Mes portable mailbox mod

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Sim Shoeman

Original poster
Apr 24, 2018
Hi all im new here, its an honor to join a group of true professionals in the world of bbq.

Last year someone gifted me with the portable electric , unfortunately i didnt know than that i would have been better off exchanging it and getting a larger one , oh well
I started with chips and had a very frustrating summer attempting to smoke without getting any good results, I all but gave up on the idea of smoking anything when I decided recently to give the amnps a try - i quickly realized that in the portable theres no where optimal to place it - so i decided to go with the mailbox im currently putting it together ... i know the portable is not optimal for the mailbox but its worth a try because my other options are garbage , so if anyone has done it or can offer some advice id really appreciate it
thank you

Last edited:
I’ve never used a mes portable. I’m wondering if the amazn tube would be a better option for you?

Scott

A wee bit vague there Sim, what is "the portable electric" :confused: Is it like one of these?
You are in great company coming here to work on your modifications and getting things up and sm00ken.
If it is like one of those, maybe you want to consider one of Amazen's smaller tube smokers, thinking a 6".
Otherwise, how you could incorporate a mailbox mod is kind of difficult over the web. Most folks have the MES 30's or MES 40's, so hooking up is through the chip shoot, or simply setting an AMNPS or the like in the box itself.
Is your AMNPS (not ampns?) capable of setting in the bottom where the water of chip pan sat?
Otherwise, you may have to penetrate the side or bottom for a tube from a mailbox mod.

I think I would look toward a 6" tube for a smoke maker, and just set it inside. AMNTS :)

A wee bit vague there Sim, what is "the portable electric" :confused: Is it like one of these?
You are in great company coming here to work on your modifications and getting things up and sm00ken.
If it is like one of those, maybe you want to consider one of Amazen's smaller tube smokers, thinking a 6".
Otherwise, how you could incorporate a mailbox mod is kind of difficult over the web. Most folks have the MES 30's or MES 40's, so hooking up is through the chip shoot, or simply setting an AMNPS or the like in the box itself.
Is your AMNPS (not ampns?) capable of setting in the bottom where the water of chip pan sat?
Otherwise, you may have to penetrate the side or bottom for a tube from a mailbox mod.

I think I would look toward a 6" tube for a smoke maker, and just set it inside. AMNTS :)
from what i read the tube gives too much smoke for a small box, plus i want a longer burn time.
i dont mind cutting a hole into the smoker , i didnt think of the bottom- i was going to cut in on the left side that does sound like a good idea i gotta check it out additionally since its small its hard to get away from the heating element and it will catch fire -put it on the 2nd shelf and it probably wont get enough airflow..

Last edited:
Hi all im new here, its an honor to join a group of true professionals in the world of bbq.

Last year someone gifted me with the portable electric , unfortunately i didnt know than that i would have been better off exchanging it and getting a larger one , oh well
I started with chips and had a very frustrating summer attempting to smoke without getting any good results, I all but gave up on the idea of smoking anything when I decided recently to give the amnps a try - i quickly realized that in the portable theres no where optimal to place it - so i decided to go with the mailbox im currently putting it together ... i know the portable is not optimal for the mailbox but its worth a try because my other options are garbage , so if anyone has done it or can offer some advice id really appreciate it
thank you

If it's the little bullet smoke I'm thinking it is then this user and post may have some helpful input for you:
https://www.smokingmeatforums.com/threads/assembled-my-new-masterbuilt.270371/

If it's the little bullet smoke I'm thinking it is then this user and post may have some helpful input for you:
https://www.smokingmeatforums.com/threads/assembled-my-new-masterbuilt.270371/
Nope its actually the one sonny linked before- this is the inside im not going to go from the bottom because the liquid will drip down into it, the right side is also an issue because it should probably be under the lower rack (correct me if im wrong on that )but theres not really enough room due to the plug , so the left side it is ....
mes.jpg

Attachments

• mes.jpg
    mes.jpg
    150.9 KB · Views: 6
There's your entrance Sim. I would plumb up to that hole in the bottom with your mod hose/pipe.
The typical aluminum dryer vent tube should be form-able (squish it to oval) and fit it in there.
It is 3" I.D. I used the more expensive type that is corrugated and extendable. Then I extended it to ~8', because my intent was for cooling and creosote condensation before my Sm00ker oven.
Typically, a green beans can, or a chili can, can be used at the mailbox or sm00ker ends to mount the aluminum tube on.

I use pellets, and an AMNPS tray for mine.
daveomak (Dave, Omak, WA) recommends sawdust for its cooler smoke generation.
I've used a mixture of pellets on the bottom, then Oak or Alder sawdust over the pellets to make the pellets act as a "fuse" to keep the Oak dust burning.
One thing that got me to buy the AMNPS was that it can be used with either pellets, or dust. I like getting two for ones with any tool I buy. ;)

You are welcome to any ideas from my journey modifying my MES30 to work my way. My way is Ambient to full heat 275° the MES does. I had to modify mine to do cold sm00king (<100 degrees). I like to sm00ke cheeses and almonds in mine.

Truth be told, I probably could have modified a Yeti and found happiness. LOL!

There's your entrance Sim. I would plumb up to that hole in the bottom with your mod hose/pipe.
The typical aluminum dryer vent tube should be form-able (squish it to oval) and fit it in there.
It is 3" I.D. I used the more expensive type that is corrugated and extendable. Then I extended it to ~8', because my intent was for cooling and creosote condensation before my Sm00ker oven.
Typically, a green beans can, or a chili can, can be used at the mailbox or sm00ker ends to mount the aluminum tube on.

I've used a mixture of pellets on the bottom, then Oak or Alder sawdust over the pellets to make the pellets act as a "fuse" to keep the Oak dust burning.
One thing that got me to buy the AMNPS was that it can be used with either pellets, or dust. I like getting two for ones with any tool I buy. ;)

You are welcome to any ideas from my journey modifying my MES30 to work my way. My way is Ambient to full heat 275° the MES does. I had to modify mine to do cold sm00king (<100 degrees). I like to sm00ke cheeses and almonds in mine.

Hmm i thought about that but im concerned that it will reduce air to the smoker, unless thats not an issue because the pellets are burning in the mailbox anyway...

Hmm i thought about that but im concerned that it will reduce air to the smoker, unless thats not an issue because the pellets are burning in the mailbox anyway...

It'll work. The smoker box will be drawing from your mailbox mod, as well anywhere else it can draft from. You actually want to divert the draw of your smoker box to your mailbox mod.
The pellets do make some heat, and hot air rises. So you want the laws of convection (hot air rises) to flow from the mailbox mod, through the pipe, through the oven, and out the vent.
Ahhh, nervana!

[QtUOTE="SonnyE, post: 1823097, member: 203067"]It'll work. The smoker box will be drawing from your mailbox mod, as well anywhere else it can draft from. You actually want to divert the draw of your smoker box to your mailbox mod.
The pellets do make some heat, and hot air rises. So you want the laws of convection (hot air rises) to flow from the mailbox mod, through the pipe, through the oven, and out the vent.
Ahhh, nervana![/QUOTE]Thanks I think im going to give it a try

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky