• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.

Mixed Ferment

chilerelleno

Smoking Guru
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Joined Oct 17, 2016
Starting my first fermentation with the goal of making and bottling some hot sauce.

Ready, Set, Go!

Ghosts, Fresno and Jalapeno chiles combined with Bell peppers, White onion and Garlic.
12 Ghost
14 Fresno
5 Jalapeno
Yield about four (4) cups.

3 Bell peppers - three (3) cups
1 White onion - two (2) cups
Garlic - half (1/2) cup

Distilled water and pure sea salt combined for a 3.5% brine solution.

Now I find a warm, dark spot for it to do it's thing for about the next 3-4 months.
Pray that it goes well with no yeast, mold or rot.
Hoping for the nice bubble, bubble, bubble of CO2 being generated by the process.
Wish me luck.

Last edited:

daveomak

SMF Hall of Fame Pitmaster
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Joined Nov 12, 2010
Did you find a 3.5% brine recommended somewhere?
What is a 3.5% brine ??
How do you make it...
3.5% salt to peppers + water weight ??

fivetricks

Master of the Pit
OTBS Member
Joined Jan 7, 2017
I feel like I really screwed up not fermenting the reapers this year. I will definitely be doing this next year. may have to bump some good seeds off of one of you members in exchange for beer or some other favor!

I can't wait to see how this turns out

chilerelleno

Smoking Guru
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Joined Oct 17, 2016
What is a 3.5% brine ??
How do you make it...
It was the middle ground of various percentages given as acceptable from a number of sources.
There doesn't seem to be any absolute values, so I split the difference.

It is simply Sea salt dissolved in hot distilled water.

The brine is 83 grams of salt added to 2366 grams of distilled water.
Not all the brine was used.
Was it a mistake not to use the combined weight of water and mash when calculating the salt?

I was planning on using either vinegar or lactic acid at the end if needed to get at least a minimum pH 4.0 for a shelf stable sauce.
Also have some xanthan gum to stabilize the sauce and prevent separation.

Last edited:

dave17a

Smoking Fanatic
SMF Premier Member
Joined Dec 23, 2012
What is a 3.5% brine ??
How do you make it...
Dave, directions for my ferment, pickling is 2 tbls to 4 qts. spring or distilled water. Use celtic sea salt. Dirty looking. They say is full of minerals which is great for ferment and your gut.

chilerelleno

Smoking Guru
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Joined Oct 17, 2016
Dave, directions for my ferment, pickling is 2 tbls to 4 qts. spring or distilled water. Use celtic sea salt. Dirty looking. They say is full of minerals which is great for ferment and your gut.
For this I used Redmond brand mined sea salt. it too is full of supposedly beneficial minerals.
But more importantly no additives.

This brine works out to approx 1.5T per quart of water.

dave17a

Smoking Fanatic
SMF Premier Member
Joined Dec 23, 2012
Starting my first fermentation with the goal of making and bottling some hot sauce.

Ready, Set, Go!

Ghosts, Fresno and Jalapeno chiles combined with Bell peppers, White onion and Garlic.
12 Ghost
14 Fresno
5 Jalapeno
Yield about four (4) cups.

3 Bell peppers - three (3) cups
1 White onion - two (2) cups
Garlic - half (1/2) cup

Distilled water and pure sea salt combined for a 3.5% brine solution.

Now I find a warm, dark spot for it to do it's thing for about the next 3-4 months.
Pray that it goes well with no yeast, mold or rot.
Hoping for the nice bubble, bubble, bubble of CO2 being generated by the process.
Wish me luck.
Good luck! It will be good. Usually cloudy. I just screw back and forth without picking up. Can't help but it, always gotta look everyday. Should have air bubbles poking up to tell you it is fermenting. Keep in dark area, 65* plus or minus is good from my reading, and seems to work. Exact science on ratios blows my mind on many things. .Have fermented 1 week to a month, longer the better. I ad 1/4 cup apple cider vinegar and1 cup brine when done and puree it all up. Thats what i do. Happy fermenting

daveomak

OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Joined Nov 12, 2010
I just checked my recipe and it calls for 2% on the cabbage.. weigh down for 6-8 weeks or longer... Weigh out the salt and the cabbage..

daveomak

OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Joined Nov 12, 2010
Sorry, I didn't know there was a difference... I'll learn.. maybe... iffin I'm not too old...

gmc2003

Legendary Pitmaster
OTBS Member
Joined Sep 15, 2012
I don't know anything about fermenting, but if it doesn't work it will make one colorful Christmas tree ornament. Looks good so far John - good luck

Point for sure
Chris

xray

Master of the Pit
OTBS Member
Joined Mar 11, 2015
Looks like a good start John. This is something I’ve been meaning to do.

dr k

Master of the Pit
OTBS Member
Joined Mar 22, 2013
I read 3 Tbsp or less salt per quart. I did 1 Tbsp to 16oz distilled water. Salt draws out water/carbs in fruit but the lactic acid drops the ph to kill bad bacteria till carbs are consumed then the Kham yeast may form in an aerobic environment post fermentation but isn't a mold so no toxins. Just scoop it off. So less than 3 Tbsp salt/qt water won't kill lactobacillus. I did this Carolina Reaper batch this morning after seeing this thread yesterday. I had the air lock with my beer making gear. I did find a shot glass to hold down all but a couple chunks of CR. I cleaned all parts in the jar in dist. White vinegar over night, thoroughly rinsed before putting everything together. Put the jar in a bowl in case of a little fermenting over flow.
20191027_082216.jpg

chilerelleno

Smoking Guru
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Joined Oct 17, 2016
Reapers are freaking insane, but very fruity/citrus tasting.
I've tried a raw one, whew!
But in a good sauce they're manageable.

I hope both of our ferments turn out well.

jcam222

Master of the Pit
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Joined Jun 13, 2017
Where do you buy those lid contraptions? I want to give this a go

DanMcG

Smoking Guru
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Joined Feb 3, 2009
I went with 4% brine... 4% salt to waters weight. so 1000gms water=40 gms non iodized salt

Hot Threads

Top Bottom
  AdBlock Detected

We noticed that you're using an ad-blocker, which could block some critical website features. For the best possible site experience please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker.