More Stuffed Onions ~ Beef, Jalapeno, Blue Cheese, with a Bacon Jam Whiskey Glaze

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

thirdeye

Master of the Pit
Original poster
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Dec 1, 2019
The Cowboy State - Wyoming
The recent stuffed onion threads, one with a jalapeno & cheese sausage filling, and the other with the Swedish meatball filling prompted me to make a pair. I generally use the small yellow onions because the heat will cook out and they only need one strip of bacon for the wrap. But this time went with a sweet onion and liked the overall flavor very much. I'm good with about any filling (especially a Mexican style with chorizo, pork and pepper jack cheese) but the one on my bucket list is an Italian filling.... something along the lines of how lasagna is seasoned. Some pepperoni in the mix would be a bonus. But here is the pepper beef cook.

1w1lzAX.jpg

I hollowed out some onions, and put some salami slices in the bottom to control leakage. The high temp cheese does not break down, but there is a lot of juice sometimes.

m76slJw.jpg

v427Waq.jpg

The stuffing is ground beef, jalapeno, Blue cheese, egg, onion, garlic, bread crumbs, paprika, salt, pepper and some iced water for binding. Then I wrapped with 2 slices of my XX cold smoked bacon. Second seasoning was black pepper, Smokin' Guns Hot and more hi-temp cheese just for looks.

yAmAtfB.jpg

UaoPEE5.jpg

The glaze is a mixture of Bacon Hot Pepper Jam with one-finger of Makers Mark whiskey more or less to taste. Cooking was way easy.... raised direct in a cast iron platter with a 275° pit temp and oak wine barrel splits for smoke. Cook time to 157° internal was about 1 hour +/-. And because of the mass, I glazed during a 10 minute rest, then had another sample of Makers, and maybe one more....

JxJtB4R.jpg

Heck ya! Looks good! But I bet that glaze would make an old shoe taste good!

Ryan

Looks like they came out great . Those are a fun cook . Nice work .

Oh , hot salami is killer . There's a place down on the Hill that sells a hot salami sandwich ., but that's another story .

that bottle of bourbon is to empty,, ya do have a spare???

Those look spectacular. Super nice job, would have loved the cut shot though. The possibilities are endless with the carved out onion. Like

Reactions: chopsaw
that bottle of bourbon is to empty,, ya do have a spare???
I've got a bottle of Pendleton on stand by. Let 'er Buck.

Those look spectacular. Super nice job, would have loved the cut shot though. The possibilities are endless with the carved out onion. Like

The best I can do is a shot of meatballs I made from the extra filling.
tBfhx7j.jpg

Reactions: Brokenhandle
I mis-spoke.... I can show you what a slice of meatloaf looks like using a similar recipe. This has hi-temp cheddar instead of the Blue like in the onions. This has some pork mixed in.
YH4xSCi.jpg

Reactions: Brokenhandle
That looks very devourable! If that's even a word but it is now!

Ryan

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky