Mesquite Smoked Beef Short Ribs with QView!!!

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

tallbm

Legendary Pitmaster
Original poster
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Dec 30, 2016
Texas
A few weeks ago my mother surprised me with a nice big pack of beef short ribs and I smoked em today. I smoke quite a few briskets and love them but to me, beef ribs (not the meatless back ribs) are my favorite smoked BBQ item of them all!!!
I buy plate ribs when I can but these looked real close to the plate ribs I get from Costco and these tasted great!!!

FAOD5re.png
7Y6vFTM.png
mRbBzJ0.png
WnFyx1N.png
q4mtZpC.png

They tasted amazing and the pics tell the story.

I smoked em with 100% Lumberjack Mesquite (down to about 10 pounds left before i try another local brand of 100% Mesquite pellets).
Seasoned with SPOG.

Ate with a little bit of Rudy's BBQ Sause. I'll have some more tomorrow. Enjoy!

Those ribs look really, really good. Just beautiful and perfectly cooked.
But do you really need it? The ribs look good just as is.
I kinda gotta agree with Steve here. Those look plenty good enough that sauce wouldn't be needed...but that's just me :emoji_wink:

Robert

Those ribs look absolutely amazing!
I agree, they look so juicy, they don’t need sauce. However I like BBQ sauce so even the best ribs get sauced for me.
Al

Rudy's sauce is good.
But do you really need it? The ribs look good just as is.
Nah didnt need it but I love good sauces and I wanted a little extra treat.

I have cut out most sugars and a ton of carbs so having a little bit of Rudy's was that extra icing on the cake for me so I went all out with just a touch of sauce to also have with it :)

Great looking ribs, I could go for a couple of those.

I love using Mesquite for a lot of my smokes

David
Thanks David! The rest get eaten today. Mesquite + beef are the most heavenly smoke combo to me. I also make a rack of St Louis style ribs along with these beef ribs but that was just cause I needed to cook em up. They came out great as well with the mesquite.

The beef was the stare of the show so I didnt even take pictures of the pork ribs :)

Great looking ribs Carlo!
Thanks! They are for dinner again tonight :)

beautiful looking ribs!! thanks for sharing!
Thanks! I'm glad I could share it with everyone and hoped folks would enjoy the post :)

nice thanks for sharing
Thanks! I'm glad you enjoyed my share :)

Those ribs look really, really good. Just beautiful and perfectly cooked.

I kinda gotta agree with Steve here. Those look plenty good enough that sauce wouldn't be needed...but that's just me :emoji_wink:

Robert
Thanks! I do 1 little trick where I take the peeled skin from the bone side and I cut it in half. Then I use tooth pics to pin that over the "meat ends" (ends without bones) so that the skin keeps those meat ends from drying out and takes the brunt of the drying up themselves. This spares me from having to spritz or foil wrap the meat ends as they have a tendency to want to dry or crisp up a bit too much.
Not with this approach!

Also I put 3 meat probes in it like I do with a brisket and when the lowest one reads 203-204F on beef ribs I go and do a probe test ensuring i probe the meat closer to the bone as well as all over. When tender I pull!

Just following good practices and I get great beef ribs :)

Yeah didn't need the sauce, but was a little treat for me since I love Rudy's and I cut out sugars and tons of carbs daily. I use a good sugar free bbq sauce (Head Country sugar free) but this called for a touch of the best stuff out there as my extra treat :D

Delicious looking ribs for sure.
Thanks! They sure are!

Those look great.

Wish they weren't so expensive here.
Thanks! Yeah they are expensive. I am lucky these were gifted and my mother got em on sale. My expensive in the North Texas area is still waaaaaay less expensive than other parts of the country. Helps that I'm in beef country :)

Those ribs look absolutely amazing!
I agree, they look so juicy, they don’t need sauce. However I like BBQ sauce so even the best ribs get sauced for me.
Al
Thanks! Yeah they didnt need the sauce but like you, I enjoy some sauce and I broke out just a little bit of the best for these bad boys :)

Overall I'm a sauce guy with everything. I like extra sauce on my pizza. I like a lot of sauce on my pasta. Lots of gravy on my gravy dishes, etc. etc.

I'm not a fan of dry food AND I'm honestly not much of a bread guy. HOWEVER, when there is a good sauce or gravy involved it makes everything better and makes that dipped bread soooooo good :)

• Haha
Reactions: DRKsmoking
I didnt even take pictures of the pork ribs :)

that is very inconsiderate of you for the pork ribs...LOL
But as long as they were enjoyed also

Like I mentioned I use Mesquite for most smokes , and also hickory. I have apple and cherry but do not find a lot of flavor in those. If doing a Dessert i will use Apple so so not so strong on the smoke.

David

Those Ribs look delicious!

- Jason
Thanks Jason!! They sure were :D

that is very inconsiderate of you for the pork ribs...LOL
But as long as they were enjoyed also

Like I mentioned I use Mesquite for most smokes , and also hickory. I have apple and cherry but do not find a lot of flavor in those. If doing a Dessert i will use Apple so so not so strong on the smoke.

David
Hahaha. The pork ribs are getting eaten on today and likely finished tomorrow :D

I find I like my bacon and my sausages with 70% Apple and 30% Hickory.

I do my general chicken and pork smokes with about 60-65% Hickory and then even parts Maple and Cherry to finish out the wood.

Cherry pellets just don't wanna burn on their own and I have yet to make any dust from them so I always mix cherry with something.

When I want a middle of the road can work for everything wood my goto is Maple. Oak is so overused in my area I don't want any part of it hahaha. Maple is my favorite all around and is what I do my sandwich meat smokes with.

Alder for my Salmon. Mesquite is a must for my beef.

It's nice to be able to mix and match and play around to get flavors I want/like or find flavors that do nothing for me (Pecan pellets do little for me).

100% Hickory makes everything taste too much like bacon for me so unless I'm doing 100% hickory bacon I dont like going above 60-65% hickory on anything.

Reactions: millerbuilds
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky