Probably Rumor started by a MTQ hater, back in the early 2000s or late 1900s.

Instead of running around crying, "It's not safe, It's not safe, The sky is falling", they just started a rumor that it was being discontinued.

Don't think they'll stop making a product that is so easy to use, and works so good. IMO

Bear

Ditto Bear.

Want to stock up?  WM on the web.

[h2]Morton Tender Quick Home Meat Cure, 2 lb (Pack of 12)$55[/h2]
Cool, I didn't know WM had it.

Every now & then I get a bunch of stuff from WM----35$ total gets free shipping.

I'll add one bag of TQ next time. LOL---I don't need 12 bags---One lasts me a year or so.

None of my stores ever carried it, but my Son's favorite store does (Wegman's), so he always gets mine when I need it. They're at $5.29 right now for the 2 LB bag.

Thanks Tom,

Bear

Cool, I didn't know WM had it.

Thanks Tom,

Bear
icon14.gif

Probably Rumor started by a MTQ hater, back in the early 2000s or late 1900s.

Instead of running around crying, "It's not safe, It's not safe, The sky is falling", they just started a rumor that it was being discontinued.

Don't think they'll stop making a product that is so easy to use, and works so good. IMO

Bear
Not looking for an argument..visited 7 shops here in Spokane. All of them, in the past, had multiple bags on the shelves. Last I checked all had none. When I asked the mangager/assistant manager about it I was told that they have placed weekly orders for it...and for the past 5-6 weeks received none.
Again, not looking for an arguement...just merely stating the facts...as they appear here in Eastern Washington.
Apologies for starting this thread...and now I remember why I stopped visiting this site...

Not looking for an argument..visited 7 shops here in Spokane. All of them, in the past, had multiple bags on the shelves. Last I checked all had none. When I asked the mangager/assistant manager about it I was told that they have placed weekly orders for it...and for the past 5-6 weeks received none.
Again, not looking for an arguement...just merely stating the facts...as they appear here in Eastern Washington.
Apologies for starting this thread...and now I remember why I stopped visiting this site...
Nor I, ink.  However, when this topic was searched, and this rumor was out there nearly 20 years ago, it does bring the validity of it into question.  As mentioned, I went to Morton's website, plugged in the product and zip code, and several store options were listed.  Nor was there any mention from Morton about this being discontinued.  Did you try doing the same thing to see what comes up in your area?  The retailer may be the one who's decided to discontinue the product:  as mosparky pointed out, shelf space for some stores might be freed up for faster moving products than this and they've decided not to carry it any longer.  You may want to contact Morton's directly and see what they tell you about your area:  all I know is that it's still available, the product itself hasn't been discontinued, and is still on the market around here, as well as Amazon and Wally dot com.  My $0.02

Not wanting to take any chances, I went to the web and ordered 10 bags/ 20 lbs. for $4 each, free shipping.

T
Do you know the shelf life on TQ?

I always figured "Years", but I don't know how many.

I never had any around longer than 2 years.

Bear

Bear, As I just purchased two bags last week at twice the price, I am quite certain there will still be some around long after I'm gone, but I always understood the shelf life to be indefinite. 

T

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky