Mixed Ferment

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

chilerelleno

Legendary Pitmaster
Original poster
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Starting my first fermentation with the goal of making and bottling some hot sauce.

Ready, Set, Go!

1J56xm3.jpg

Ghosts, Fresno and Jalapeno chiles combined with Bell peppers, White onion and Garlic.
12 Ghost
14 Fresno
5 Jalapeno
Yield about four (4) cups.

wnJ341v.jpg

3 Bell peppers - three (3) cups
1 White onion - two (2) cups
Garlic - half (1/2) cup

uI872YR.jpg

Distilled water and pure sea salt combined for a 3.5% brine solution.

wvLBfct.jpg

Now I find a warm, dark spot for it to do it's thing for about the next 3-4 months.
Pray that it goes well with no yeast, mold or rot.
Hoping for the nice bubble, bubble, bubble of CO2 being generated by the process.
Wish me luck.

Last edited:
I feel like I really screwed up not fermenting the reapers this year. I will definitely be doing this next year. may have to bump some good seeds off of one of you members in exchange for beer or some other favor!

I can't wait to see how this turns out

Did you find a 3.5% brine recommended somewhere?
What is a 3.5% brine ??
How do you make it...
3.5% salt to peppers + water weight ??
It was the middle ground of various percentages given as acceptable from a number of sources.
There doesn't seem to be any absolute values, so I split the difference.

It is simply Sea salt dissolved in hot distilled water.

The brine is 83 grams of salt added to 2366 grams of distilled water.
Not all the brine was used.
Was it a mistake not to use the combined weight of water and mash when calculating the salt?

I was planning on using either vinegar or lactic acid at the end if needed to get at least a minimum pH 4.0 for a shelf stable sauce.
Also have some xanthan gum to stabilize the sauce and prevent separation.

Last edited:
Did you find a 3.5% brine recommended somewhere?
What is a 3.5% brine ??
How do you make it...
3.5% salt to peppers + water weight ??
Dave, directions for my ferment, pickling is 2 tbls to 4 qts. spring or distilled water. Use celtic sea salt. Dirty looking. They say is full of minerals which is great for ferment and your gut.

Dave, directions for my ferment, pickling is 2 tbls to 4 qts. spring or distilled water. Use celtic sea salt. Dirty looking. They say is full of minerals which is great for ferment and your gut.
For this I used Redmond brand mined sea salt. it too is full of supposedly beneficial minerals.
But more importantly no additives.

This brine works out to approx 1.5T per quart of water.

Starting my first fermentation with the goal of making and bottling some hot sauce.

Ready, Set, Go!

1J56xm3.jpg

Ghosts, Fresno and Jalapeno chiles combined with Bell peppers, White onion and Garlic.
12 Ghost
14 Fresno
5 Jalapeno
Yield about four (4) cups.

wnJ341v.jpg

3 Bell peppers - three (3) cups
1 White onion - two (2) cups
Garlic - half (1/2) cup

uI872YR.jpg

Distilled water and pure sea salt combined for a 3.5% brine solution.

wvLBfct.jpg

Now I find a warm, dark spot for it to do it's thing for about the next 3-4 months.
Pray that it goes well with no yeast, mold or rot.
Hoping for the nice bubble, bubble, bubble of CO2 being generated by the process.
Wish me luck.
Good luck! It will be good. Usually cloudy. I just screw back and forth without picking up. Can't help but it, always gotta look everyday. Should have air bubbles poking up to tell you it is fermenting. Keep in dark area, 65* plus or minus is good from my reading, and seems to work. Exact science on ratios blows my mind on many things. .Have fermented 1 week to a month, longer the better. I ad 1/4 cup apple cider vinegar and1 cup brine when done and puree it all up. Thats what i do. Happy fermenting

I just checked my recipe and it calls for 2% on the cabbage.. weigh down for 6-8 weeks or longer... Weigh out the salt and the cabbage..

I don't know anything about fermenting, but if it doesn't work it will make one colorful Christmas tree ornament. Looks good so far John - good luck

Point for sure
Chris

Reactions: chilerelleno
I read 3 Tbsp or less salt per quart. I did 1 Tbsp to 16oz distilled water. Salt draws out water/carbs in fruit but the lactic acid drops the ph to kill bad bacteria till carbs are consumed then the Kham yeast may form in an aerobic environment post fermentation but isn't a mold so no toxins. Just scoop it off. So less than 3 Tbsp salt/qt water won't kill lactobacillus. I did this Carolina Reaper batch this morning after seeing this thread yesterday. I had the air lock with my beer making gear. I did find a shot glass to hold down all but a couple chunks of CR. I cleaned all parts in the jar in dist. White vinegar over night, thoroughly rinsed before putting everything together. Put the jar in a bowl in case of a little fermenting over flow.
20191027_082216.jpg

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky