moore oklahoma

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Thanks, Kat.

We are 40 miles  pretty much due east of Tulsa in Northeast Oklahoma.  Moore is an Okla. City suburb (central part of the state), and about 160 miles from us.  The same storm cell that spawned the Moore Tornado came within a few miles of us, but had weakened to the point where it was just hail, high winds and lots of rain by the time it got here.  There were other storm cells that produced several tornados in Northeastern Oklahoma, but the nearest to us was about 25 miles away.  My heart breaks for the families of those school children who have been lost.

Bama, thanks for posting the link to OperationBBQRelief.  I have made a donation, and ask all members who can to consider giving.

I love these forums and the sense of community here.

Bless all who are praying and donating.

Red
good to hear yall just caught the tail end of it out there Red! Im not an Oklahoman by any means but the military sent me here in 2009,(fresh out of a warzone) and if theres anything ive learned about this state, is we have a small town way of living. and we damn sure can rally the wagons when someones in need.

it looks like a warzone..im not gunna lie, this has been the first time in a very very longtime that ive been scared like that, brought and still bringing back memories of the war torn cities in the middle east... i live in moore(unfortunately the side that took direct hit). my wife and 3yr old daughter were home when it touched down and destroyed everything. just minutes/seconds before it got to our home, friends of ours stopped by to check on my girls and evacuated them to yukon, oklahoma which is far far away from the storms. of course i didnt find this out til' i was released from base lockdown(air force policy,nobody in or out when sirens go off). no cell service and no way of getting in touch with my family is scary scary business...

...cuz we sure need it right now.
TurnandBurn,

Glad to hear you're ok and your family made it out of harms way as well. Continue to stay safe.

Steve

good to hear yall just caught the tail end of it out there Red! Im not an Oklahoman by any means but the military sent me here in 2009,(fresh out of a warzone) and if theres anything ive learned about this state, is we have a small town way of living. and we damn sure can rally the wagons when someones in need.
T&B,

Thank God your family made it through! You're spot on about the Oklahoma attitude when our neighbors are in need. 

Much the same way that this great family here at SMF comes together in times like this!  It does my heart proud to know that good folks still rise up and reach out when it is needed.

Red

Reactions: turnandburn
I'm sitting here watching the Prime Time Special Report... and after reading this thread with T&B and Red's description.. I can honestly say I am sitting here with tears running down my cheeks....

I wish I could go out and help the BBQ Relief team.. or help somebody... (I did donate to the Relief site)... but just doesn't feel like enough...

So many prayers and thoughts going out their way

The best people i have ever met in America, have come from Oklahoma. An old high school buddy of mine is a fire captain in the Tulsa FD. He and his people are on scene in the devastated area(s).  My thoughts and prayers are with all of those affected by this tragedy. I have shared the link to OBBR on my facebook page. They are an amazing organization of cook volunteers, whom were a tremendous blessing to the residents of my state of Fla. when we were hit by hurricanes in years past. I wish any and all godspeed in their recovery from this disaster.

Have a few friends in the hierarchy of another fine organization.. .AMERICARES out of Stamford Ct. They immediately mobilized goods and personnel and left early this morning. I get asked to volunteer often when these crises happen. Turned them down yesterday but after reading this thread it looks like I'm leaving with another group at 3am tomorrow morn. Thanks for snapping me back to attention. I saw the TV special too and these good folks deserve all the help they can get. Besides, its about time I met some of these fine Oklahomans I keep hearing about.

Looks like OBR is getting a lot of attention. From their Facebook page yesterday:

"The outpouring of support has been tremendous! So good in fact, that our website is having trouble keeping up. We normally receive between 2,000 and 4,000 hits per day. Yesterday we had almost 500,000 hits and today we're already approaching a million hits. We're working with our hosting provider to see what we can do to speed things up.

In the mean time until we get things smoothed out, you can donate by clicking on the Donate button at the top of our Facebook page. And to volunteer, you can email us at [email protected]"

Glad to hear Red and family and TurnandBurn and family are safe. I haven't heard from Jeff, although he did post on the forum FB on Monday, but nothing about the tornadoes. Donation made, but it certainly doesn't feel like it's enough. 

Ongoing prayers for everyone affected by this devastation.

Thank you for posting the information about Operation BBQ Relief. Sounds like a worthy organization, and so glad they are on the ground in Moore OK to help feed the first responders and those in need.

My thoughts and prayers out to the people in Moore, and the members of our SMF family who have been affected.

Clarissa

Happy to hear T & B and Red & families are still up & kicking!!!

Prayers from Macungie for ALL the rest.

Bear

The best people i have ever met in America, have come from Oklahoma. An old high school buddy of mine is a fire captain in the Tulsa FD. He and his people are on scene in the devastated area(s).  My thoughts and prayers are with all of those affected by this tragedy. I have shared the link to OBBR on my facebook page. They are an amazing organization of cook volunteers, whom were a tremendous blessing to the residents of my state of Fla. when we were hit by hurricanes in years past. I wish any and all godspeed in their recovery from this disaster.
This is very true. ive come to find this out in the 4yrs ive been here..thru tornados and blizzards...were always here to lend a helping hand to eachother.
Have a few friends in the hierarchy of another fine organization.. .AMERICARES out of Stamford Ct. They immediately mobilized goods and personnel and left early this morning. I get asked to volunteer often when these crises happen. Turned them down yesterday but after reading this thread it looks like I'm leaving with another group at 3am tomorrow morn. Thanks for snapping me back to attention. I saw the TV special too and these good folks deserve all the help they can get. Besides, its about time I met some of these fine Oklahomans I keep hearing about.
come on down here, you wont be disappointed. biggest hearts ever down here! come to oklahoma a stranger, leave as family!
Glad to hear Red and family and TurnandBurn and family are safe. I haven't heard from Jeff, although he did post on the forum FB on Monday, but nothing about the tornadoes. Donation made, but it certainly doesn't feel like it's enough. 

Ongoing prayers for everyone affected by this devastation.
thanks smokin!
Happy to hear T & B and Red & families are still up & kicking!!!

Prayers from Macungie for ALL the rest.

Bear
thanks Bear. we'll always be up and kickin. thats just what we do. no matter the situation. when you have a whole state and now the country backing you up...well..thats more than motivation my friend. thats love. oklahoma will rise again.

Reactions: papacurtis
T & B Glad to here that you and yours are all OK! Houses are built of boards and nails. Communities are built by the people. And from what I've seen, this cannot and will not destroy your community! You folks in Moore have got some real SPIRIT !!! Mother nature dealt you a knockdown blow and you've all got back up swinging! Hang in there, You've got the whole country behind you!

I know it has been mentioned, but please donate to a good cause. 

http://operationbbqrelief.org/

Please read through their website, they do alot of good for communties hit hard by natural disasters and they are folks like us who love to cook Q. 

Last edited:
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky