Moral dilemma.

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

mdboatbum

Master of the Pit
Original poster
OTBS Member
Apr 22, 2011
Washington, DC
 Life was going pretty well for a while. We'd managed to get almost ahead financially. Business has been good for my wife and i had a great job which I really enjoyed. Finally managed to save up enough to buy a new computer, having been without one for several years after I had to give mine to the wife when hers died. The day before said computer was to be delivered, I lost my job. Considered returning it. Decided not to return it as I'd needed one for a while, and it would be helpful in the job search.

Then the shipper lost the package.

Two weeks later I finally got the replacement and all was well. They even refunded me part of the purchase price for my troubles.

Fast forward to today. Wife had ordered something and went down to the lobby to get it. Concierge says, "I think you have another package, it's been here a while".

Any guesses as to what it was? Yup, the original computer. I checked the tracking number, it doesn't show it as delivered, only that a label was created back when I originally ordered it.

So here i sit looking at an unopened box containing a computer that I haven't paid for.

My gut tells me to send it back. But the wife is gonna need a new one very soon, as hers is 8 years old and starting to show signs of losing steam.

Its not like i went into the store and stole it. They sent it to me.

Send it back?

Keep it?

I hate having a conscience.

What computer? 
th_dunno-1%5B1%5D.gif

Finders keepers!

Knowing a bit about loss prevention if you called them they'd probably tell you to keep it. It would cost them more to ship it back than it's worth to them. More than likely they filed a claim on it and it's been covered.

Finders keepers!

Knowing a bit about loss prevention if you called them they'd probably tell you to keep it. It would cost them more to ship it back than it's worth to them. More than likely they filed a claim on it and it's been covered.
You're probably right. It is a pretty high end laptop, but I bet they've already been paid off by the insurance company.

I would call them and see what they want you to do. Its better to be honest because you know if you don't something will come around and kick you in the butt.

By the way good luck with the job search. I lost my job a few months ago also.

something will come around and kick you in the butt.

It seems that happened already. Maybe the entity running these things realized it disturbed the order and arranged for the free computer to lower the entropy to a more stable level.

My advice is not to take advice from here. But dont give it too much thought. Decide , one way or the other than forget about it. Otherwise you risk ending with regrets.

I have had people lie to me at work saying they never received items that they did and returned years later,well I did have to pick it up. That said I would call and let them know and proceed accordingly,think if the shoe was on the other foot! Best of luck having things go your way in the future!

Remember now the face you see in the mirror 

Call them and let them decide they may offer at a steal of a deal

JMHO

Richie

Call them and see what happens. The Mrs had the same kind of thing happen with a tablet and they told her to keep it. If you don't it will just eat at you and you don't need that right now.
Hate to hear about the job. Hope you find something soon.
Dan

Hey Bum.....  call them and explain the deal...   tell them you want a return shipping label and dollars to donuts they'll tell you to keep it....   I'd bet they have NO WAY to get it back into their system....   it would just be a PITA to them to try and figure out how to re-inventory an insurance paid claim...    tooo big of a headache.....   then you could sleep soundly at night or daytime....

Karma likes to Bite the Good and Honest often enough, no sense in smearing your Backside with Honey and offering it up! I agree with calling the company and let them decide the direction they wish to take. Insist on a Pre-paid return shipping label if they want it back...JJ

I believe in Karma!

What goes around comes around.

But in this case it's a company, not an individual, who probably have already collected on their insurance for the loss.

Very hard choice to make.

Al

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky