Mini-Fatty...

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

SonnyE

Master of the Pit
Original poster
OTBS Member
Dec 13, 2017
Saugus, California
OK, impulse got the best of me...Again.
So I went and got Hamburger, Eggs, and Milk....
(And ham, and bacon, and a box of beer, and hot dogs, and generally blew the budget. :oops: )
Then did my typical patty making with the 7# of Hamburger into 1# - 4 patty packages, froze, and vacuum sealed.
Except for the 3½ patties... I decided to try making a Patty Fatty. Or a Beef Fatty.
So, two ¼#, and the half Patty, I figured made me ~5/8 Fatty Patty Pie. Or a half a Fatty.
I know, it sounds confusing. But ½ a Fatty beats no fatty and skinny and being sad on the fatty sidelines.
In with both feet...

20180526_115346[1].jpg (Click to enlarge)
Hamburger, Ham, Gouda, Italian Sausage (spicy), Grated Chedder, and seasoned with Sonny's Secret BBQ Seasoning. Beginning the roll-up.
As you can see, this looks like what it is, a First Time Fatty Patty Attempt.
I have no shame... :p:D

20180526_115817[1].jpg Size shot- 20180526_115900[1].jpg On a dinner plate.
I just think the diagonal weave is too sexy!

20180526_120518[1].jpg 20180526_120549[1].jpg Lonesome in the heat.
Onto a mat, and into the fire! Poor Baby!
I had the Char-Broil gasser hot anyway at 350° because I've been seasoning my cast iron cookware after reworking it. So it was an easy go.
Set my phone for 1 hour, and this Baby Fatty is baking away.

Ding, a, ling. Go check that thing....

20180526_130838[1].jpg
All I know is it's getting a tan, and sizzeling in the heat.
Gave it another hour... Then changed my mind. (It's a small thing...)
I decided to check in 30 minutes.

I'm going for the Chris Method. When the bacon is done, likely the innards will be too.
But since this is my first time, I'm apt to poke it with a probe as well.
All I know for sure is that the dog and I will eat it.

This is a disaster in progress. Stay tuned. ;):D

(I forgot the onnion. It's OK, their is Onion Pow-der in the SSS.)

Last edited:
Looking good sonny! A mini fattie is better than no fattie at all!

Scott
Well, Scott, it's off to the races.
This cookin stuff is becoming real interesting.
I think I should start small, until I get the hang of it.
Little Victories.

I have my AMNPS in the Grill now, too. Don't expect much from it. Kind of like a fart in a hurricane in that big old gas oven.

From the pictures it looks good. Just remember I use sausage in mine. Theres more fat in sausage then hamburger. If you think it's done and the bacon isn't fully cooked you can pop it into the oven either at 400* or under the broiler to finish the bacon. I don't usually use hamburg, but lot's of folks do. Keep us posted.

Points for sure.

Chris

gmc2003, post: 1834908, member: 59712"]From the pictures it looks good. Just remember I use sausage in mine. Theres more fat in sausage then hamburger. If you think it's done and the bacon isn't fully cooked you can pop it into the oven either at 400* or under the broiler to finish the bacon. I don't usually use hamburg, but lot's of folks do. Keep us posted.

Points for sure.

Chris[/QUOTE]

Itty Bitty Fatti. Like! B

Thanks Brothers!
I'm about due to poke it. (Um, been flying blind so far, just watching the bacon brown up.)
It is 80/20 chuck Hamburger. So maybe fatty enough. ?? By guess and by golly. LOL!
Sorry, but I'm a bigger fan of Beef than Sausage.
But it was fun and easy to make. A few refinements to do though. Sliced cheese is hard to roll when cold. And waxed paper is a PITA trying to roll Hamburger! (I didn't want to fight the plastic crap... I mean wrap.)
OK, think I better go poke it for IT. Just because I really have no clue about what I'm doing. LOL! ROTFLMAO!
The weave was flawless Chris. I can see me doing this more.

I don't even know what the pit temperature is besides the hood thermometer, which is holding ~350. I'm a seat of my pants flyer, Brian. In fact, probably a damn good thing I don't fly. :rolleyes:o_O LOL!
Thanks for the points guys!

Edit In:
Whatcha think?

20180526_151001[1].jpg 20180526_154907[1].jpg

It's done inside at 210.3°
But I like Chris' browner version.
Torch? Or just more time?

Last edited:
OMG! So good!
Dry, sorry guys, but still very tasty.
If this is a failure, it bares repeating!
No wonder you guys love these Fatty's.
I love it, and my little buddy loves it too.
I think I need to put a little Doctored Sweet Baby Rays on the plate for dippin. Then dig in again.
Didn't realize how hungry I am.

Oh, even better!
But still dry, of course.
But for my first time, I will be back!

OK, no pictures, didn't happen...

20180526_162400[1].jpg

20180526_162912[1].jpg

20180526_162957[1].jpg
20180526_163058[1].jpg

Oh Yeah! This definitely bares repeating!
And I can see why folks make big ones, and double batches.
Fun, pretty easy for this first timer, and good results.
Next time I'll use my ThermoPro to monitor the internal temperature.
More cheese, and bigger.
No regrets.

Going back for thirds.... :eek::rolleyes:o_O

Looks great. Your saying it was dry, using sausage will fix that I bet.

It looks perfect. The bacon looks great.

Looks great. Your saying it was dry, using sausage will fix that I bet.

It looks perfect. The bacon looks great.

Thank You Adam!
I think I over cooked it, probably.
But I've had much worse first time results.
The bacon is crisp, just like I like mine to be. But it fooled me into thinking it wasn't done enough.
It is. The amber color threw me off.
I've eaten 3/4's of it, and the wife had a taste. (She's cautious of my experiments. And rightfully so. LOL!)
I can't say the AMNPS added any, or much, in the way of smoke flavor.
But a gas burner isn't a smoker to me. Way to fast of an air exchange to get smoke flavoring.

The acid test is my little buddy loves it!
So for a first time attempt, I'm really happy!

Thank You Adam!
I think I over cooked it, probably.
But I've had much worse first time results.
The bacon is crisp, just like I like mine to be. But it fooled me into thinking it wasn't done enough.
It is. The amber color threw me off.
I've eaten 3/4's of it, and the wife had a taste. (She's cautious of my experiments. And rightfully so. LOL!)
I can't say the AMNPS added any, or much, in the way of smoke flavor.
But a gas burner isn't a smoker to me. Way to fast of an air exchange to get smoke flavoring.

The acid test is my little buddy loves it!
So for a first time attempt, I'm really happy!

Get a tube for smoke in your gasser. It smokes more.

Looking good Sonny. I always make my fatties with ground beef 85/15, and they're never dry. So yep, I'm thinking you overcooked it somewhat.
GREAT bacon weave.
You can also light your AMNPS from both ends to get more smoke.
POINT
Gary

Thanks Gary!
I'm sure I over cooked it. But there wasn't any bad bugs left alive in it. LOL!
I'll do better next time. I promise!
The bacon weave was a blast! I laid down the first part, but flipped every other one end for end so the wide parts were staggered. Once the first weave was in I was moving right along. It worked ok on waxed paper.
I need a better way to roll up though. Hamburger on Waxed Paper is the pits! Our plastic wrap is almost gone and it's the absolute pits to try and work with. I have: Waxed Paper, Foil, Parchment Paper, and Nasty Wrap.
So I need to put on my thinking cap about a better way to roll the rascal up. Or a lot more practice. LOL!
The AMNPS was a real afterthought. Almost too late in the game. But I'll keep lighting both ends in mind.

All in all, a fun experience.

Great job Sonny. You may want to try parchment paper instead of wax paper. At least for me it works a whole lot better. If the innards get done before the bacon, pop it in the oven under the broiler for a tad.

Point for the sure
Chris

Reactions: SonnyE
I have never taken one to that high of an IT, but then I cook the bacon first & put it in the fattie.
Then put some pork rub on the outside.
However yours looks incredibly good!
So whatever works!!
Al

Reactions: SonnyE
Great job Sonny. You may want to try parchment paper instead of wax paper. At least for me it works a whole lot better. If the innards get done before the bacon, pop it in the oven under the broiler for a tad.

Point for the sure
Chris

I have never taken one to that high of an IT, but then I cook the bacon first & put it in the fattie.
Then put some pork rub on the outside.
However yours looks incredibly good!
So whatever works!!
Al

Thanks Guys!
LOL! I almost used Parchment Paper. Had it out, started to pull it out, then rolled it back up. LOL!
Wax paper is the pits for meat, in my experience. I'm about ready to swear off on it.
How thick do you guys roll your Fatty Patty out to? I think mine was ~ ¼". I had to do the play-doh square up. Our ziploc bags have this pleat in the bottom and a gallon bag was the pits.
All things on the learning curve... :rolleyes:

Next time I will use my ThermPro to monitor the IT. I was quite surprised it was that hot internally when I did probe it.
I just was thinking of things on hand when I put it together.
I bet it would be fun to "strip cut" the ham and weave it inside, and grated cheese would be easier to roll-up than slices.

All in all, it was fun and it tasted good! In spite of the cook... LOL! Speedy and I both liked it.
It's something I want to do again, and again. (But better and better) :D

Edit In:
I went looking and I think I will stock up on Parchment Paper. It is more universal to our household than Kraft Paper would be.

Last edited:
Well, Scott, it's off to the races.
This cookin stuff is becoming real interesting.
I think I should start small, until I get the hang of it.
Little Victories.

I have my AMNPS in the Grill now, too. Don't expect much from it. Kind of like a fart in a hurricane in that big old gas oven.
Kinda like a fart in a hurricane... That made me chuckle!!
Looks great and a very nice bacon weave!

Kinda like a fart in a hurricane... That made me chuckle!!
Looks great and a very nice bacon weave!

Thank You!
My gas grill seems to have a lot of ventilation. Spell that: Leaks like a sieve... Nature of the beast.

First time bacon weaving for me.:oops:
As I pealed the strips of bacon from the package and laid them down. I noticed one end was wider. So I end-for-ended every other piece of bacon to try and keep a square going.
Once I laid out enough to be as wide as the bacon was long, I followed the way Chris began his weave.
Then did that same thing with the end-for-end, and tried to keep the gaps snug.
I had my Fatty Patty Roll-Up on a plate in the fridge staying cold. Then rolled the Fatty in the weave, and ended it with the overlap and ends tucked under the end of the Fatty Patty Roll-Up Assembly.
I was pretty shocked it came out like it did.
I decided to use the mesh from the smoker to give the FPRUA extra support out and onto the grill. That worked good.
I was reluctant to try this Fatty adventure for a while now. I'm not that fond of Sausage in the first place. So when I read where others use hamburger, I just fell over the edge.
The stars aligned, I was sent to Sam's Club alone, and that was that. I came home Fatty Patty prepped and primed.
At least the Admiral wasn't too P.O. o_O

Sonny, If I understood you mathematics correctly it sounded like you used a little over a 1/2 lb. of burger. A gallon zip lock would be way to big for that amount of meat. Maybe next time you can try to only roll it flat to fill 1/2 the bag or bagless on a cutting board and just square it up with your knife skills. I think mine roll out to be a little over a 1/4 inch thick. BTW you said the significant other tried a piece - did she like it?

Chris

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky