More Cheese

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

BGKYSmoker

Nepas OTBS #242
Original poster
Staff member
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Group Lead
Dec 25, 2010
Rineyville, KY
Kinda cool this morning here in S, FL. Time to cold smoke some cheese. Got the AMAZN Tube going with apple pellets. Cheese pics taken with wrappers on so i know whats what, string tied on corners of the racks.

IMG_1759.jpg

IMG_1756.jpg

IMG_1757.jpg

IMG_1758.jpg

IMG_1760.jpg

Dats a Lotta Cheese's!

Looks great!
How long do you smoke, and do you do some longer than others?

I think Apple has become a favorite of mine.

I only smoke for 1.5-2 hours, To me any longer you might as well eat a log from the fire pit.

Giving the cheese a rest some. Then cheese cloth and fridge for a day or two before vac seal.

I have had smoked Havarti in the fridge for 2 years. Longer they sit the better they get.

IMG_1763.jpg

Looks great. Personally, I do 6 hrs. My preference. everybody that eats it likes it, at least they go back for more. Let mine rest for a day loosley covered then vacpac. Did corn cob and mm mm better tasting than it smelled, which was like burning grass but sweeter. Almost took it off. That was a month later. Earliast ever tasted.:emoji_grinning:

Nice color on that . Like the wrapper on pic , and the clocking of the rack .

Great color on the cheese Rick!
Looks delicious!
I just did a big batch a couple of weeks ago, so I'm set for the year!
Al

I always over smoked everything.
Now I've cut way back and I like it more. More importantly, others are giving much better responses to my smoked fair.
Next time I do some blocks I think I'll try your 1.5-2 hours. I bet it'll be good.

I only smoke for 1.5-2 hours, To me any longer you might as well eat a log from the fire pit.

Giving the cheese a rest some. Then cheese cloth and fridge for a day or two before vac seal.

I have had smoked Havarti in the fridge for 2 years. Longer they sit the better they get.

View attachment 386409

Interesting regarding leaving the cheese in the fridge not sealed. Once I went a little too long and the cheese got a little soft so I put it in the fridge for a little while prior to vacuum sealing. I'll never do that again, my fridge smelled like an ash tray for a week!!

How long do you let the cheese "cure" in the vacuum seal? This article recommends at least a week but more like 2 weeks: https://www.nathansauser.com/cold-smoking-cheese-big-green-egg/

I typically leave for 2 weeks if I can wait that long.

Last edited:
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky