mexican chorizo.........

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
that should make an interesting blend.......

the pasilla and ancho are good too.............i'd do a blend of all.

Did you make your tortilla's?  I've been meaning to try a chorizo forever and your pics and post got me fired up.

Tortilla's? Favorite brand or two or do you make your own?

Spices - are there any brands that you think makes the flavor best? oregano, chili, etc?

How about your gas wok fryer? That looks a lot flatter then most I've seen. Got a link to one of those?

Thanks! Awesome food drool post. I want breakfast now and it's after midnight!

Did you make your tortilla's?  I've been meaning to try a chorizo forever and your pics and post got me fired up.
I strongly recommend 'make your own'. Masa flour is cheap, the skill set required is minimal, a decent press is all you need, and they taste NOTHING like those pre-packaged tortillas one finds in the supermarket.

We make them fresh all the time. No wheat flour—just the masa. Press 'em out & put them on a hot griddle for 2 minutes.

TASTY! Served with Rob's great chorizo =a winning combo!

I can vouch for Rob's Chorizo recipe as I've made it. Real good 'authentic' flavor.

Great stuff: http://www.smokingmeatforums.com/t/126460/mexican-chorizo-my-version-of-chef-robs-with-pix

Kevin 

Last edited:
Almost looks good enough to eat.  Ha! Ha!

241.png

Tortilla's? Favorite brand or two or do you make your own?

Spices - are there any brands that you think makes the flavor best? oregano, chili, etc?

How about your gas wok fryer? That looks a lot flatter then most I've seen. Got a link to one of those?

Thanks! Awesome food drool post. I want breakfast now and it's after midnight!
i don't make my own since i like flour instead of corn and there are great ones made here locally. if you like corn, then i would do as cougar said......home made corn blows store bought away.

spices....i have a mexican market close by so i use thier house brand in bulk.........it doesn't sit on the shelf like big brands. i will say if you are going to use oregano DO NOT use mediterainian, you must use mexican oregano or don't use any at all. the pan in this thread is a pro-grade nonstick 14'' pan. i do have a wok in other threads and i got it at a restaurant supply store for about $30.

also use the 2nd recipe in this thread........and let me know how it works for you!

Anyone tried stuffing this recipe?  I'm assuming all I'd need to do is substitute 1 tbsp of kosher salt for 2 tsp of Cure #1 in a 10lb batch and smoke away..(?)

Anyone tried stuffing this recipe?  I'm assuming all I'd need to do is substitute 1 tbsp of kosher salt for 2 tsp of Cure #1 in a 10lb batch and smoke away..(?)
i did and i smoked it........as far as the salt......don't sub and just add 11grams of cure #1.

Ok, I'm going to make this one up either tomorrow or Sunday, got a couple questions first though.

I assume that the capital T is for tablespoon and therefore all the ingredients are in increments of tablespoon, correct?  I have always hated that there are about a million different ways to abbreviate tablespoons and teaspoons and that everyone uses a different one.

Also, for the chile Colorado sauce it says 2 cups water but recipe above uses 4 cups of the sauce, will the ingredients cook out to 4 cups or will I need to double the sauce recipe.

Gonna be making this up along with some of Pop's breakfast sausage and some Italian.  Have 17 lbs of butt to split between the three and still have to go tomorrow to get some fat.  So I should be ending up with quite a bit of sausage.

-Wilson

Ok, I'm going to make this one up either tomorrow or Sunday, got a couple questions first though.

I assume that the capital T is for tablespoon and therefore all the ingredients are in increments of tablespoon, correct? 

Looks like that is correct...T = TBS or Tbs

Also, for the chile Colorado sauce it says 2 cups water but recipe above uses 4 cups of the sauce, will the ingredients cook out to 4 cups or will I need to double the sauce recipe.

-Wilson
Wilson, evening... I looked at Rob's recipe for the sauce.... I think you need to double it for that recipe of chorizo.... 

Dave

This is a great recipe; I made this a couple weeks ago albeit forgetting the vinegar, but it's still super tasty.  I stuffed, but in the future I'll probably keep it as bulk.  I think the hog casings I'm using are a little thick (chewy) for breakfast.

Chorizo con pappas a la ChefRob:

Thanks a bunch for the recipe, I was a little afraid to use that much of the chile Colorado sauce so I cut it back by about 1/2 a cup on 5 pounds, but next time it will get the full amount.  Still great though.

-Wilson

Chorizo con pappas a la ChefRob:

Thanks a bunch for the recipe, I was a little afraid to use that much of the chile Colorado sauce so I cut it back by about 1/2 a cup on 5 pounds, but next time it will get the full amount.  Still great though.

-Wilson
sorry for the late reply but damn that looks great!!!

as for the tablespoon question...i am a proffesional chef and in the industry we use T. for tablespoon and t. for teaspoon.

as for the chili question all the ingredients will make the 4C. of auce needed

micky, next time use all the vinegar and all the sauce and see what you think..

also i just package this as loose or bulk sausage in 1# bags and seal them for the freezer.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky