mexican chorizo.........

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

chefrob

Master of the Pit
Original poster
OTBS Member
Sep 13, 2009
az
con pappas.....breakfast of champions!

here is how we make it........

MEXICAN PORK CHORIZO

10# PORK GROUND

2 C. CIDER VINEGAR

2 T. GARLIC POWDER

2 T. PAPRIKA

1 T. BLACK PEPPER

2 T. MEXICAN OREGANO

2 T. GRANULATED ONION

3 T. CUMIN

5 T. KOSHER SALT

3 T. NEW MEXICO CHILI POWDER

3 T. CHIPOTLE POWDER

4 C. CHILE COLORADO (RED CHILI SAUCE)....see below

CHILE COLORADO (RED CHILI SAUCE)

8oz DRIED CHILI PODS, STEMS REMOVED

1 ONION, COARSE CHOPPED

1 HEAD GARLIC, PEELED

2 C. WATER

PLACE ALL INGREDINTS IN COVERED POT AND BRING TO A BOIL, REDUCE HEAT AND SIMMER 15 MINUTES. PLACE CHILIS, ONIONS AND GARLIC IN A BLENDER AND PUREE WITH RESERVED WATER UNTIL SMOOTH ANDDESIRED THICKNESS IS OBTAINED. RETURN TO STOVE AND SIMMER FOR 15 MNUTES AND SALT TO TASTE.

grind 75-80% pork to fat with a 10 mm or 3/8 plate then partial freeze, regrind with same plate and place in a meat mixer. combine the rest of the ingredients in a bowl and wisk until combined, pour into meat mixer and mix until incorporated, transfer to nonreactive container covered and refrigerate overnight. ready to use or package and freeze.

2cec25a8_IMGP1789.jpg

saute in pan............

294faf7b_IMGP1787.jpg

remove, fry potatoes and then add back to the pan.

3574090d_IMGP1790.jpg

finish until potatoes are done........

605b4008_IMGP1791.jpg

top with eggs and have at it.............

adf60d78_IMGP1793.jpg

thx for stoppin' by..............

Last edited:
Hey Rob that looks awesome. I could go for a plate of that right now 

Awesome!!

It is exactly what I was looking for..

Just picked up 40lbs of butt at 1.45 too

Wheeee........ it is andouille and chorizo weekend.

Craig

icon_cool.gif

Now that was a fine looking breakfast and I wish I had some of that now. I'm hungry and I to just happen to have a mess of pork butt laying in the refrig right now.

Lookin' awesome Chef...Filed for future production...JJ

Thanks Rob.... Looks good enough to eat to me..... recipe is in the SMF book..... I'm lookin' forward to chorizo that is not "head to tail".

Dave

After seeing the pics of the chorizo taters and eggs I had to try and make some.....Was a little confused by the recipe though.....Added verything except the red chile sauce. The recipe called for 4 cups and the ingedents list was for 2 cups, ya u could double it, but that seemed like a lot of garlic since it already called for garlic powder. Other than that, it looked good and the test fry was tasty. put it in 1 lb freezer bags and will fry the first batch this weekend....pics to follow

this has been a work in progress and this is what i did for my last batch and i think it is the best so far....

10# PORK GROUND

2 C. CIDER VINEGAR

2 T. GALIC POWDER

3 T. PAPRIKA

1 T. BLACK PEPPER

2 T. MEXICAN OREGANO

2 T. GRANULATED ONION

4 T. CUMIN

5 T. KOSHER SALT

4 T. NEW MEXICO CHILI POWDER

1 T. CAYENNE CHILI POWDER

4 C. CHILE COLORADO (RED CHILI SAUCE)

as for the chili colorado that has not changed any and if you use 2C. of water and one good sized onion and the chilis rehydrate the volume should be around 4C. total......i really urge you to do the chili sauce as it brings a rounded "chili flavor" with not being too hot.  can't wait to see your breakfast!

chefrob....

Thanks for sharing. This is on my short list for the upcoming weekend.

What kind of dried chile pods do you use or recommend in the sauce?

chefrob....

Thanks for sharing. This is on my short list for the upcoming weekend.

What kind of dried chile pods do you use or recommend in the sauce?
 you can use any type.......chili de arbol, ancho (dried pasilla) but i use dried new mexico chili pods which is what most use for making tamales. i do recomend using mild so that you are getting flavor over heat and then just use cayenne for heat. if you notice that is one of the changes in the updated version.

you can use any type.......chili de arbol, ancho (dried pasilla) but i use dried new mexico chili pods which is what most use for making tamales. i do recomend using mild so that you are getting flavor over heat and then just use cayenne for heat. if you notice that is one of the changes in the updated version.
Thanks - I've got ancho, pasilla, guajillo, and arbol in the pantry so I guess I'm good to go.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky