MES won’t stop heating

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

jdk2007

Original poster
Dec 2, 2020
I have a MES sportsman elite. When I plug cord into power it immediately starts heating. Even without smoker turned on. Then never stops. I unplugged the controller and it still heats up right away. I have back and bottom panel off as well as connectors to heating element taken off just wondering what to replace first?? Any input would be great.
Thanks

Weird they have a digital control powering a EMR. Way to cheap out. Now the question is. Is this a board mounted relay, or separate.

Reactions: JC in GB
According to SonnyE and his:
relay is not stand alone... it's integrated on board...

Reactions: zwiller
The board itself is only 25.00. I'd just buy that instead of messing around with replacing the relay. If, f course. That's the right board. Probably is.

Reactions: zwiller
My board is riveted from the inside. Not going to be fun getting out. Relay should be open when the smoker is off correct? I checked continuity and it was. Which surprised me I figured it would be stuck closed. Makes me wonder if my issue isn’t the relay

There are only 2 things after the relay. Which is the high limit switch and the heater.
1607020559485.png

Unless with all the bumping around the smoker took while you were investigating the issue. The contacts freed up.
Are you using the same outlet as you have been?

power to the heater is supplied across relay normally open contact only... signal to operate relay is supplied across transistor... I am pretty sure relay is the problem... relay normally open contacts are only way to supply power to the heater...
If relay is good then only other thing that could be bad is shorted transistor supplying relay coil directly from DC rectifier supply...

Last edited:
My board is riveted from the inside. Not going to be fun getting out. Relay should be open when the smoker is off correct? I checked continuity and it was. Which surprised me I figured it would be stuck closed. Makes me wonder if my issue isn’t the relay
Try to disconnect (I assume) red wire off of relay... leave it disconnected and plug the smoker back in and it should not heat up..
Again.. all of our troubleshooting is based on posted wiring diagram which seems to be 10 yrs old...

Last edited:
power to the heater is supplied across relay normally open contact only... signal to operate relay is supplied across transistor... I am pretty sure relay is the problem... relay normally open contacts are only way to supply power to the heater...
If relay is good then only other thing that could be bad is shorted transistor supplying relay coil directly from DC supply...

I was thinking that too. But he said he unplugged the controller. So, I'm assuming he meant power to the main board. Maybe not.
I haven't dealt with transistors a lot. Other then testing to see if they're open or shorted. But I don't recall hearing that a transistor could short or fail intermittently. Board level trouble shooting is not my calling.

I was thinking that too. But he said he unplugged the controller. So, I'm assuming he meant power to the main board. Maybe not.
I haven't dealt with transistors a lot. Other then testing to see if they're open or shorted. But I don't recall hearing that a transistor could short or fail intermittently. Board level trouble shooting is not my calling.
I am not that good with boards either but DC from rectifier supplies relay coil across transistor and AC supplies power to heater across relay normally open contacts...

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky