MES 40" digital MB20070122

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

JeffShoaf

Smoke Blower
Original poster
Nov 4, 2021
I'm thinking about getting an electric smoker for long holds after smoking in an insulated gravity feed or stick burner and noticed that Academy Sports has this one on sale for $300. I'm guessing it's a new-ish model since I'm not finding many reviews; a search here didn't find anything either. Anyone have any experience with it?

How good are the MES digitals at holding temps? I'm ok with a 10° swing but wouldn't want more than that.

I was planning on keeping an eye out for used 40" models since I'm not in a hurry but this looks to be a pretty good deal.

Thanks!

I am on my 3rd MES40. The first 2 died cuz I did not protect them from wet weather as good as I should have.

If you are asking for +/- 10F swings - max - it is close to that. Mine is more like -10F to +13F from the set temp.

Also, the top shelf is a few degrees warmer than the 2nd, and cooler a bit more on the 3rd from top shelf.

I smoke anything and everything in it and have had good results. The reason I bought it again is it does a reasonably good job at lower temps (140F-180F) for sausage.

The chip tube is great for short smokes - like 2 hours or less (burgers, salmon, etc.) I drop in 4 or 5 dry chips every 20-30 minutes. For longer smokes I use the A-MAZE-N pellet smoker (AMNPS) - look at Home Depot.

Got mine as a curb side free bee due to a dead controller. Connected a Auber ws-1510elpm PID controller to it and never looked back. I then did the mailbox mod. Perfect size smoker for my fish, etc. You'll be happy with your upcoming purchase.

You'd be hard pressed to find one (without PID control) to have a max 10` swing

If you are asking for +/- 10F swings - max - it is close to that. Mine is more like -10F to +13F from the set temp.

Eddie... If I'm reading right... This would be a 23` swing ? Which is more common with the MES's

You'd be hard pressed to find one (without PID control) to have a max 10` swing

Eddie... If I'm reading right... This would be a 23` swing ? Which is more common with the MES's
Yes…that is correct. From low to high is about 23F. From set point is -10 to +13.

I loved my 30” MES. I liked it so much when we moved from hawaii and I sold mine there, I bought another one because it was just so easy. Like stated above, I used the AMNPS and made it even easier. Only regret I had with mine was I didn’t buy the 40” as it was a little more. I’m sure I’ll end up with a 3rd at some point once we move again. But I’d also recommend a separate thermometer to monitor temp inside. The smoker.

Sounds like you're wanting it just to use as a warmer / holding box . Should work great for that . Even with some temp swing . No smoke , so keep the top vent closed and it should hold temps pretty good .

Reactions: JeffShoaf
Thanks for the responses! As mentioned in my original post, I'm really looking to use it for long holds after smoking in a more traditional smoker - I'm not sure if a >20 degree swing meets the need. My Southern Q Limo and Thermoworks Signals does better than that as long as it doesn't run out of fuel or the charcoal hangs up. Of course, I may be being too anal...

ChopSaw suggested that these would hold temp better with the exhaust closed; I was wondering about that. Hopefully the temp differences between the shelves would moderated too.

I really hoped a digitally controlled unit and insulated unit would have tighter control. I know that an aftermarket PID can do better, but if I'm going that route I'll just wait and see if I can find a used one at a good price.

I'm thinking about getting an electric smoker for long holds after smoking in an insulated gravity feed or stick burner and noticed that Academy Sports has this one on sale for $300. I'm guessing it's a new-ish model since I'm not finding many reviews; a search here didn't find anything either. Anyone have any experience with it?

How good are the MES digitals at holding temps? I'm ok with a 10° swing but wouldn't want more than that.

I was planning on keeping an eye out for used 40" models since I'm not in a hurry but this looks to be a pretty good deal.

Thanks!
I think it should do acceptable BUT I wouldn't buy new.
You can find one on Craiglist or Facebook for $40-$50 or even Free and fix afew wiring issues to get it running if it seem dead.

That would be my approach :)

Reactions: JeffShoaf
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky