Converting a dead MES 40" digital (curb freebie) to analog/manual. Advice on temp controller?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

ManInBlack

Original poster
Apr 6, 2023
Pensacola, FL
Here's the "rub" - picked up a free MES 40" digital (MB20070122). It powered up, but no heat to the element. I tested every single component (even cut an access panel to get to the hi temp cutoff button). Everything tests good, but no power to the element (well, I was pulling 9vac). Not going to troubleshoot further. I'm going to bypass all of the fancy electronics & wire power straight to the element. What are yall's thoughts on a voltage regulator like this to manage temp:

Reactions: KimberlyO
tallbm tallbm knows his way around these machines pretty well, maybe he will chime in.
I think I came across one of his posts about the subject. I'll be using his instruction to wire the ac cord directly to the element. I just need a fairly basic voltage regulator to control wattage on the element. Not even concerned with a thermometer, as I monitor temp on an inkbird. I figure after a couple of good smokes, I'll know where to set the analog control to maintain specific temps (using the top vent as well).

What are yall's thoughts on a voltage regulator like this to manage temp:
Says it works with electric stoves , so should be fine with an MES 40 . The wattage range is advertised to work as well since the wattage of the MES 40 is within that range .

Reactions: ManInBlack
Here's the "rub" - picked up a free MES 40" digital (MB20070122). It powered up, but no heat to the element. I tested every single component (even cut an access panel to get to the hi temp cutoff button). Everything tests good, but no power to the element (well, I was pulling 9vac). Not going to troubleshoot further. I'm going to bypass all of the fancy electronics & wire power straight to the element. What are yall's thoughts on a voltage regulator like this to manage temp:
A power cord 14 gauge terminated directly to the element and the ground tightened to one of the access element screws is the best to see if a gfci trips and test an element. Every other potential problem has been taken out of the circuit, then plug it into an Auber PID and done or do the simple no back removal thread. I wouldn't go analog go digital WH-1803B willhi on/off conroller on Amazon or Auber WS-1510ELPM PID controller.

Reactions: chopsaw
Auber WS-1510ELPM PID controller. My MES40 was a curbside gift as well. Connected a power cord directly to the element as well and plugged the other end into Mr. Auber. Never looked back

I agree with all of the suggestions for an Auber PID, but for a free 2nd MES, I'm doing a complete DIY job - the cheaper the better. As I mentioned, I already have a great working digital model (which I likely will look at upgrading to an Auber), but this one is just a "let's see if this works" unit.

If you are dead set on doing it analog, I suggest you do a search for "Dimmer" by member Daveomak. He has used a household light dimmer switch for control with great success. I have to leave for work in a couple mins so I have no time to find and link it for you. You will have to scan thru the results. I considered doing it myself, but the I decided I didn't want to deal with the guess work on the dial. Still a very workable option.

Reactions: chopsaw
The Auber controllers work well enough. I have used them for my sausage curing chamber. If you are looking for something that is a bit more rugged and repairable, I make PID controllers for forum members.

I use this type of controller for my charcoal and electric smokers.

If you are handy with wiring, I can also talk you through putting together your own control system.

JC :emoji_cat:

Attachments

• Black Cat MK 2 front.jpg
    Black Cat MK 2 front.jpg
    75.5 KB · Views: 44
Hi there and welcome!
That one should likely work.

Here is one similar to what daveomak daveomak uses and has recommended. It just needs some cord wiring hooked up and it is good to go.

If you do the simple rewire on this one (at the circuit board) you the MES plug will bypass all circuitry but still have the safety switch in the mix.
It's simply cutting the ends off 4 wires and using wirenuts to make 2 whole wires. Saves you from having to buy a power cord OR you could just gut the power cord away from the MES and put connectors on it and go straight to the heating element, you just now have to deal with fabricating a weather proof hole through it's panel and you are good to go.

There were lots of suggestions to rewire and use the Auber PID. Just to give you some info, it will control a smoker 100x better than a Masterbuilt controller because a PID will hit and hold right on the temp where Mastebuilt intentionally designed their controller to work on temp swings.
This means if you set your stock MES to 250F it will overshoot to like 265F and then drop under to like 235F giving you an average of 250F. It also rarely will hit top temp of 275F.
This matters when you want to make sausage, bacon, jerky, etc. when you need tight temp control and not temp swings or else you can ruin the food (melting out the fat from getting too hot).

Again that last bit about a PID controller is not to push you to buy one but to explain how it works and is superior to the stock MES controller should you want to convert your digital MES to become a whole new super performing smoker via rewire and a PID :D

Let me know if you have any questions :)

UPDATE: The "Frankensmoker" (wife's idea) is complete! Rewire job to bypass the digital components, and a $12 variable motor controller, this thing is good to go. Also had to mount a new latch (already had one in my box o" clamps). Did a quick test, and got it to 250 at just under full voltage. I'll spend more time tomorrow marking the temps on the dial, then fill it full of pig. Thanks for all the great suggestions here, and extra thanks to tallbm & chopsaw for the help.

Reactions: chopsaw and tallbm
I agree with all of the suggestions for an Auber PID, but for a free 2nd MES, I'm doing a complete DIY job - the cheaper the better. As I mentioned, I already have a great working digital model (which I likely will look at upgrading to an Auber), but this one is just a "let's see if this works" unit.
There are quite a few analog temp controllers on Amazon that will run that element. They run around $ 35.
I wouldn't use the one you posted since it is a PWM type supply and will end up giving up the ghost at that price.

There are quite a few analog temp controllers on Amazon that will run that element. They run around $ 35.
I wouldn't use the one you posted since it is a PWM type supply and will end up giving up the ghost at that price.
Some of them are pretty accurate too.

extra thanks to tallbm & chopsaw for the help.
Anytime , and back at ya .
This thread inspired me to put a 1500 watt analog controlled element in an old kettle I had sitting out back . I bought it while looking through this thread , and figured what the heck .
Just came up from the shop to wash the metal dust of my face .
1681669542724.jpeg

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky